cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xlox
Forerunner

adrenalin 2020 black screen video_tdr_failure

Hi since adrenalin 2020 , i've got black screens happening randomly ("black screen" but must be a bsod with loss of display from the gpu , screen turns black , hard drive writhing things than computer reboots after 30s/1min)

with "whocrashed" i see the error is "video_tdr_failure" in atikmpag.sys

I rolled back from 20.2.1 to 19.11.3 and I have absolutely no problem with 19.11.3

i'm on radeon vii + 3900x + x570 + 32Go gskill

someone has a clue ?

reporting weird reading from task manager since 2020 adrenalin ... "compute 2" graph missing for example

18 Replies
igni
Adept II

Try disabling HBCC, Anti-Lag, and Enhanced Sync if you have  those enabled.

Regards,

(Junk drivers.)

thanks ! but I never activate any of these

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Add a TdrDelay.

1. Go to your registry: Start --> Run --> Type in "Regedit"

2. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers" and create a key of type "DWORD (32-bit)" and name "TdrDelay" with a value of "a" (no quotes), which is 10, as Hexadecimal value.

0 Likes

that doesn't really help or fixes the issue (tried that already), also radeon vii owner. 

It just gives more time before system tries to recover the driver when its hanged/crashed.

In fact I spoke about the problem to amd support ,

despite having no issues with ram (memtest ran for 3h30) or being asolutely stable with 19.11.3,

they wanted me to test ram @3200 (my rams are at 3600 (4x4400 sticks)) and a reset bios to default etc, but I didn't have the time to test that yet, and even if it solves the problem I wouldn't be satified with the solution as 19.11.3 are fine

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

I have 20.2.2 installed for two days , gaming + working on triple screen .. seems ok for now !

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

ok new black screen just happened ...

whocrashed doesn't indicates the same problem (now whea error ) , but the crash is exactly the same ... black screen - writes dump - restart...

going back to 19.11.3

0 Likes
gunnels
Journeyman III

I realize that you probably have a lot of reasons to *not* do this, but my system has not black-screened for 36 hours now (it was doing so every 2-3 hours).  I installed the newest version of the Enterprise drivers and, since then ... no problems.  For me, it's worth it, at least in the short term.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

This is the main problem for my 5600xt.

0 Likes
ryeloc
Adept II

I'm having this same exact issue. Tried 20.3.1 and 20.2.2 both do the same thing, black screen timeout and system reboot after about a minute. Reviewing the memory dump with WINDBG it says the following. I might rollback to an older driver, but I really think AMD should be looking into this. I put my memory modules @ 2400 and still get the same issue. Had them previously @ 3200. I also formatted and installed fresh OS with the drivers below and issue still remains. System specs below

Hardware:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
Motherboard: Auros X570 Ultra
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) - F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Drive1: Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive2: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 SSD
Drive3: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" SSD
PSU: Corsair HX850i Platnium + Type 3 Cables
Monitor 1: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ 31.5" WQHD 144Hz FreeSync Curved
Monitor 2: LG 32" 32GK650F 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case: Corsair - Obsidian 500D RGB SE ATX Mid Tower Case

Software:
Windows 10 64 bit 1909
Radeon Software Version: 20.2.2
Motherboard BIOS: F12e

******************************************************************************* *                                                                             * *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    * *                                                                             * *******************************************************************************  VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed. Arguments: Arg1: ffff838688edf010, Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context (TDR_RECOVERY_CONTEXT). Arg2: fffff80088670818, The pointer into responsible device driver module (e.g. owner tag). Arg3: ffffffffc0000001, Optional error code (NTSTATUS) of the last failed operation. Arg4: 0000000000000003, Optional internal context dependent data.
0 Likes
voleon
Journeyman III

Does anyone actually have a fix yet? This seems to be far too widespread of an issue to just me a hardware issue.

0 Likes
dragoonxx
Journeyman III

I've been having the exact same issue. i've tried virgin install (on a separate drive) with nothing but os and drivers...still crashed, set TDR recovery to 8, then 10... still crashing- the interesting thing (to me) is one monitor (which is connected via Displayport to DVI - and i've tried two different cable setups for this) will freeze when it crashes, but my TV (connected via HDMI) doesn't.

MSI Z87-GD65

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k

32 gigs DDR3 1866 (memtested for 24 hours with zero issue)

Monitor 1: Dell 2209WA

Monitor 2: Toshiba TV

Drivers tried: 20.1.3, 20.2.1, 20.4.1

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

20.4.2 "known issues" doesn't seem to solve all this problems, i won't waste my time to test 20.4.2  ... still running with 19.11.3

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

is there a way to unset the "probably resolved" state of the thread ?

0 Likes
dragoonxx
Journeyman III

it was seeming like the newest release was "good" and fixed my problem...and then starting yesterday i've had... half a dozen or more in ~36 hours...

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

I finally installed 20.4.2 as I saw two posts about 2 guys that had no problems with their radeon VII and 20.4.2 ... And I'm pleased to confirm that it's been 3-4 days (24h/24) and no blackscreen happened, no reboot, nothing , it's seem stable for me

playing with oc (2155mhz and 1200 mhz ram)  and working with triple screen , everything seems smooth with these one

(well done ?)

0 Likes

I've a new PC and for me 20.4.1 and 20.5.1 didn't fix anything. Still crashing with TDR Failure. I deinstalled the Radeon Software and no crashes...So why they say "check your RAM" or other things when it's definitely their software????I'm so angry about this! I can't bring the Radeon Software to work. I tried nearly EVERYTHING I found in this forum and other forums. Whats wrong with AMD? Why the 5xxx series are so?

I've a Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E

3600MHz RAM CL16 manually set to 3200MHz because ASUS also have problems with DOCP -.-

My PSU has enough power. Its a bequiet Straight Power 11 750W Platinum.

Also I tried several BIOS settings such as PCIe Gen 3 and so on. NOTHING worked.

0 Likes

sorry, can't tell for 5700xt , i have a VII that works fine now with adrenalin 2020 with 20.4.2 and 20.5.1... had this TDR problem with adrenalin since 19.12.1 so I stayed with 19.11.3 for months

0 Likes