cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FrutyX
Adept I

24.6.1 introduced a coil whine

I own a Sapphire RX 7600 Pulse, and after updating to 24.6.1 driver version, I started hearing a coil whine. This is happening even when I am just browsing in my browser (Google Chrome). Of course, you can also hear that during playing games. 

The GPU usage mostly sits at 1% to 2%, while running just a browser, so it's not even busy, however, I have noticed to compared to the previous version, It's using 10W more.

I have downgraded to 24.5.1 and the problem seems to be gone, it's using less W and the Memory temps seems to be a bit lower. 

I also saw on reddit, that I am not the only one with this issue on this specific driver....

6 Replies
Sikey
Journeyman III

try to undervolt your video card, this usually helps to reduce coil whine.

0 Likes
HewinFM
Journeyman III

I'm experiencing coil whine on my desktop, idle, moving windows around, and scrolling my browser.

Downgraded to 24.5.1 and it goes away and I can live in silence again.

AMD please fix.

i7-13600K

RX 6750XT

0 Likes
humanaut
Journeyman III

Same here with a stock clocked RX 6700 XT... It was never a coil whine free card, but only in some gaming scenarios, but with 24.6.1 it went crazy... I care less about coil whine if it happens while gaming, since I use a headset, but in Windows, while browsing the internet, it is unacceptable... As more people suggested it, reverting to 24.5.1 completely solved the issue. Please fix this in the next driver release!

tdmzr
Journeyman III

Same here, I have RX 6600 XT and my card had a little coil whine depending on the game but it was negligible. And now (on 24.6.1 driver) while browsing, this sound killing me.

Cory_
Journeyman III

+1 same

0 Likes
LongBranch
Newcomer

Thank you so much for posting this bro. This happened to me as well, I have a rx 6700, I have no issues with it but after this update things went downhill. Buzzing while playing games, I even get frame drops consistent with the buzzing sound. When the buzzing stops my fps dips for a few seconds. I really hope AMD fixed this because it’s really annoying. 

0 Likes