cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

macWizard
Journeyman III

AMD BootCamp Driver with Autodesk Fusion 360

I am running Win 10 Pro on an external USB-C SSD. The iMac is a 2019 27in Retina 5K with Core i5 and Radeon Pro 570X. I am not using any external displays. If it helps, I followed this tutorial for the installation process.

Windows works fine and so do most basic apps including Office. The issues I am facing are with some applications that use 3D rendering. Blender 3.61 is very unstable at startup, sometimes it goes to a white screen and crashes, other times it works perfectly fine. I am facing similar issues with Autodesk Fusion 360, a hard crash at startup, screen goes black for a second, when it reappears the application has crashed. 

I believe this is an issue with my graphics drivers as those applications work fine in MacOS.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers as well as downloading them directly from AMD. When I download from AMD for this model GPU, it says no AMD graphics card was detected in my system. I believe this may be due to Apple doing something finicky in the hardware. The drivers I am currently using that detect and install are the ones from the Apple Windows Support Software I downloaded from Boot Camp Assistant during the setup process (described in the aforementioned guide). They seem very old and outdated which I believe may be the source of my issues. For those wondering, I have tried the latest from BootCampDrivers.com and am still experiencing the same issues. 

I've looked elsewhere and cannot find someone experiencing a similar issue. Is there a troubleshooting tool I am missing? Device manager doesn't turn up anything useful and when I select 'Update Drivers' it says I am running the best drivers for this hardware.

0 Likes
1 Reply

Try posting at AMD Forums Radeon ProRender : https://community.amd.com/t5/radeon-prorender/ct-p/amd-radeon-prorender

Maybe someone there with Apple PCs can help you with your Blender or Autodesk Fusion 360 issues and AMD driver.

Even though it is a Forum for AMD ProRender someone might be able to assist you in the right direction.

NOTE: It is possible the issue could be incompatibility running Windows from a external SSD. As a last resort maybe do a duo OS boot with Windows Boot-camp and MacOS if possible to see if you see have issues. But that would be only as a last resort since it would be a pain in the neck to do and undo. Just a suggestion to eliminate the external Windows SSD as the culprit.

But since you mentioned everything works fine except those two programs than probably it isn't a external Windows SSD issue.

0 Likes