cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

6700XT random pc freezing since v22.11.2 and with every new driver and even now with v23.7.2

I have this problem for months.

I want to continue here because old discussion is mess. old discussions: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/pc-freezing-in-several-games-using-a-6700-xt-and-runni... and https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/6700xt-pc-freeze-during-dota-2-match/m-p/611028#M17601...

All drivers updated, mb bios updated, fresh windows and after 19 days pc did freeze. This time during company of heroes 3 match.

I did run stress test in radeon software and all was good. stress test 600s and gpu oc.

38 Replies
AMD_cire
Challenger

I still stuck in 22.11.2 as the best stable I can have.

Newer than that I still get display wont up when already in sleep mode too long (randomly happens).

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not use sleep mode so I can not say If I have same problem.

0 Likes
NewUser_
Adept I

My stable driver is 21.6.2 with 1150mV voltage and 2469Mhz Clock. Play the longest 5 hours RDR2 without any crash.

But then my windows update it automatically to 22.x.something, then suddenly it crashes. I try to DDU it and install 21.6.2 again. But even with same setting, it still crashes. What a sad day. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can prevent windows update to install drivers.

0 Likes

Yeah already did that now after it update itself, but its too late. Now i cant play RDR2 more than 5 mins with the same setting before it updated. 

Even with the same exact setting for BIOS and GPU Undervolt/Underclock. I log my fix and write the detailed config from BIOS, windows, and GPU. I did the same exact things, but it crashed. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

no word from from amd about this problem and others have same problem too for months. https://www.reddit.com/r/radeon/comments/xbqggp/problem_with_my_rx_6700_my_pc_freeze/?rdt=33840

I can still hear sound but image will freeze and only restart will help.

same problem with ryzen 2700x and ryzen 5800x3d.

even without xmp this problem will happen.

I will try win key + alt + shift +b that will refresh driver and maybe it will help.

I will try older drivers than v22.11.2

6700xt owners can you share name of your motherboard?

Anonymous
Not applicable

installed v23.7.1, enabled c state, set balanced power plan, disabled hardware acceleration in edge browser and now I wait to see will my pc freeze again.

I think edge browser is always running and its using hardware acceleration so maybe that can be problem.

0 Likes

You can see my detailed problem and spec on:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rx6700xt-black-screen-on-main-display-green-screen-on-...

and i dont even have edge, i installed spectre after default win1122H2 crash so badly even on loading screen. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

driver version 23.8.1 and problem still there.

I do not know what to try and what to do.

Played baldurs gate 3 and armored core vi and warzone 2 without problem.

I did try win-ctrl-shift-b but no respond.

It happened in coh3 main menu but I did use firefox browser.

all monitors connected but only 1 turned on and in use so that is not problem.

Creations
Adept I

I just got my 6700xt maybe a month ago and at first I had no issues, but since 23.8.1 I keep having crashes while playing BF1. I have the same issue with 23.8.2

sadly, I can't rollback drivers so for now idk what to do. hopefully I can play starfield without crashing after 30 minutes.

my setup is a 7700x, with a 6700xt.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

on reddit others did report same problem during 2023 and even with other cards from 6000 series and some reported this problem near end of 2022.

its driver problem, maybe driver versions from summer 2022  and older will not have this problem but they are old.

AMD did not fix this for 10 months or more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/13co2ri/screen_freezing_while_gaming_but_sound_still_on/?r...

one person said if you wait 10-15min freeze will end but I did not try it and its not solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

v23.8.2 problem still there.

Ok so maybe it will or will not solve the problem. But last night i play RDR 2 for hours using 1200mV and 2581Mhz (default RX6700XT boost frequency, tune it down from 2664 default adrenaline setting) and this is the important question, did your monitor support freesync?? If not then turn it off either on global display setting (if your monitor didnot support freesync you cant turn it on, but if your monitor support freesync try to turn it off too) or in the game setting itself.

Im using ipason 165Hz monitor that didnot support freesync but in game tab setting (in the adrenaline app, open the game select your game and three dot search for freesync) the freesync is set at AMD optimized. I turn it off and my problem is gone (for now at least, i only try it for 3 hours last night). Just try it and let me know. 

0 Likes

so i had the same Problem with my setup, the problem was the Ram after i switched it the Problem did not occure any longer.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still think it could be about ram but ram did pass memtest86 and windows memory test.

did you have 4 sticks and how many sticks you have now?

can you name model and speed you had before and same for ram sticks you have now in pc?

