cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

valaska
Adept III

7900 XTX Drivers Crash (Multiple games)

I am having extremely frequent crashes on Darktide, but i have also tried Deux Ex Mankind Divided in DX 12 and i get frequent drivers crashes (screen flicker, goes black, driver crash log pops up). My thermals are all in the 50-60s with Mankind and 70's for Darktide. DX11 on Deus Ex hasn't crashed... yet. When on DX 12 it would crash within 5 minutes, DX 11 there is horrible stuttering and hitching. I am getting drivers crash on a few UE5 indie games, too, in very specific ways (moving right in one area leads to a 100% crash rate). I have sent, probably, a few dozen crash reports to AMD so far.

System Specs

GPU 7900 XTX (XFX Merc)
CPU 7900X
RAM Trizen Z5 Neo 32gb 6000Mhz CL30 (AMD EXPO)
PSU 1000W MSI
MOBO MSI X670e Carbon Wifi
OS Windows 10Pro

I am running Catalyst, the latest driver. I do not have MSI Afterburner, I have turned PBO on the CPU from enabled to 84 thermal target. The CPU is cooled by an Arctic Liquid II 360RAD. I have attempted DDU clean drivers install twice. I have COMPLETELY clean formatted the system and tried windows a second time. The issues persist.

At this point I am at my wits ends dealing with this GPU. I had an R9 290x for 13 years and zero driver issues, zero issues what-so-ever. This GPU which is brand new as of a couple of weeks ago has been CONSTANT issues so far despite good performance, and I am seeing not hundreds but thousands of people complaining about driver crashes etc and the only solution so far is to change brands... I am near that point if I can't fix it finally.

9 Replies
valaska
Adept III

Screenshot 2023-04-09 211742.png

Turned  off surface format optimization, and tried DX12 again. Crashed in 5 minutes.

0 Likes
valaska
Adept III

Issue is hitting more games, Cyberpunk 2077 is fine but other Unreal DX12 and Unity DX12 applications are borked.

0 Likes
valaska
Adept III

CONFIRMING that this IS a problem with the current driver suite and DX12, not Unreal or Unity, this is an AMD side problem with DX12.

Disabling DX12 with a DX11 argument fixes every single application this crash is on whether it be Deus Ex or even Unreal 5 games/applications. Meaning there is nothing we can do until AMD acknowledges this issue and they haven't said a thing so far.

0 Likes
valaska
Adept III

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScL7m-EGEsA3x4-0Td7dD-HXXUngZvL52y-oRoqwvRXfK7j1Q/viewanaly...

Fill this survey out, please! He's taking it to the big Tech-Tubers since AMD is saying nothing about this and being completely silent on the matter.

0 Likes
valaska
Adept III

I have updated the system;

GPU 7900 XTX (XFX Merc)
CPU 7900X
RAM Triden Z5 Neo 64gb 6000Mhz CL30 (AMD EXPO)
PSU 1000W MSI
MOBO MSI X670e Carbon Wifi
OS Windows 11Pro

I completely reformatted and installed to a new NVME, complete reformat of windows 10 to windows 11pro. The issue... persists. I have the same crashing in several unreal programs, one of the most recent is Phantom Brigade which I might get anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours of gameplay untilt he drive crashes into Drive Safe Mode. I have these to show for it.

No overclock, no underclock... I have tried both EXPO profile and no-profile, the latest drivers, and the latest bios, even.

Screenshot 2023-07-25 142515.pngimage.pngimage(1).pngimage(2).pngimage(3).pngimage(4).pngimage(5).png

0 Likes
valaska
Adept III

There are absolutely no fixes, and you are rolling the dice with this GPU. AMD is not acknowledging this. But looking more into it, this issue is affecting hundreds of users who have started hardware surveys, they are spending hundreds of hours trying to fix their own GPUS... and AMD is completely stonewalling us.

This affects random games, you have no idea what you will be able to run, or not. It is driver side, it is AMD side. They have somehow made the 7900 XTX and 7XXX series completely unstable across multiple random games while stable on others. Hundreds of hardware configs, all have this intermitted and random issue, all of it are driver hangs and crashes. AMD is completely ignoring this.

I have been talking to AMD for months now... and they just keep asking me for DXDiag and MSinfo, over, and over, and over again. Some people get lucky and the majority of their games work... others do not. One thing that is actually consistent is that Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, AMD, etc are all ignoring this and sweeping it under the rug while they focus on nothing but modern games and addressing whatever inherent driver issues are here.

This is the main hardware survey up now... but there are others, too

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScL7m-EGEsA3x4-0Td7dD-HXXUngZvL52y-oRoqwvRXfK7j1Q/viewanaly...

0 Likes
AMDuser1337
Adept I

I know its a silly fix. But today I my 7900XTX after a year and lost 370$ new price was 1.332$

I bought a 4080. No more problems it really bothers me when my system is doing thing like this. I got the crashes from day one but I trusted AMD would fix it. (I couldnt believe this didnt get fixed at this pricepoint GPU) Every time a new driver DDU clean install. Still crashes. I lost my trust in AMD. I never felt me this alone with a "faulty device / Driver/Software from vendor"

This is my honest feeling about this.

kydexx
Journeyman III

Same issue here with a 7900xtx red devil. No one is pointing out what causes this drama with the drivers. I am not getting any help from AMD support whatsoever. I was so happy to finally be able to join team red again but the driver timeouts are too much for me. I am a competitive gamer and my games crash or freeze mid competition. I already filed my gpu for rma and im getting an nvidia card. This is really sad because i actually loved my 7900xtx but the timeouts just **bleep**ed the whole thing.

0 Likes

Even with nvidia GPUs, these factory OC cards can have issues with the OC. Most of these timeout issues are due to bad OC, PSU, or unstable memory.

Then AMD messed up with combining 7xxx CPU series with the new GPUs, with some specific bugs on that combo. That's most likely what the OP was facing.

0 Likes