cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Clee_tor
Journeyman III

6900XT and current drivers

So I’m stumped as can be, I’m running a Ryzen 9 3900x with a 6900XT reference card and things where smooth sailing for me honestly card was doing great always running its hardest when under load. But for the past month and a half I’d say, ever since a driver update and I can’t quite remember the exact driver number but ever since I updated it the cards been running like it’s a 6700XT, across certain games it’ll go to 99% usage in menus or transition screens but then when I’m actually in the game doing something it hitches and stutters when a lot is going on in a scene and the fps drops, the card is only running at 70% max and fluctuates between that and 50%. But then certain games like Forza Horizon 5 if I uncapped the frame rate, it is using 99% of the gpu, but all the other games where uncapped as well! Also, has some weird stuttering here and there but is maxing my card out in game and in menus as it should be. And this is still a problem even after going through 3 different newer drivers that they’ve released over this month and a half. It’s almost like there’s a phantom lock on my card from being fully utilized by games, this is just some of the issues I have in a very broad description to give some idea of maybe what my problem is, I can answer any questions you may have to further help describe to you what is going on I’m just hopefully looking for some answers. Yes I’ve reinstalled, installed each of the drivers multiple times and it never helped. I’ve been dealing with this issue for a month or more and it all changed after a driver update. If anyone can help please feel free to comment ! Full specs for anyone that might need to know to help answer- Ryzen 9 3900x, RX 6900XT, G.skill Trident Z 4x8Gb @ 3200mhz, Asus Rog crosshair 8 hero mobo,  Corsair rmx1000w psu, two 500gb m.2, 2.5 inch 2tb ssd, Corsair AIO. All games are played at 1440p max settings. SAM is enabled graphics card has light overclock on it cpu is at all out of box settings.

4 Replies
Jpanman78
Adept I

Yes, mine to, it was ever since the day of latest big driver update that my 6900 xt just was putting out less performance?! I was stumped, tried a lot of things to remedy, none worth mentioning as I am still working through

This current windows 11 update seems to have fixed some issues but still is behaving oddly in a wide variety of games, some games are fine some not so much. 

0 Likes

Anyone tried killing FSO and see if there is a change in perf. on affected games.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
OpenMind23
Journeyman III

Yeah I am getting the same issues. Not sure whether it is something in my system or whether it is the AMD Adrenaline Drivers, but it cannot hurt to post here for AMD to see and possibly investigate. I have noticed that they have been fixing various stuttering issues for certain games in their drivers, but nothing globally. 

I have been having the issues with various games, including Red Dead Redemption 2, Dying Light 2 and Mad Max. Although Dying Light 2 does seem to be quite buggy generally and those issues might be a different cause. 

In Red Dead Redemption 2, I can significantly help the issue by lowering my Texture Quality from Ultra. Although I am only gaming at 1440p, so with my card I shouldn't really be getting these issues, unless I have a bottleneck in my system. I briefly had Elden Ring, but it happened with that game too so I refunded. Although it was a new release, so that again could have been a different cause. Mad Max only does it occasionally but it is an older game. I found that game prefers not to be over 120Hz (I use 144Hz so I turned it down) although I still get frame drops sometimes.

Dying Light 2 is very bad and I get constant frame drops within that game. I will pull my weapon out and it will drop from 110FPS to 50FPS and cause a significant one second freeze before returning to normal. This can happen multiple times a minute if i am moving fast through the city. 

If you think my system is at fault let me know, but I have done a lot of things to try and help these issues but with no luck. I haven't switched out any parts, but that would be my last option. If my CPU and older chipset is the cause, that will be fixed later this year when new chipsets have arrived, I am just waiting lol. 

PC SPECS:

CPU:  Intel i9 9900K  GPU: Sapphire RX 6900XT  RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR4 (3200Mhz)  MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000W  Sound: Creative Soundblaster AE-9  Monitor: LG Nano-IPS 27" 1440P (x2 Dual Setup)

Storage: WD SN850 1TB / Samsung 970 1TB Samsung 840, 850, 860x2 (4TB Total) WD Caviar Black HDD 1TB

0 Likes