Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

okano14
Adept II

10 days without a working driver for 5600XT

Hi there, 

After windows update,10 days ago, my newly built machine fail to install a proper AMD display driver

The situation did not improve after a fresh install of Windows 10 Home

Symptom:

in normal windows: installation of any of the below drivers goes black screen during the process (with adjusted resolution and hardware disconnect sound effect)

in next boot: windows stuck in the white dot spinning process, the top 1/6 of the screen go black as there is some invisible error message / crash dump message. Then need to hard reset

boot into safe mode, and the run DDU, computer run normally using generic Microsoft driver

I envy those who has got a black screen during a game, as i can't even install the bloody driver

Tried and failed drivers:

SPEC:

AMD 3600

Windows 10 Home - ver 1909 (18363.720) and completed all windows update (as of 4/4/2020)

Sapphire RX5600XT display (finsihed dual bios update)

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite  (finsihed bios update)

Dell U2515H monitor using standard HDMI cable connection

Adata XPG D10 (16G x2)
HP EX950 1TB SSD
Cooler Master 550W power supply

Tags (2)
29 Replies
misteright
Adept II

Re: 10 days without a working driver for 5600XT

There's no good driver for RX 5600 XT at the moment. But my issues are different than yours though.

- Freesync is broken for all fixed 60fps games. For example MK11, DOA 6, NSUNS 4.
- Perfrormance is broken for all fixed 60fps games. For example MK11, DOA 6, NSUNS 4.
- Random downclocking on random games on random ocassion.

That's all. Hope the next driver will solve these.

0 Likes
itayabo
Adept I

same problem!

work good a month and thats it! dead

no answer from AMD

elstaci
MVP

What AMD Installation Errors are you getting?

Uses this basic method to remove the current AMD driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

0 Likes
okano14
Adept II

hi there,

thanks for the advices, in my case, the installation directly lead to black screen reboot, and no error message is displayed.

for installation, after DDU, once i tried to uncompress the full 20.4.1 driver on desktop, and then update the driver using "device manager", but still it show the same error, so i think the case is not related to corrupted installation file @ C:\AMD

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your new system is good. But this system should not be used with a 550 watt PSU. One of 750 watts (Gold) and better PSUs will be good for you. PSUs with low watt are generally not of sufficient quality. And as the heavy load on poor-quality PSUs increases, they lose the required voltage stabilization. For this reason, I think that you will not have a problem with a good quality PSU that is 12V watt is close to capacity.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

If you already do all of things but black screen still appear, you can try this method. It's working for me

Final solution to fix black screen and freeze without  down AMD software to 19.xx. (using MSI afterb... 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Do you know what numerical values mean? Test FurMark 800x600 without AA with the settings in this link. Finish the life of the graphics card in half an hour.

Annotation 2020-04-16 144355.png
I wrote before the problem of your system to you that PSU. When the PSU capacity or the quality is low, it cannot adjust the voltage properly. Either it crashes when the PSU high loads. Or, the GPU crashes as it goes up to higher frequencies. The advice you give may damage the graphics card or the 550w PSU.

0 Likes
okano14
Adept II

thanks mate, in this assumption, i think it may be valid if the black screen occur during game play, but the current issue arise during driver install...

Will definitely look into this aspect.... after AMD has corrected the installation / windows update issue 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

If you have problems installing drivers, if you think this issue is not related to PSU, there are different driver installation methods.

* With "devcon.exe" commands. Original Win installation does not contain this.

* With "dpinst.exe" commands. Original Win installation does not contain this.

* With "pnputil.exe" commands.

If you test these commands with a search engine, you can install the driver without problems. Extract the latest Radeon driver exe file to a folder with a program like 7-zip. And try driver installation using the folder and the commands. But first use DDU.

If the driver does not work immediately after installation (with the commands), you will not have a problem with driver installation.

0 Likes