Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

okano14
Adept II

10 days without a working driver for 5600XT

Hi there, 

After windows update,10 days ago, my newly built machine fail to install a proper AMD display driver

The situation did not improve after a fresh install of Windows 10 Home

Symptom:

in normal windows: installation of any of the below drivers goes black screen during the process (with adjusted resolution and hardware disconnect sound effect)

in next boot: windows stuck in the white dot spinning process, the top 1/6 of the screen go black as there is some invisible error message / crash dump message. Then need to hard reset

boot into safe mode, and the run DDU, computer run normally using generic Microsoft driver

I envy those who has got a black screen during a game, as i can't even install the bloody driver

Tried and failed drivers:

SPEC:

AMD 3600

Windows 10 Home - ver 1909 (18363.720) and completed all windows update (as of 4/4/2020)

Sapphire RX5600XT display (finsihed dual bios update)

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite  (finsihed bios update)

Dell U2515H monitor using standard HDMI cable connection

Adata XPG D10 (16G x2)
HP EX950 1TB SSD
Cooler Master 550W power supply

29 Replies
misteright
Adept II

There's no good driver for RX 5600 XT at the moment. But my issues are different than yours though.

- Freesync is broken for all fixed 60fps games. For example MK11, DOA 6, NSUNS 4.
- Perfrormance is broken for all fixed 60fps games. For example MK11, DOA 6, NSUNS 4.
- Random downclocking on random games on random ocassion.

That's all. Hope the next driver will solve these.

0 Likes
itayabo
Adept I

same problem!

work good a month and thats it! dead

no answer from AMD

What AMD Installation Errors are you getting?

Uses this basic method to remove the current AMD driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run it in Windows Desktop but then you would need to Reboot the computer for DDU to finish erasing all of  the AMD Driver traces from your computer.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

0 Likes

hi there,

thanks for the advices, in my case, the installation directly lead to black screen reboot, and no error message is displayed.

for installation, after DDU, once i tried to uncompress the full 20.4.1 driver on desktop, and then update the driver using "device manager", but still it show the same error, so i think the case is not related to corrupted installation file @ C:\AMD

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your new system is good. But this system should not be used with a 550 watt PSU. One of 750 watts (Gold) and better PSUs will be good for you. PSUs with low watt are generally not of sufficient quality. And as the heavy load on poor-quality PSUs increases, they lose the required voltage stabilization. For this reason, I think that you will not have a problem with a good quality PSU that is 12V watt is close to capacity.

0 Likes

Tell this to 450w-platinum or gold psus man... cpu is 100w, mobo in case of hungry x570 is 70w, graphic card is like 180w, some drives, fans and you are still with 100w reserved. Also the watts noted are with 100% usage. Not the real life case in 99%. Also during installation, power demands are low, pc is practically sleeping, so is the psu.

Wattage means nothing really. Offer me 800w generic crap and 500w high end and will be ok with the 500w (vega56 is earing 250w) and running on ryzen ok with 500w psu...

I know amps delivered on 12v are important...

0 Likes

wakizashi wrote:

Tell this to 450w-platinum or gold psus man... cpu is 100w, mobo in case of hungry x570 is 70w, graphic card is like 180w, some drives, fans and you are still with 100w reserved. Also the watts noted are with 100% usage. Not the real life case in 99%. Also during installation, power demands are low, pc is practically sleeping, so is the psu.

Wattage means nothing really. Offer me 800w generic crap and 500w high end and will be ok with the 500w (vega56 is earing 250w) and running on ryzen ok with 500w psu...

I know amps delivered on 12v are important...

I use the Corsair HX1000i which is platinum efficient, unfortunately there are nothing under 750W that is platinum that I am aware of. A PSU is most efficient at 40% load.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

If you already do all of things but black screen still appear, you can try this method. It's working for me

Final solution to fix black screen and freeze without  down AMD software to 19.xx. (using MSI afterb... 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Do you know what numerical values mean? Test FurMark 800x600 without AA with the settings in this link. Finish the life of the graphics card in half an hour.

