Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

john007
Exemplar

20.1.4 Complete Mess

It's yet another Complete Mess guide.

HDMI Scaling locks to 30FPS (At least you have acknowledged the bug as listed in the driver Known Issues)

Power Efficiency feature missing from the VII and XT range. (You removed the feature from the 20.x.x driver)

Black screen of death on idle (Powerplay issue, Activating 'Anti-Lag')

3D applications utilizing 300mhz core, results in either a crash or stuttering (Phantom Lag, Powerplay issue)

Core spikes over 2500+mhz in 3D applications.

Driver GUI crashes out can corrupt the AMD driver installation results in BSOD.

Wattmann is corrupt. Still unstable after all these years.

DPM0 State for the VII is 43mhz which is far too low, results in GUI lag. (Previous driver was 25mhz)

Edited Px states take no effect with wattman or Afterburner, its still a P0 lock at 800mhz.

OC settings just seem to reset and deletes all my profiles when I'm online?

Weird IP addresses blocked from the driver? Why is my GPU driver sending inbound/outbound requests?

No games play solid 60FPS because of your stupid downclocking powerplay crap.

FRTC is missing from the GUI panel. This is required for DX applications with no vsync or framecap option. (Chill with DX9 is buggy, has no effect)

No fixes after a month? What's going off here AMD?

17 Replies
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: 20.1.4 Complete Mess

I have abandoned 20.1.4 and went back to 19.12.2 to get around all the BSOD crashing.

0 Likes

Reports on reddit point to MASSIVE ReLive Memory Leak.

Vulkan CRASHES when using dxvk or reshade, possibly crashes under normal modes too.

Dx9 performance is garbage, dxvk gives you extra 40+ FPS in Dx9 games, but vulkan crashes.

I copied 20.1.3 vulkan dll into game folder, dxvk works, but loads slower.

20.1.4 may possibly fix constant black screens on Vega 56. Haven't tried 20.1.3, but earlier versions were broken for sure.

20.1.4 has "now playing" / "current session" bug, still thinks game is running after exit. This may be related to ReLive memory leak, as ReLive could be infinitely recording nothing.

Haven't tested ReLive in borderless window, but it hasn't worked for previous 20 drivers, probably still broken.

ProTip to raytracing fans, there now is a reshade PTGI shader out there. Don't count on AMD ever sponsoring PTGI native games until next gen consoles and new hardware, which will deliberately ignore last gen cards that support GI and VRS 1.0.

I may revert to 20.1.3 to see if last driver fixes 20.1.4 bugs, but only if black screen is fixed. 20.1.4 is only useful if 20.1.3 still has black screen issues.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

can you post a link to the particular post on Reddit that you saw

0 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/evdsex/potential_memory_leak_2014/ 

User claims memory leak is with Instant replay on.

I separately noticed Control Panel still thinks my last played game is still running after exit. If there isn't a "real" memory leak in ReLive, it may actually be that ReLive is stuck recording nothing because it thinks the game is still running. Either way, Relive instant replay should stop eating memory up to the Instant Replay Duration, so it's probably a combination of both features being broken.

Another problem with 20 series:

ReLive, VSR, etc, settings are F-ing HIDDEN under the setting cogwheel, which is really bad UI design. People need access to that, and AMD just randomly decided it was OK to hide important features. The ReLive redesign doesn't provide tab access to OFFLINE recording modes, which doesn't matter since I can't get the damn thing to work borderless anyway, since it always fails to detect a game running. Won't even work with record desktop on. Pretty much makes OBS the only real recording option.

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

The only improvement for us is the DPM0 state on 20.1.4 is 40mhz, the older versions were 25mhz, its simply too low for GUI navigation, it lags.

Still major issues, cannot use the unit without the VII blacking out from this utter garbage powerplay.

Do they not understand that HBM cannot have powerplay otherwise its unstable.

I'm trying my best here to get the feature re-implemented.

They fixed it with the FuryX, just have to prey they do the same with the VII.

0 Likes

john007, try plugging in a second monitor, manual overclocking, or running 144hz, because AMD power saving completely fails when you do that. AMD claims this is a "requirement" to handle dual monitors or high refresh rate, but I know this is a LIE, since it worked fine under CCC (really old .NET control panel), PLUS it works fine when manually underclocking, so the "requirement" is merely an excuse for multi-monitor bugging out powersaving. Manual Overclocking can also bug out powersaving under certain circumstances. You could also try using clock blocker, which is not a videocard specific tool. I think there also was some glitch where you could run a video player in the background to reduce low power modes.

Worst case, sell the VII, buy Nvidia. The VII probably isn't on any priority list for fixes due to it's low production volume.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

john007 wrote:

The only improvement for us is the DPM0 state on 20.1.4 is 40mhz, the older versions were 25mhz, its simply too low for GUI navigation, it lags.

Still major issues, cannot use the unit without the VII blacking out from this utter garbage powerplay.

Do they not understand that HBM cannot have powerplay otherwise its unstable.

I'm trying my best here to get the feature re-implemented.

They fixed it with the FuryX, just have to prey they do the same with the VII.

according to MSI Afterburner my RX 480 at idle is 300 MHz as is my GDDR5. 

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

turn off instant replay, it is well known to be broken

0 Likes
john007
Exemplar

Just had a screenshot sent from AMD with the VII DPM0 state at 25mhz so its not an issue on my side.

Older GPU's have a much higher P0 state, like you said 300mhz, the FuryX was 400mhz.

0 Likes