cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

voidcore
Adept III

triplanar doesn't repeat as expected and lacks control

I want to use triplanar mapping to quickly get texture mapped on to a larger structure (a building). If I use the built in node the texture doesn't repeat as wanted/expected. In the first attached screenshot you can clearly see how the texture is object local instead of world local in addition to some unexpected clamping on the background plane.

The second screenshot uses world position as mapping (the RPR lookup node)and this is the behaviour I would expect/want except that it doesnt work for the 3 different planes.

I have alread made a node setup that uses the normal for choosing projection direction so I know it can be done but it would be much nicer to have this built in and easily attaced to any material.

In addition, it would also be useful to scale, rotate and offset texture maps in general.

0 Likes
2 Replies
voidcore
Adept III

The screenshots didn't attach. Trying again:

0 Likes

I find that the implementation in Houdini works well: Triplanar Project VOP on Vimeo This is very usefull to texture non-hero assets, like for example stuff in the background, simple buildings etc.

0 Likes