cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

mdubAMD
Adept I

23.2.2 Driver Issue -- In-Game Overlay No Longer Works (Alt-R or Alt-Z hotkey)

Both 23.2.1 and 23.2.2 Driver updates have broken the In-Game Overlay. Try it yourself -- it won't work.

I hope the Radeon Dev team gets this and can include a fix in the next driver release! 

Every time that I install a driver, I complete a full uninstall of the prior driver with DDU. Still, when I install, I check the Factory Reset button to ensure absolutely nothing is left over from the prior driver install. In this case, I installed 23.2.1 and noticed that I could no longer use Alt-R hotkey for In Game Overlay while in MW2 with a Full Screen Exclusive display setting.

Of course, this seemed odd so I tried Spider-man and Returnal as well; sure enough, the In Game Overlay would not come up with the hotkey as it did on the 22.11.1 drivers.

I have even tried running games in a Borderless display setting and the hotkey still does not work.

10 Replies
Koyote7667
Challenger

Did you go into “preferences” and make sure the tab is “on” ? I’ve seen it disable itself for whatever reason now and again. 

0 Likes

Yes I sure did

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

You need to enable in preferences option named in-game overlay. The problem is it will always disable itself when you start your PC (I notice it on 23.2.1).

Need to wait AMD to fix it. I use In-Game Overlay just to test my new installed game. If FPS good, power consumption is good, RPM fan is good, all runs optimal without force my GPU work too hard, then I turn it off and just play the game.

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

Yes, I already have it enabled in Preferences. It still doesn't work..

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

With 23.2.2 I noticed the metrics overlay in the corner would flicker off for a second when I was at the desktop. It only happened 2 or 3 times, until I had enough and turned it off completely.  I also disable any hotkeys whenever I install/update Adrenalin drivers.

Other than that I haven't had any issues with this driver, (aside from the usual routine of uninstalling the AMD USB LED HID devices from Device Manager (and deleting driver) each time I change drivers to prevent the USB disconnect sounds).

Raeon 6950XT, Ryzen 5800x3d, Windows 10 Pro.

0 Likes
forkwny
Adept III

I reported this bug the other day using the AMD bug reporter. In my case, after enabling the in-game overlay, it disables itself randomly a few minutes later. This behavior only shows up on my AMD laptop, Ryzen 7 4700U, so I'm guessing it's a problem on systems with AMD iGPU's. My gaming PC, RX6700 XT GPU, the in-game overlay doesn't disable itself at all, it works as expected. This behavior showed up in 23.2.1 and is still an issue in 23.2.2.

-------------------------------------------------------
Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, RX 6700 XT GPU, Windows 11 Pro x64 build 23H2
Koyote7667
Challenger

IMHO, there is something odd with the overlay. It will change "size" on a whim, not to mention, it will hurt performance while running it. There is a ton of bugs with this overlay. At least from what I see.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYabmtWiRQ

I've observed similar behavior...from performance dings to some games crashing when the overlay is on. Not sure why, but it does seem to trigger some issues.

-------------------------------------------------------
Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, RX 6700 XT GPU, Windows 11 Pro x64 build 23H2
0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

Well, I put adrenalin icon in my taskbar(that located in right below), and I notice the icon gone and then re-appear sometime especially if I do alt-tab on game. It's like AMD has mini "crash" and start again silently (because the option if In-Game overlay back to disable).

So this overlay not too good, maybe use it only for check at first time game you install to see all in good condition, then turn it off

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes

It goes on and on, the deeper you look/see. 

Temps, clocks, voltage, just bugs at anytime, for zero reason. Adrenaline ...... eeesh, i dunno

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZvFznEvVwRo

0 Likes