Annotation 2020-04-16 144355.png
I wrote before the problem of your system to you that PSU. When the PSU capacity or the quality is low, it cannot adjust the voltage properly. Either it crashes when the PSU high loads. Or, the GPU crashes as it goes up to higher frequencies. The advice you give may damage the graphics card or the 550w PSU.

0 Likes

thanks mate, in this assumption, i think it may be valid if the black screen occur during game play, but the current issue arise during driver install...

Will definitely look into this aspect.... after AMD has corrected the installation / windows update issue 

0 Likes

If you have problems installing drivers, if you think this issue is not related to PSU, there are different driver installation methods.

* With "devcon.exe" commands. Original Win installation does not contain this.

* With "dpinst.exe" commands. Original Win installation does not contain this.

* With "pnputil.exe" commands.

If you test these commands with a search engine, you can install the driver without problems. Extract the latest Radeon driver exe file to a folder with a program like 7-zip. And try driver installation using the folder and the commands. But first use DDU.

If the driver does not work immediately after installation (with the commands), you will not have a problem with driver installation.

0 Likes

Edit:

pnputil /add-driver "<<RADEON-INF-PATH>>\<<RADEON-INF-FILE>>.inf"

Annotation 2020-04-16 202431.png

For example: With pnputil command without /install option can be used. With this example command, Radeon driver is installed on the system without starting. It can be tried, I think. The other commands have similar installing features.

Note: Command Prompt must be start as an administrator for the all commands.

0 Likes

thanks for the in depth intro, but i am viewing the issue in a different angle

1. if the command line installation does not work for me, i am not sure if DDU will work in this case, and i am taking the risk thatmy computer cannot start at all

2. if AMD cannot do its installer right, how good can the driver be? 

0 Likes

If the driver file you downloaded has data loss, you cannot install that driver on Windows. Because Windows drivers must have unique signatures. A driver with bad data will not have a unique signature.

0 Likes

hi there, i have tried all 4 drivers

20.1.3, 20.2.2, 20.4.1, and the auto smart installer

all with the same symptom, i don't think i am that lucky to download all 4 files with data loss. Not mentioning that there are people who got the same issue in this forum and in reddit. 

While as all AMD drivers are compressed, if there is data loss, the check sum would not be correct and there must be error message during the extraction process. 

I have uploaded the symptom in the following link, it don't look like error due to data loss to me >_<

https://community.amd.com/message/2967617?commentID=2967617#comment-2967617 

0 Likes

Your system will not work properly with 550w. It works with 650w but it may give error. It works properly with 750w. Buy a PSU with 750W with minimum Gold certification and that 12v capacity close to 750. Or you can buy a better PSU. If you read the forum pages a little, the vast majority of those who are having problems use either old or 650w variant PSU. And their systems crash. Your system will used for a long time. You put your system at risk using 550w. Weak PSUs can either damage itself or cause the system to overheat.

0 Likes

mstfbsrn980 wrote:

Your system will not work properly with 550w. It works with 650w but it may give error. It works properly with 750w. Buy a PSU with 750W with minimum Gold certification and that 12v capacity close to 750. Or you can buy a better PSU. If you read the forum pages a little, the vast majority of those who are having problems use either old or 650w variant PSU. And their systems crash. Your system will used for a long time. You put your system at risk using 550w. Weak PSUs can either damage itself or cause the system to overheat.

I don't like anything under about 850W of capacity

0 Likes

0 Likes

A PSU calculator says that over 400 watts the system will consume power with full load.
Annotation 2020-04-22 135804.jpg
People who follow what this website writes may have problems. Because only after I bought a good PSU with a difference of 100w, I experienced how the system gets less warm and gets stable.
Annotation 2020-04-22 140420.jpg

TechPowerUp shared this information for Sapphire RX5600XT. Recommends 350w. A friend was using 150w TDP RX 480 with a 650w PSU. And when he increased the GPU power limit, the system crashed. Even 650w PSU was very limited for the 150w GPU. If you have a lot of money and love the risks, you can see if it works by trying a low capacity PSU first. But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. The vast majority of those who already share their problems either use an old PSU or use a low capacity PSU. I spent hours and money to keep the 9000 series Bulldozer and HD 7800 series GPU stable. 