0 Likes

i had 2 Ram sticks, but my setup is on am5 that means its a little different.

The Rams were from G.skill, i dont remember which exactly they were(now i have corsair). The tests also didn't find any problems.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

even with default gpu settings in radeon software and ram xmp disabled problem did happen.

all 3 monitors support free sync and in radeon software I did keep free sync disabled for all 3.

I did disable free sync in monitor settings yesterday I did not do that before.

1 monitor have premium free sync.

2 monitors have adaptive sync in radeon software but in monitor settings and on box one have gsync and other have adaptive sync but they are same model.

I just saw even when I disable freesync in radeon software that option is set to amd optimized when you click on icon of games and open settings for each game in radeon software.

0 Likes

Hi, have you checked the temps? Usually random freezing are caused by reaching temperature limits, though could be memory issues or even bottlenecks.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

temps are good, pc case have good airflow with 8x140mm fans at 1600rpm. 6700xt strix have good cooling 1.7 kg and 3 fans and even with oc in games hotspot is 73c. 5800x3d temp during gaming around 75c max.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try to collect and post here all testing and things I tried last few months from previous posts.

I try to find solution since march 2023 and some questions are repeating (example: are your temps high?).

Only one change did make difference and that is mpo disabled.

0 Likes

Think that's a good idea. So it can be narrowed down by excluding common causes.

0 Likes
vapedroidzs
Journeyman III

I think edge browser is always running and its using hardware acceleration so maybe that can be problem

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think same and I did disable hardware acceleration in edge browser settings but freeze did happen again and maybe edge will still use it even when you disable hardware acceleration in options.

I will try to find way to disable hardware acceleration in reg or group policy and same for edge if its possible.

0 Likes
tb2k4
Journeyman III

1.) freeze after 19 days all the time and consistently at in that time frame?

2.) freeze even if idle at 19 days, or only when playing COH3?

3.) after you recover, check event viewer and scheduler and see if it tells you and errors / what it was doing right before crash

4.) if random, or occurs under load, then possible physical / hardware issue and not software

5.) swap out RAM, check CPU connections, check internal PSU cables (to 8pin to CPU, Mobo24pin, SATA, molex, and GPU 6/8pin of course), miners see system instability due to burnt out power cable (any of them, especially to GPU).  sometimes hard to notice, look for burn mark or smell., bad PCI extenders, etc.. so any of these issues are possible with gaming rig too.

6.) storage also possible issue. overheat ?

7.) swap out all peripherals and test.  mice, keyboard, other internal cards, etc.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

if I enable mpo it will happen after few matches of coh3 or after few days, If I disable mpo it will happen in coh3 once in 20 days, once in 10 days, or I can say its random but more time and matches will need for freeze to happen.

It did happen in other games but it is rare and hard to reproduce and in company of heroes its easy to reproduce with mpo enabled and up to 20 matches but last time with mpo on it did happen after 2-3.

In conclusion its random but mpo have impact.....

I did test gpu with oc  and 99-100% load for 7h in horizon zero dawn and all good and warzone 2 all good too. not often but cpu work at 100% for hour or 2 but not often and all is good. I did play baldurs gate 3 and game did not have crash and pc did not freeze and I have near 70-100h in game and even more if I count time in main menu.

I do not know how to use event viewer and scheduler.

6.) storage also possible issue. overheat ? I have one ssd nvme and warzone 2 on it and pc did not freeze when I played warzone... rome 2 total war, company of heroes 3, dota 2... I keep them on hdd but even if hdd over heats I should be able to use pc because windows is on ssd. PC did not freeze in horizon zero dawn and that game too is on hdd.

My pc case is define s and position of 3 hdd do not provide airflow, but I did create space for one more hdd in front of fan so that one have cooling so I can test coh3 on that hdd to see if overheat is problem but horizon zero dawn is installed on hdd that do not have airflow.

I will test coh3 with mpo enabled because that is only way to reproduce it. it happened 1 time in other games like rome 2 tw and in dota2 it did happen 3-4 times in 10 months but In coh3 since march it happened many times. After I disabled mpo  it did happen in coh3 menu when I used firefox browser in same time on other monitor.

I will check cables for any damage.

Can this problem be connected with motherboard bios? I will ask on msi forum because I have b450 tomahawk max but users with different motherboards did report same problem.

I have 4 ram sticks and I will test in coh3 with only 2 ram sticks but It will take time.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

problem did happen in coh3 and dota2 and both games are on same drive but warthunder and titanfall 2 are on same drive too and worked without problem.

