cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AMD Graphics card drivers keep getting disabled, and defaulting to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

My AMD Graphics card (RX 6700XT) drivers keep getting disabled, and defaulting back to the Microsoft Display Driver. This always happens after about 20mins. The screen goes black and the system is still running. I reboot, and check device manager, for the RX6700 XT  and it shows 'This device is disabled (Code 22). So you enable the device, and it comes back with ' This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31) Rebooting sometimes fixes the issue. This is driving me crazy. It seems stable for a week or two and then it goes back to crashing. The only thing i can think of is that the card is going faulty. But i am not seeing any tearing or artifacts in games. Can any one assist please? 

System Specs

AMD 6700Xt (PowerColor Hell Hound)

Ryzen 5 5600x

MSI B550 - A Pro

AMD adrenalin edition 24.2.1

Windows 11 Pro 23H2

I have tried reboots, clean boots, safe mode boots, updating drivers, windows updates, stopping Windows updating drivers, updating BIOS. Re-installing Adrenaline edition. 

4 Replies
brakespear
Adept II

was it a new GPU? I had this with a 7600 and it turned out to be an issue with the PSU, under load the GPU was drawing more power than the PSU could supply so the driver would halt and black screen the PC.

It was a second hand GPU. It's only a 650w PSU. Which i think is the minimum for what is required. I might try to change it out and  see

0 Likes

I have upgraded to a 850W PSU. As per brakespear's suggestion. I will post back if it works

0 Likes
unklesim
Journeyman III

I got that with 680m - i solved the issue by updating driver via "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" - unticking 'show compatible hardware' and scrolling down to my specific card (Radeon 680m in my case).
Hope that helps

0 Likes