cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

IIIHazeIII
Adept I

24.1.1 higher fps but horrible stutter

This is so disappointing. I got the 24.1.1 update, I was so excited for this. I first ran a benchmark test on 3D Mark, I got a score over 1k higher than my highest score, started up New World - I run it on max graphics at 1440 and typically get anywhere from 160-220 fps with dips in high population areas. With the new update I decided to overclock my cpu and gpu using the auto feature on adreanlin, I booted up new world after a system restart and was seeing 380+ fps, but the stutter was INSANE, every 8 seconds or so it would freeze for a second and come back. I tried setting the overclocks back to default, system restart, but still stuttering. I ended up rolling my driver back to 23.12.1, set my overclocks back to auto overclock, and boom no stutter. I'm not seeing the super high fps like I was with 24.1.1 but at least it's stable. Does anyone else have this issue or know what the deal is? Seems like I'm nowhere near the only one experiencing this and had to roll back because of it.

cpu: 7800x3d

gpu: 7900xtx nitro+

12 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

One thing you can do is provide this information to the driver team by using the built in bug report tool in Adrenaline. I advise you and everyone experiencing these issues to fill out the bug report tool with as much information as you can to help them understand the problem so they can work on fixing it. 

There is also the fact that some configurations may not work well with these newest drivers. It would be impossible to optimize for every single possible hardware configuration. It could be that some people's hardware configurations don't work well with the latest drivers. If that is the case, the bug report tool can inform the driver team of the issues you and many may be facing, and let them get to work on another revision that will correct the problem.

I don't typically recommend overclocking and it could just be less stable this driver version. 

Also this information would really help anyone who may also be having issues as well as other community members that might have been able to find a fix or workaround. Information Required When Posting a Discussion - AMD Community

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I mean, I have the newest ryzen 7 and the newest Gpu configuration, so I don't think configuration is the issue. I did fill out a bug report. And what's that link for? I described my issue in detail, literally down to the steps I took. And I listed my setup (at least what is relevant). 

Your motherboard and other components could be factors. I wanted to know the entire system specs.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Obt1
Adept II

Same issue here, haven't found a way to fix it

R7 5800x

Rx 6800xt

It's ridiculous. It's like they do zero testing before rolling this stuff out and it messes people's stuff up. I literally have a setup that is full of brand new parts, it's 3 months old and people want to try to say it's a hardware issue. No, it's an amd issue. They need to fix their problems, if a 7800x3d/7900xtx config wasn't accounted for then what on earth was? I'm literally running their flagship hardware when it comes to gaming. And it's a shame because I saw a massive performance increase, but the stutter kills it. I'd go from 420 fps down to 120 for a second and then back to the 400s. If the stutter wasn't there I'd be blown away with that performance boost.

IIIHazeIII
Adept I

For context: I'm the OP, here's my full list of relevant hardware.

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800x3d

Gpu: Sapphire nitro+ 7900xtx

Ram: g.skill trident z5 neo ddr5 2x16 CL30 6000ms 

Board: Gigabyte b650 aorus elite ax

Psu: corsair rm1000x 1000w

Do you have the latest BIOS and are you using XMP or EXPO? Have you tried with EXPO or XMP off? I know it is leaving performance on the table with it off but it could be a workaround to have a more stable experience.

0 Likes

BIOS and XMP wouldn't have any bearing on the update we're talking about, that makes no sense. Nothing in the update has anything to do with the background operations of the bios or the process used in XMP. There are tons of people having the same issue as me with various configurations. This is an update issue, not an issue on our systems.

I misread your original post. I didn't read the auto-overclocking feature was used. It could be the auto-overclocking feature is not functioning well with the newest driver, and causing instability. I was under the assumption your overclock was in the BIOS, I misread the post and that made me misunderstand. This does seem like a driver level issue and hopefully it is resolved in the next driver update, being due this month at some point.

I am lucky to not be having issues with the newest driver but I admittedly only play a hand full of games, and I don't use any tuning features beyond my custom fan curve.

Sorry I couldn't really be of help.

0 Likes
V1ad6
Journeyman III

I haven't run any games after the update yet but I have little lags and stuttering even in browser sometimes after the update. That's just annoying. But at least I'm glad that now I now that it's just the driver issue and I'm not the only one to face this problem.

ryzen 5 5600g
rx 6600

Vasi23
Journeyman III

Hello,
I have the same problem with the Asus TUF 7900XTX.
After O updated my driver I have verry bad Coil Whine and horrible shuttering. I tried to go to the old version but I could not do that. 
I observed that when the GPU draws a lot of power (370W) and it's almost in every game at 99-100%. 

To be able to play my games I removed the game from the Adrenaline. I think this will make the game to run on default configuration. This will result in less FPS but playable game. 

I will sent a debug report on that. Please do this as well.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The 7900 XTX reviews mention a power draw of 360W so your Asus TUF card seems to be in the right ballpark with power consumption. What CPU do you have and how much RAM? What PSU do you have? 

0 Likes