cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kurisu
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Software not launching

My AMD Radeon Settings/ Software application, wont launch. 
Even after i have uninstalled my driver, and reinstalled it. yes i have restarted my PC.
and yes i refreshed after uninstalling the driver. and then quickly reset before reinstalling the driver. 

Driver - AMD Radeon RX 570 Series 
i pretty much tried everything. i did like 5 methods off of youtube on how to fix this issue. and nothing seems to work. 

87 Replies

You are the goat bro it actually worked 

@agrastios wrote:

If anyone wants a quick fix without reinstalling the drivers, I found one! Go into your AppData/Local/AMD/CN and delete your gmdb.blb, then restart the program or relog/restart your PC to have your Radeon Settings launching again.

Please report your finding to AMD as this can help them know exactly what component has the conflict in Windows to write a fix.

All of you with this issue report it, and what fixed it if you did, Contact AMD here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

To the OP if this users fix, fixed your issue mark his fix as a solution. 

I will mention an AMD mod as this should really get passed to engineering and hopefully he can do that. @Matt_AMD 

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

@pokesterCould the AMD Bug Report Tool be better to use?

0 Likes

You can submit it to both. The difference being that the bug report is a one way report. They don't converse with you. So I like the other as they can contact you with questions or if you have specific questions that need answers. By all means do which one fits your needs or both. 

0 Likes

"If anyone wants a quick fix without reinstalling the drivers, I found one! Go into your AppData/Local/AMD/CN and delete your gmdb.blb, then restart the program or relog/restart your PC to have your Radeon Settings launching again"

@agrastios Is this safe to delete? Im a noob in this and my adrenaline randomly stopped working and cant open it anymore. Should i use this tip or do AMD Cleanup?

I wasn't sure if it was a safe move myself. So I moved the file to the desktop and then restarted, Radeon Software started with Windows as it should and when I checked the directory that contained the file it still wasn't there. Once I launched/opened Radeon Software from the Taskbar, it took a minute to finally open, but the file was there again after it did. I think this is just a "user settings" file or something. I hope this helps someone else. If you aren't sure where the folder is search Google for "how to show hidden files and folders in X" where X is your version of Windows, then the directory will be C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\AMD\CN where X is your username, and then the file will be gmdb.blb, as previously stated.

Helped a lot!!! It actually works !! thnx!!

0 Likes

@ZekroMYou can just use my method. It is the game settings file that makes the Adrenaline program not launch, and deleting it fixes the problem. AMD Cleanup just deletes everything, which also includes the file.

0 Likes

@agrastios wrote:

@ZekroMYou can just use my method. It is the game settings file that makes the Adrenaline program not launch, and deleting it fixes the problem. AMD Cleanup just deletes everything, which also includes the file.

And my method too it solved issue instantly

0 Likes

i tried both ways and nothing. still not able to open the program

0 Likes

I guess it works for some people and for some no strange indeed

0 Likes

my graphics card is 530m and I have the same issue, and my AppData\Local\AMD\CN is empty, I tried various methods but nothing seem to work. 

0 Likes

Great finding bro :) 

0 Likes

Made an account just to say thanks. Ive tried reinstalling the amd auto driver installer like 5 times and have the latest windows update and it wasnt working. I tried this and it worked without me needing to restart. Might be because I got a new ssd to why it stopped? Thanks anyway man. 

0 Likes

"If anyone wants a quick fix without reinstalling the drivers, I found one! Go into your AppData/Local/AMD/CN and delete your gmdb.blb, then restart the program or relog/restart your PC to have your Radeon Settings launching again"

This method did not work for me.

The only way I was able to get this working again was to use the AMD cleaning utility to remove all old files, then reinstall using an older WHQL driver package (I used 19.04 or something like that). The newest installer from the AMD website did not work, it said it could not determine this was an AMD system (????). I was able to get the latest drivers from within the older installer. I said there was an error, but the AMD software now works.

