cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Volvodemort
Adept I

Adrenalin Edition™ Driver 23.11.1 Crashes In Red Dead Redemption 2 Online

Intermittent crashes with AMD Graphics Drivers. Many times the game crashes with ERR_GFX_STATE. Crashes have been occurring for the last three releases of the drivers (all that I have had). System is 7950X3X, 7900 XTX, Gigabyte 670E motherboard, 64GBytes DDR5, 2TBytes Gen5 RAID 1, 10Ge, etc.

Building another 7950X3D system for my partner and had to pull the 7900 XTX because of the continual crashing in Red Dead Redemption. Now replaced the video card with an Nvidia 4090. and about to find out how stable the Nvidia driver is with this game. Surely it can't be as bad as the AMD driver.

4 Replies
dfdfgdgd
Journeyman III

Hey, had the same issue, AMD drivers are weird as **bleep**.i downgraded the driver version and now it works, hope this helps.

0 Likes
Volvodemort
Adept I

I should also have reported on the progress or in this case the lack of progress of the second system build. The new PC is just sitting unused on the desk waiting for my partner to install her applications and data.

We've been playing with friends online and my game crashes when posse leader is a significant problem. We can all lose progress as all members of a posse are booted out of an instance on link loss of the leader. She hasalso seen my crashes when playing solo. She has witnessed my continuing stream of crashes and AMD bug reports without any end in sight. So appears to be very reluctant to comit to a move off her current server. I recycled an old HP Z series with over 80 GBytes of RAM, etc. To boost performance a later addition was a mid-level 30 series Nvidia card for her game machine. I really should go and check exactly what went into that machine. Think it was a Nvidia 3060 Ti card.

Catch is she has been experiencing very intermittent system crashes since the installation of the 30 series Nvidia card. Guess the higher performance Nvidia 4090 might just deliver those crashes just that little bit faster.

So no progress to report for the alternate build

0 Likes
terminusaquo
Adept II

That exact crash happened for me on a 6700XT when using the Vulkan API, to the point where you couldn't even launch the game. However switching to DX12 using settings from another person's install, the game starts using Vulkan on Windows for some reason and crashed so quickly that no settings files were created, fixed it for a while but that error showed up again persistently. I never got it fixed but I'll give it a try again and see if I can get it running.

0 Likes
Volvodemort
Adept I

Here there is another PC with an old Radeon RX570 series card and no problems. Only becomes an issue on the latest hardware.

Yesterday I spent all afternoon documenting every aspect of this PC's history (3 motherboards from 3 manufacturers to go from a GODLIKE to get a mostly functional build). Then as an afterthought I added a post about the second PC build and that first post evaporated.  

0 Likes