cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

MarcF
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Pro W6600 Video Card Driver Question

Can somebody tell me if the drivers for the AMD Radeon Pro W6600 video card will also work with the AMD Radeon Pro W7500 or W7600?  We purchased Dell 5820 workstations a few years ago that came with AMD Radeon Pro W6600s.  We need to purchase spare video cards, but our vendor tells us that the W6600 is no longer available.  We've been told that the W7500 or W7600 is functionally compatable.  However, what I need to know (and can't seem to get anybody to answer for me) is if I would have to change the installed video driver in order to swap out a failed W6600 and replace it with a new W7500 or W7600.  We maintain strict software configuration control and if I have to change video drivers that would be a problem.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

This is the "Release Notes" for the latest AMD W6600 Pro driver (12/13/2023) : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-23-q4

Screenshot 2024-01-09 154635.png

So, at least, this last version of AMD Pro driver is compatible with both the w6000 and w7000 series Pro GPU cards.

Check both W6600 and W7600 AMD Driver download and they are both the same driver for each download.

Now since you have a OEM DELL Workstation not sure if Dell requires its own OEM AMD Pro drivers to work on their PC or not.

So, any of the compatible Pro GPU cards listed should work on a PC with the above installed AMD Pro Driver unless the PC requires Propriety type OEM AMD drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MarcF
Journeyman III

I want to add some addition information.  The driver we are presently using is the AMD Radion Pro W5500 30.0 13018.2.  What I need to know is, could I switch out an AMD Radion Pro W5500 or W6600 card and replace it with an AMD Radion Pro W7500, W7600, or W7700 and not change the driver?

0 Likes
Eliminater74
Adept I

When considering compatibility of drivers across different models of AMD Radeon Pro graphics cards, there are a few key aspects to consider:

1. **Unified Driver Architecture**: AMD often employs a unified driver architecture for its Radeon Pro series. This means that a single driver version is typically designed to support multiple graphics card models within the same series. This approach simplifies driver management for users with different models of AMD graphics cards.

2. **Specific Models in Question**: In your case, you're asking about the compatibility of the AMD Radeon Pro W6600, W7500, and W7600 with the driver version for the AMD Radeon Pro W5500 (30.0 13018.2). In theory, given AMD's approach to driver development, it's likely that the same driver could support all these models, as they are part of the same Radeon Pro product line.

3. **Driver Version**: The specific driver version you mentioned is designed for the Radeon Pro W5500. While it's possible that this driver also supports the W6600, W7500, W7600, or W7700, the compatibility can depend on the specific features and hardware differences between these models.

4. **Best Practice**: The best practice is to refer to AMD's official driver download page or their support resources. AMD provides detailed information about which driver versions are compatible with specific graphics card models. Checking the release notes of the driver can also provide clarity on supported models.

5. **Software Configuration Control**: Since you maintain strict software configuration control, it's essential to verify the compatibility beforehand to avoid any potential issues. A change in driver version might require an update in your software configuration management records.

6. **AMD Support**: If the information is not clear from the AMD website, it's advisable to contact AMD's customer support directly. They can provide definitive information on driver compatibility with specific models.

In summary, while it's likely that the driver for the Radeon Pro W5500 could be compatible with the W6600, W7500, W7600, and W7700 models due to the unified driver architecture, it's crucial to confirm this with AMD to ensure smooth operation and adherence to your software configuration control protocols.

0 Likes

This is the "Release Notes" for the latest AMD W6600 Pro driver (12/13/2023) : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-23-q4

Screenshot 2024-01-09 154635.png

So, at least, this last version of AMD Pro driver is compatible with both the w6000 and w7000 series Pro GPU cards.

Check both W6600 and W7600 AMD Driver download and they are both the same driver for each download.

Now since you have a OEM DELL Workstation not sure if Dell requires its own OEM AMD Pro drivers to work on their PC or not.

So, any of the compatible Pro GPU cards listed should work on a PC with the above installed AMD Pro Driver unless the PC requires Propriety type OEM AMD drivers.

0 Likes

Thats not what I asked.  What I need to know is if the old driver, the one that shipped with the W5500 or W6600, will work with the later video cards (W7500, W7600, and W7700).  I know that the newer drivers will work with the older cards.  What I need to know is if the older driver will work with the newer cards.  I am trying to avoid having to change the drivers on my old workstations.  They are highly secured machines with a tightly controlled software configuration.  If I change the drivers, then the machines need to be recertified.

0 Likes

Okay then un-mark my answer as solution since you weren't clear in your original post. All you mentioned was whether the w6000 series and w7000 series drivers are compatible " Can somebody tell me if the drivers for the AMD Radeon Pro W6600 video card will also work with the AMD Radeon Pro W7500 or W7600?"

Where do you mention about "OLD" AMD drivers W6000 series working with the W7000 series.

Plus you never mentioned the Old AMD Driver version to look up.

Here are all the previous AMD Drivers for the W6600 card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro/amd-radeon-pro-...

The AMD Driver from 2021 shows it to be compatible with the W6600 but doesn't mention about the W7000 series:

Screenshot 2024-01-11 093840.png

While the oldest W7600 AMD driver from 2023 doesn't mention anything with the W6000 series cards.

So the only person who can answer your question is AMD Moderator of Pro GPU cards @fsadough .

He will be able to tell you if your previous W6600 AMD Driver is compatible, once you post the previous AMD driver version and OS,  with the newer 7000 series Pro GPU cards or not.

While waiting for an answer from @fsadough  I suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT ticket and asked them and see if they can answer your question. Otherwise you will need to wait for FSADOUGH to answer from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

No they are not.