cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

supasukurabu
Journeyman III

7940HS - Can we get half-working Adrenalin drivers? BSODs on 23.8.1 / 23.7.2

Just went through the hell of BSODs thanks to Adrenalin drivers so had to start a post.

I got myself a mini PC with the 7940HS chip. I was planning to dual boot Windows and Linux, and have been having all the issues with the dreaded graphics drivers from AMD. I was on 23.7.2 when I first installed Windows and already ran into a BSOD. I had spent maybe ~30 mins on Windows and went on to run Linux full time to power my VMs etc. Today I wanted to set up Windows for some light gaming, that's when the pain began.

I updated Adrenalin to 23.8.1 from 23.7.2, chose not to reboot, and minutes later Windows forced it on me anyways (BSOD). Then came the BSOD streak - minutes after bootup the OS would hang, so quick that I didn't even get to see the error msg in full. The errors pointed to ntoskrnl.exe, all at the same mem address offset (I'll link a minidump file in the post). I had enough and DDU'd the whole thing, and could use the PC just fine. I decided to give it another try so I clean installed the drivers, nope, same BSOD streak. I thought maybe I should stay on 23.7.2, so I reinstalled that version. Lo and behold, it did last longer on the old version drivers but BSOD would eventually arrive. I don't think it was able to last longer than 15 minutes. Well, at least it's better than 23.8.1's 2-3 min average!

Right now I'm typing this post on "Microsoft Basic VGA Driver". The screen resolution is fked but at least my system has been running fine for 30+ mins!

Honestly, AMD really botched the Phoenix launch. It was such a promising product line but from the beginning there'd been nothing but problems. From the paper launch to the non-working drivers, AMD kept eroding my confidence in the company. I used to own multiple AMD products from desktop to laptop chips, and the latter had always fallen short, and there's never really one Adrenalin release that was bug-free. At least my systems remained usable, unlike what I'm currently seeing.

AMD please get your acts together.

(As can be seen, all kinds of error messages / codes, same address offset. One of the minidumps that got removed even said the offending driver was storport.sys which had me wondering if my SSD was the culprit!)

Link to Minidump 

Screenshot 2023-08-21 201739.pngScreenshot 2023-08-21 201811.png

1 Reply

Have you disabled 'Fast Startup' in windows power plan?, was usually recommended for dual OS.

Personally, i would have done a clean install of the drivers considering previous issues.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes