cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Resources

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

The New Red Team Overclockers Group is Coming Soon!

Red Team Overclockers GroupRed Team Overclockers Group

We are excited! We are getting ready to launch the new Red Team Overclockers Group!

There are few updates/tweaks we still need to do to the platform, but we are on track to launch it by the end of this month. We are also going to send an email to let everyone know the Group is coming!

So, get ready to start a new discussion describing your experience(s) in overclocking your CPU and/or GPU; most importantly, share any tips, ideas, tricks, images, videos, and/or post “how-to” discussions! We are sure everyone will enjoy them.

A special “Thank You” to those of you who took the survey last month. (We asked, You answered, and now, We are doing it!)

Spread the word @BigAl01 @blazek @elstaci @filinux @johnnyenglish @Key-J @Nagrenol @red5 @tenzo23 @ThunderBeaver @jamesc359 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
18 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would be interested to learn more about memory settings in DDR4 and where to start making changes that will relate to increased performance.  Eventually we'll see DDR5 usage with the new 7000 series of AMD CPUs coming this fall and I've been hearing that there isn't much performance increase from DDR4 to DDR5 in the Intel systems.  Am I right? 

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

That is a really good question @BigAl01 because those of us who are low on finance would need to know how much performance boost we're going to get inorder to determine if spending that extra dollar is really worth it.

GON

Having an AMD Overclocker's Forum is a excellent idea since so many Users here at AMD Forums open threads concerning overclocking issues on both their GPUs and CPUs and RAM Memory as per the previous reply.

This will be a good way for all those Users that want to or are overclocking to give their input and suggestions to fix or prevent over/under clocking issues.

Key-J
Paragon

Thanks for sharing @Sam_AMD !

This is definitely exciting, as someone who has been bit by the GPU shortage (I know it is getting better) I would love to learn how/if I can pull more out of my slightly older Ryzen 2700x and RX480. Especially trying to keep up with the growing demand of new games.

I know (at least from research) that my system can handle Overclocking, but I've always been afraid to go at it alone. I would love to have someone guide me through it! 

cant-wait-excited

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

RGB > OverClocking YOU NERDS 😎😎😎😎

@Nagrenol wrote:

RGB > OverClocking YOU NERDS 😎😎😎😎

A live picture of Nagrenol gaming 😛

RGB.PNG

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

my god... that's nightmare fuel 😷😷😷😷😷

ajlueke
Grandmaster

It is an interesting discussion to have for sure.  I feel that overclocking, at least in the traditional sense on CPUs is dead and gone.  AMD CPUs, since Matisse at least, tend to be voltage bound in lightly threaded applications and simply won't boost any higher.  You can slap on a better cooler, engage PBO, raise your PPT/TDC/EDC and it won't matter, the chips boosts about the same due to voltage constraints on the boosting algorithm.  You can gain some performance using the curve optimizer, which is likely where most of the extra performance can be found.

It is possible to get some gains out of the 12 and 16 core processors, and they do tend to be limited by PPT and TDC.  Raising those, a supply a better cooler allows them to boost higher when all cores are in operation.  So there are some gains to be had there.

With the 7000 series it will be interesting to see if any overclocking can actually exceed the performance gains of the 7000 3D series.  It wasn't possible to overclock a 5800X and make it work better than a 5800X3D.  The 3D versions can't be overclocked at all to thermally protect the stacked cache.  If that is still the case, it may be better just to buy a 7000X3D and not overclock vs buying the traditional version. 

blazek
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the heads up, haven't overclocked in awhile, I have some learning to do 🙂

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback! Can't wait to launch the group! 

@ajlueke your comment, specifically the information you've provided is exactly what we're hoping to see in the new group. Personally, I've never OC'ed anything, but I'm interested in learning from you, everyone! 😁 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Just finishing up my newest build, and working on OC'ing / tweaking it.  (Since overclocking isn't so much a thing any more with Ryzen, and it's more about tweaking the mobo settings to get the most out of PBO.)

This system has a lapped 5800X with an Asus 240 AIO cooler, and the Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited Edition - hybrid cooling

Sapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited EditionSapphire 6900XT Toxic Limited Edition

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN

I didn't know that about the 3D versions, so thank you for that information.

0 Likes
Rx_Geezy54
Adept I

Very exciting! The hwbot Amd Red Team doesn't see much action, so it'll be cool to have an active group to OC and compare notes with! 

ripcord
Adept III

HA! YES! Looking forward to this, BRAVO AMD!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Radeon RX 7800 XT, MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE Wi-Fi, 64 GB DDR4.
BCB57
Journeyman III

As a longtime AM4 user and new owner of a 5800X3D, I'm looking forward to participating in this upcoming group.  As others have noted, recent Ryzen CPUs have not benefited enormously from typical overclocking techniques, but in my experience Curve Optimization (CO) and PBO2 have yielded noticeable gains for the 5000-series without any down-side. 

I'm currently using a freeware app to achieve negative per-core CO values ranging from -30 (five of the eight cores) to -20 on the best two, and this CPU is 100% stable running mid 70s under max load (CB23 multicore) vs low 80s stock.  Sustained max VCORE under that load is about 1.17 volts; down from about 1.26.  Boosting behavior is unaffected, and CB23 multicore scores rose by 200 points.

Sorry for the long post before this group's even officially active, but I look forward to hearing other users' experiences with this chip.  Ideally, AMD may be persuaded to offer CO (negative only) and/or undervolting options in forthcoming BIOS versions for this CPU.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello everyone, 

We just launched the new Red Team Overclockers group! Check it out

NewOverclockersGroup.jpg

I started a couple of discussions; mainly links to blogs my colleagues in the  software team published late last year. I hope you find them helpful. 

That said, feel free to jump in, start a new discussion, offer your tips/guidance/ideas for how to overclock your CPU and/or GPU! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Nice! I'm about go check it out. Need to do some overclocking on this 3700x instead of the one click button in the MSI BIOS, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes
finowings
Journeyman III

That's fantastic news! Congratulations on the upcoming launch of the Red Team Overclockers Group! It sounds like an exciting platform for CPU and GPU enthusiasts to come together and share their experiences in overclocking. 

If any One is looking for Education Loan EMI Calculator click here

0 Likes