Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Chrissy8283
Adept II

Amd Adrenaline Default Settings allows my GPU to OC way too high

Hello!

I have a: "ASRock Phantom Gaming RX 7900 XTX OC"
It's designed to boost up to 2615MHZ

I already swapped it out once, because i kept getting BLACK SCREENS, FPS DROPS and STUTTERS.
I recently found out, why it happens!

First i thought, it was due to my Powersupply, but no it's not! Because the GPU could draw up to 490W without any problems and when i limited it to 320W the crashes also happened.

Then i saw, that it clocked up to 2800MHZ, and sometimes even 2900MHZ and rarely over 3000MHZ...
Everytime the Clock was HIGH and the POWER Usage was HIGH, I kept Clock Drops thus power usage drops thus lags or even if it was extrem black screens.

Now that i enabled "Performance Tuning" in Adrenaline (latest version: 24.1.1) and enabled clock rate advanced tuning.
The default value, popping up when turning from 100% to mhz version is always between 2850 and 2950. (it's randomly between that)

Obviously that's way too high.

So i limit it to 2650Mhz (more than advertised from the manufacturer) and now i haven't got any issues at all!!!

When i do automatic overclocking, it clocks the gpu to 3100-3200mhz... no way an air cooled GPU could handle that forever...

Please AMD fix that!!!!!

Sincerely

6 Replies
Chrissy8283
Adept II

Here is a Video which proofs that. (Note I have the Language set to GERMAN)

0 Likes
ReViolent
Adept I

I have the same problem with my Powercolor 7900xtx Hellhound. 
Adrenaline defaults to "Max Frequency (MHz): 2915".
My card is rated listed with max boost 2525MHz. 
Result is 100-110 degrees celsius on Helldivers 2 intro movie.
Whenever the graphic drivers crash it always defaults back to 2915MHz.
Max fan speed also defaults to max 40%.

0 Likes
Portertome
Journeyman III

Holy **bleep** I just noticed tonight, I just got my AS Rock Phantom 7900 xtx last week to be fair, how high the clocks were by default in MSI AB. Mines same as yours but it’s been set to 2955 max clock. It usually goes to just under 2900 and just holds that clock super steady. My temps have been low too, highest 65 C and 90 C on hotspot. But that’s for a moment and rare. Usually my hotspot is in the high 60s-mid 80s. So idk I’m not seeing any reason to lower the clock. If I start getting stutters and crashes like you I might. But for now it’s surprisingly doing well. 

0 Likes
Portertome
Journeyman III

Nope nvm lol, you’re right. I changed it to 2617 and it had way better frame times lol. I’m surprised it handled it though. Low temps and not crashing. Must of done pretty good on the silicone lottery with this one. Still those clocks were just too high at those default power settings. I’ll just stick with 2617 to be safe 

0 Likes

I’m glad I listened to you guys. Not only is the frame times better but the junction temp stays in the high 60s-70s under load now. So that’s way better for longevity 

0 Likes

I am crashing in games on rx 7600 maybe it's this issue? not sure how to fix it rip

0 Likes