After unpacking the download, the app opens and after selecting Custom Install, the usual screen appears where it is 'Searching for drivers' or something like that. This usually takes a few seconds. With the current 19.7.1 download it hangs at this point permanently. In Task Manager the process appears to be running normally, but it never finds the driver you have just downloaded and unpacked.
I decided to roll back to the previous driver and re-downloaded it from the website. During the install process, this time it recognized that I had an option to install 19.7.1, so I selected that and the download hung at 99% and nothing further happened.
I have now gone back to 19.6.3 and am staying there until I hear online that 19.7.1 can be installed as expected.
Solved! Go to Solution.
RX 590 8GB
Alienware Aurora R4
Windows 10 Pro
driver 19.6.3 (I had to roll back to this)
32" AOC monitor 1440p with AMD Freesync connected by DP, + 2 other generic 1080p monitors connected by HDMI
Alienware motherboard, BIOS Version 11
Intel Core I7-4820K
800W power unit
16 GB 1866Mhz RAM
1. Downloaded new driver manually from AMD website
2. Uninstalled current driver through Control Panel
4. Attempted to install the new driver but after unpacking, the app hung while 'searching for drivers' (but did not show as 'not responding' in Task Manager;
5. After 10 minutes or so, I ended the task in Task Manager
6. I deleted the new driver files under C:/AMD/
7. downloaded older driver 19.6.3 and installed as usual without problems