cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

glauxtheowl
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 stopped Adobe Premiere from working

I just upgraded my GPU from the Ati Radeon HD 7850 2GB that came with my PC, to a Sapphire AMD Radeon NITRO+ RX 580 8GB card.

The card works absolutely fine, I downloaded the latest drivers for it and tested it on various 3D applications.

But now I've just discovered that Premiere Pro and Media Encoder won't start up. I just get the startup screen, but nothing happens, it just hangs there without loading any libraries until after a few minutes the system tells me it's stopped responding.

I am on Windows 7 64bit.

I tried uninstalling Premiere (including preferences) from Creative Cloud and re-installing. No change. I also tried rolling back to a previous version (12.1.1) but still no change.

Interestingly, if I install the 2017 version of Premiere, it works fine, but it loads more slowly than ever before. If I go to the GPU selection screen, there's no GPU acceleration option, everything is greyed out apart from Engine Software. It looks like Premiere is not recognising my AMD card, despite the Radeon Settings utility telling me that I have both OpenGL and OpenCL drivers correctly installed for the card. With my old Ati Radeon card I could use GPU acceleration in Adobe no problem. I thought the Nitro+ card was supposed to be compatible with Adobe CC? I posted on the Adobe forums but I received no reply.

I don't have an on-board display adapter I can switch to for testing purposes and my old GPU has been sold, so now I am stuck.

Help!! How do I get Premiere and Media Encoder to recognise my new GPU?

0 Likes
0 Replies