0 Likes

It keeps happening even with the newest version.  Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.1.1

0 Likes

it also happens randomly, it just suddenly doesn't open and there is an error before in the event viewer

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1829, time stamp: 0x600652d4
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1829, time stamp: 0x600652d4
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000000752ebc
Faulting process id: 0x2b44
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6f355bda08164
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Report Id: 796a505b-239d-4a0e-9872-eb205e762c3f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Likes

I think this worked for me thanks: 

( I Windows 10 I use a Standard account as the main account, So the Admin account is a different one. Similar to Linux approach where you use a non Admin account.

I think this could be one of the reasons I ended up with this issue ). 

0 Likes

This worked for me initially, but only for a couple of days. 

Now, AMD Radeon software won't open, I get an error that either I don't have the driver, or something is wrong with it. Reinstalling the driver said it was successful, but I still get the same error.

I really wouldn't care so much, except that the AMD Radeon graphics itself doesn't work, when the software isn't working. 

I guess this is my long winded way of saying that my laptop is also having this problem, and I made this account to also ask for a fix, AMD. Thanks. 

0 Likes

Hey, a few days ago I received an intel graphics driver update, after which the amd graphics settings started to work fine after almost a year. I don't know if that update or another fixed the problem for me but it works all fine now!

0 Likes

Interesting! I just got this laptop about a month ago, so one of the first things I did was updates. 

I'm also on a Reddit sub for my laptop series, and interestingly enough, someone posted this same issue last night. 

The first comment explains everything, at least with these systems (Lenovo Legion laptops) It's hybrid mode. If you turn off hybrid mode, it causes the AMD Radeon software to fail to load or, install. So, every time hybrid mode gets toggled off, AMD Radeon software will not work. 

I had just turned off hybrid mode to run some benchmarks earlier in the day yesterday. Sure enough, once I turned it back on, I have use of the Radeon graphics and software, after I reinstalled the drivers and software, again.

Before I found the hybrid mode solution, I tried using the AMD Cleanup tool, and reinstalling everything first, as suggested in this thread. 

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else! 

And AMD, please take note of this, and use it to fix this problem, please! Although this "solution" is better than nothing, I don't consider it a "fix," since I can't use hybrid mode how I'd like, without messing up AMD Radeon software and graphics. 

0 Likes

To join in with the repeated question, is there a fix for this?
I have an RX 5600 XT and am also experiencing this issue.

I upvoted the original message and strongly advise everyone else to do the same so it hopefully alerts AMD support.

After installing the newest driver through the AMD software, I can turn hybrid mode off without having to reinstall the software when I turn hybrid mode back on. 

@Suzuki_GSX 

I don't think you're having the same issue as everyone else in this thread, or at least your solution won't solve for the rest of us. I am not using a Laptop. I don't have a Hybrid mode. My power setting is in Ryzen Balanced and changing it to High Performance makes zero difference in the software failing and requiring a reinstall. 

I am still on average re-installing drivers and software at least once per week. There has still been no acknowledgment from AMD that there even is an issue, and there has now been 3 driver updates since I started having this issue, none of which have fixed the problem. 

0 Likes

@Suzuki_GSX @jtjones8992 

When reinstalling are you just downloading the latest drivers and running an install or are you wiping the folders an drivers an then same in safe mode, then installing? I've seen some different approaches.

0 Likes

@GnrySgtSkitlz 

I have done multiple different approaches. 

Uninstall and reinstall without any reset or cleanup. This does not fix the problem at all, not even temporarily. 

Reinstall with a factory reset. This fixes the issue temporarily. 

Uninstall all drivers using AMD Cleanup Utility in safe mode and reinstall drivers. This again only fixes the issue temporarily.

Since this happens so often, I usually just use the factory reset option because it is faster and easier. If another option fixed it permanently, I would do that, but I have yet to find a permanent fix.  

0 Likes
johnbelley
Adept I

It might possible due to the version of AMD Radeon Settings and the version of the driver may be mismatched. You can fix it using Registry Editor.

