cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ni6hantwork
Journeyman III

7840HS and 7640HS Integrated GPU causing black screen on boot for five minutes

Hi, over 200 people in my chat are having this issue.
After a recent update (Windows, AMD and BIOS) for the Lenovo LOQ, it started to show black screen for a long time, on almost all laptops including some other laptops that had this CPU like the Legion Slim.
I thought it had something to do with the low VRAM set by default to 512MB but it didn't fix the boot issue like I thought.

Many many other things have already been tried but I am thinking of doing some of these below. If you have any ideas, I am happy to try all of them out:
1) Disabling fast startup in Windows.

2) Going back to an older AMD Adrenaline software.

0 Likes
2 Replies

If this is slow boot problem?, some users have fixed it by updating the 'amd audio co-processor' driver from device manager (search auto......).

Also suggest you all send a bug report.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
zupalisquick
Journeyman III

Hello! I am having this exact same issue. It takes about 3 minutes to boot into windows if booting with AMD graphics. If i simply restart it doesn't happen, but if i turn off the pc completely and boot it back after it takes about 3 minutes to reach Windows 11 Home.

The only workaround i've found so far is to enable to mux-switch and bypass the AMD graphics altogether. In this case it boots in 5 seconds. However, a fix from AMD is very much necessary since the laptop gets too energy hungry with discrete graphics only, which is part of a reason why a person buys a laptop, so it is on battery power.

Everyone with this issue please do also send a report, perhaps via the Bug Report Tool in the software?

AMD, please do look into this matter. (Also the driver install software causes Windows to crash sometimes)

0 Likes