0 Likes
Kalana
Challenger

Sorry if a repeating question, I tried to find all your specs through the threads opened but could find properly. Though are you using two monitors with different refresh rates?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did post links for previous disscusions from july and june but there are few more since march 2023 so I do not even know where I mentioned pc specs.

one with 144 and two with 165 refresh rate. They are all connected with display ports but one was connected with hdmi before.

problem did happen with only one monitor turned on they are all connected but two monitors are turned off because I am making some changes in my room.

I played warzone 2 and dirt rally 2 on 3 monitors 5760x1080p resolution without problem.

1 monitor have premium free sync and 2 monitors have adaptive sync in radeon software but in monitor settings and on box one have gsync and other have adaptive sync but they are same model.

even with freesync/adaptive sync disabled in radeon software but it was still enabled for every game in radeon software when you click on icon of each game so I disabled free sync in monitor settings and in radeon settings in two locations.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wait to see if problem will happen again. driver version 23.9.1, free sync disabled (3 locations).

If problem happens again I will test again with 2 ram sticks instead of 4 and I will update this post just to eliminate ram as possible problem.

I really wait your discover.

I want to upgrade too but it is bad if my monitor cannot wakre up after sleep

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happened again with driver v23.9.1

I played company of heroes 3 and firefox was minimized but song was playing and I did set it to repeat. After freeze I did turn monitor off and on and image was black but song from youtube was still playing. All 3 monitors connected and only 1 was on. I did notice every time after freeze gpu fans do not spin and keyboard can change brightnes.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I enabled mpo and done some change with ram sticks and freeze did not happen again and I still use same ram sticks.

More investigation is needed.

0 Likes
hinst
Adept I

I have the same problem with the Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card. The problem has been going on for many months and nothing helps. No overclocking of any kind. Total system lockup happens once in every 5...10 days when gaming. I tried many tweaks but nothing helped: MPO, DDU, test RAM. AMD needs to fix it. So many people have this bug. I found no evidence to believe that PSU is to blame: the lockup happens even when both CPU and GPU are well below 60% load

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

someone did report that 3070 did not have problem in same pc and some did report that changing ram fixed it for them and I did find other reports with different potential solutions so its hard to say what is problem.

if you have 4 sticks try to use your pc with only 2 for 20 days or buy new ram that should not cost much.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

30+ days all was good and now it happened again in company of heroes 3.

I did play mw3 beta, finished entire cyberpunk 2077 and played other games and all was good.

I did find more reports on reddit (recent) and its problem with 6700xt, one user said after changing to 6900xt or 6950xt pc freeze and sound still playing did not happen again but new (different) problems appeared.

we can only wait for new drivers and hope problem will be fixed.

0 Likes
hinst
Adept I

Good day people, here is what was causing PC freezing with 6700XT for me:

It was FreeSync. As soon as I turned off FreeSync, the problem disappeared. Earlier I tried all kinds of tweaks: multi-pane overlay, BIOS update, Resizable BAR, fullscreen optimisations, underclocking, and nothing helped.

Please note that I am talking specifically about system-wide freeze with Radeon 6700XT with AMD drivers in year 2023. There are of course other driver problems and scenarios which have different causes

It appears that AMD driver is allergic to FreeSync implementation in certain screens. I have AOC 24G2W1G4; it is a relatively cheap screen so yeah. This appears to be partly the screen manufacturer's fault, but also this is AMD's fault. At the very least, AMD should have better FreeSync protocol connectivity recovery code in their driver and they should provide an error message explaining what happened, instead of just freezing the entire system; such as: "The connection to your screen was lost before reboot" or something like that

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two 27g2sp(u) and one 27g2(u) monitor. freeze did happen even after I disabled freesync in radeon software and monitor settings. I did use pc around 30 days without problem before last freeze did happen.

all 3 aoc monitors report different freesync name in radeon software (gsync, adaptive sync, freesync). one monitor was not connected to my pc around 30 days and during that period I didnt have any problem but I dont remember did freeze happen once I connected it again with 6700xt or before it and maybe that monitor is reason---27g2(u)---but I will need to confirm this.

what did you do in order to disable freesync?

0 Likes

I disabled FreeSync in my screen's settings to keep it from re-enabling when I do a clean graphics driver install.

Before I disabled FreeSync, I had a crash every 5 days. After I disabled FreeSync, I survived 25 days without crash and no further crash in sight

0 Likes