0 Likes
UltraViolet
Journeyman III

Hello, 

I am also having same problem today after yesterdays windows 10 garbage update of whatever it was can't remember. 

I have an ASUS Vega 56 software was running perfectly fine until windows 10 killed it.

I have reinstalled it 3 times no luck any one solved issue yet? 

0 Likes
UltraViolet
Journeyman III

@kurisu wrote:

My AMD Radeon Settings/ Software application, wont launch. 
Even after i have uninstalled my driver, and reinstalled it. yes i have restarted my PC.
and yes i refreshed after uninstalling the driver. and then quickly reset before reinstalling the driver. 

Driver - AMD Radeon RX 570 Series 
i pretty much tried everything. i did like 5 methods off of youtube on how to fix this issue. and nothing seems to work. 

Hello, 

I found a fix actually after reinstalling it 3 times all you guys had to do before agreeing to install it you have to click FACTORY SETTING RESET and then proceed to accept installation and finally completely delete AMD files in local C drive I did that manually and with the help of a free software called IObit Uninstaller. Hope this solves everyone's issue. Now I am running 20.11.2 version and it launched no problem the software. 

0 Likes
packetloss
Adept I

0 Likes
de3zy5000
Journeyman III

go to task manager and end all amd/radeon tasks. Then restart amd software. 

0 Likes
OvFire
Adept I

+1

A day doesn't go by without the software crashing multiple times while just sitting still on the status bar, re-adding itself to the status bar .. but unable to open from there nor the Start Menu. Logging out or rebooting will always temporarily fix the issue, though. This has been happening for months with me, despite multiple updates. The symptoms/behaviour are always the same. Running an RX 5700 XT with the latest Win10 version and the latest AMD Radeon Software version, always.

0 Likes

Well I went ahead and installed the latest from AMD for my Graphics Card (20.2.2).

I selected the option to remove all previous and after 2 required restarts things are going ok.

Will report back in a week if there are no issues...

But I'm not holding my breath

0 Likes

Brand new RX 6900 XT. I had this same issue - couldn't load/open the AMD Radeon software.

My GPU worked fine with the AMD drivers otherwise, I just couldn't change settings, monitor, or anything else because the software wouldn't load. The issue just started when I turned on my computer normally. After searching the corners of the internets I stumbled upon a seemingly simple solution.

I navigated to - C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\AMD and renamed the "CN" folder. Renaming it forced the AMD software to create a new CN folder the next time it started up - BUT IT DID START UP!

My Radeon software has been fine ever since, through a dozen or so reboots and power ons. I hope this helps and I also hope some mod on this forum knows someone on the software dev side at AMD and can forward them this info. I had the same issue with my old Vega 64 years ago and the issue still exists to this day.

I wonder why AMD doesn't address this properly.

Can confirm - renaming CN folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\AMD fixed this on my Vega 56. Thank you!

0 Likes

@alceryesYou don't have to delete the whole CN folder and wipe all the data, deleting a single file is enough: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-radeon-software-not-launching/m-p/166158/highlight...

0 Likes

So in the ...AppData/Local/AMD/CN folder all I need to do is delete the gmdb.blb file.

Good to know. Thanks!

If only AMD would actually fix the issue so that people don't have to go around deleting files to get the AMD GPU software to load. This issue has been around for AT LEAST the last 4 years. Probably longer.

0 Likes

Can Confirm. This Works. 

I actually just deleted the folder instead of renaming. As soon as I launched the software, it re-created the folder. Problem Solved. Hopefully AMD pays attention to this post and puts a fix in a future driver/software update. 

If you are experiencing an issue with AMD Software not launching, please download 22.3.1. and prior to installing the driver, please try performing a factory reset. Instructions on how to perform a factory reset prior to installation can be found here.

If you continue to experience this issue after performing a factory reset and updating to the 22.3.1 driver, please open a new discussion providing the information required here.

0 Likes