cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

voidcore
Adept III

RPR 2.0.112 box mapping doesnt work (only flat seems to work)

Goal: use world position to texture map larger structures that does not have UVW created manually

Currently:

1. Object coordinates out from the "Texture Coordinate" node seems to be world coord instead of object coords. Compared to Cycles and EEVEE at least

2. Textures sampling only seem to use flat sampling 

3. vector converter node to map from (e.g) object coords to world coords is missing.

Edits:

This is still missing as of the latest release. Additionally the "RPR Procedural" node doesnt solve this need. Please see massive post with screens below.

0 Likes
10 Replies
voidcore
Adept III

Just want to note that this feature is still missing as of beta 2.85.

It is also closely related to other requests and bug reports like: triplanar doesn't repeat as expected and lacks control

andhttps://community.amd.com/thread/232667 

0 Likes

Thanks for continuing to poke us for this feature

In all seriousness though.  I find the mapping feature built on to the texture node to be limiting.  In Blender 2.79 we had independent procedural texture mapping nodes (box/sphere/triplanar, etc).  This allowed tweaking the mapping easier.  

What would be your preference?

0 Likes

I do my best   It is a feature I find very useful (almost indispensable) for when you create concept art or background art etc and want a material to be textured onto a a group of objects with the same scalings etc for a "carved out of the material" look. Currently in Blender I have got used to the way EEVEE and Cycles handles this even if it might be sometwhat odd to have projection/sampling integrated into the image node. Preferably the Blender Image node would be supported so it would be easy to switch from EEVEE to RPR during design and lookdev without having to use two different materials.  If there would exist a separate RPR projection node or so it would be a nice bonus feature I guess: so both please

0 Likes

In the lastest build there is a "RPR Projection Node" that has a trilinear setting. This doesn't work or at least not the way I am exepecting this kind of feature to work.

Here is an example: (Box mapping using world position in eevee)

A: world position

B: using texture for the mapping

C: higher value = larger texture = smaller internal UVW

😧 Box mapping and using the blend to get better results on curved surfaces

Box_mapping_1.png

Box_mapping_2.png

Sometimes it is very useful to be able to use the transformed objects. 

E:Here I uses a vector transform from world to object space making sure to transform as points to have translation come along for the ride

F: the effect is that the scaled plane and rotated cube use their non-identity transforms and hence have different mapping

Box_mapping_3.png

G: Using the scaling parameter set to "Texture" a high value results in a larger texture. this wors in the other way in RPR 

Finally trying to achieve this in RPR:

Box_mapping_fails_rpr.png

It fails.

And when trying using RPR Projection to get something similar:

RPR_projection_fails.png

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I'll let the developers know.

0 Likes

Just wanted to inform that these features are still missing as fo 2.0.112

0 Likes

Still not working as of november 2019. Any news on this? 

0 Likes

We have some fixes in the core RPR renderer for this... it will take a few weeks at least to get into the plugin.  

In general if I don't give an update just check the release notes!  If it's fixed it will certainly be mentioned.

0 Likes

Thanks for letting us know what is coming! 

0 Likes
platon24
Journeyman III

8 months to fix a bug. Blender 2.81 release still have this problem. What a buggy mess this is.

0 Likes