0 Likes

Thanks for the insight, but i doubt if it is related to PSU due to the following 2 reasons

1. the black screening does not appear AFTER windows update, i was able to play games before the windows update smoothly

2. the black screening now stop me from installing the driver. PSU issues would make more sense if the black screening happens during a game

UPDATES: 20.4.2 is out now, and sadly the system go black screen again DURING driver install...arrrghhhhh

0 Likes

The website shared power consumptions about R7 5700 GPUs. What is R7 5700? Is there such a GPU? I do not know this. Also, the website does not contain information about 5600 XT.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt 

Annotation 2020-04-24 181222.jpg

I have already mentioned what I think but it may be useful to look at the documents. Even if the PSU is not enough, you should be installing the driver without problems. Trying the GPU with another system will allow you to have more ideas. You have to try different things. Not with one thing, or with me or with someone else's saying. I'm done for this topic.

0 Likes

nonono... i am grateful to your input, but it just upsets me after failing to install the latest 20.4.2

i also wish to have extra h/w to swap and test around, but i do not have the luxury at the moment. 

use 

AMD Cleanup Utility

clean all the drivers and install again 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

0 Likes

whats the difference of this s/w vs. DDU?

0 Likes
jack3
Adept I

This is the driver that I was using for a long time without any issues with black screens. 

Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.9.2-Sep23

After upgrading to the latest I get crashing in BF5 and black screen flickering when watching videos in the browser. 

Issue I had with the old drivers was that it was not moderating the fan speed correctly and was making too much noisy. After upgrading the fan noise went down a bit. Still too loud though.

0 Likes
mickeekung
Challenger

Please try this method.

Access violation errors (Exception code: 0xc0000005) can happen because of different reasons. Corrupted files being one of them. I was getting this error daily. After doing a fresh install of the drivers (DDU and factory reset), I'm currently testing whether or not giving RadeonSoftware.exe admin access will resolve it if it is indeed running into access issues.

I'm on day 3 with no black screen yet. At this point I'd do anything to resolve it. I also gave full access in the security tab and disabled windows "full screen optimizations". I have no idea whether this will work or not but it can't hurt. I'll do what I can until AMD finally fixes this issue.

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

0 Likes
nelegal7
Adept I

I have the same problem during installation.
Even if it turns out to install. That freezes on loading the operating system. And turns off after 2 minutes. I personally found the problem at home. This is not a power supply and what is offered above. Namely with a monitor. I advise you to find the oldest monitor that works only on VGA and connect via an HDMI-VGA converter. I tried a lot of things myself. But I realized that you need to either get rid of the video card, or from the monitor. Try a different monitor.

P.S In general, I have been sitting for 3 months since the purchase of the video card. You can install drivers until blue. I personally got tired of installing different editions of Windows. As well as AMD drivers. But I personally found the problem associated with the monitor.

I hope to go out into the city tomorrow and take a monitor. To show you how I have. And maybe I’ll close your question along the way.

У меня такая же проблема при установке.
Даже если получается установить. То зависает на загрузке операционной системы. И выключается через 2 минуты. Я лично нашел проблему у себя. Это не блок питания и что там выше предлагают. А именно с монитором. Я вам советую найти самый старый монитор который работает только на VGA и через конвертер HDMI-VGA подключить. Я сам много чего перепробовал. Но понял что нужно либо избавляться от видеокарты,либо от монитора. Попробуйте другой монитор.

0 Likes
thatsmyname
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem mate! I've been trying to fix it since 2 weeks. Have you found a way to fix it?

0 Likes
itayabo
Adept I

i rma the card , now works good thanks god

0 Likes