cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blender Discussions

mirkosantangelo
Journeyman III

[Mac/eGPU] ProRender Crash Blender and Render Issue with multiple GPUs

Hi all! I'm using ProRender 2.3.4 on Blender 2.82.
My setup is a Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 560X and AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (connected via a Razer eGPU enclosing box).

When these two GPUs are enabled via the Render Settings at the same time (See following configuration) Blender crashes almost on every operation (Moving a light, opening a new panel, etc). The crash happens on both following configurations.

See attached video (prorender-bug) on this message for a sample.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 1.14.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 1.16.34 PM.png

The only workaround to prevent this crash on Mac OS is to disable the eGPU on the viewport (which is counter-productive).

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 1.28.44 PM.png

This is of course not the ideal solution. Plus, looks like that if I enable the eGPU only, the rendering on the viewport stop working. See attached video below (viewport-render-bug-egpu). (As a side note, on Cinema4D R21 I'm able to enable the eGPU-only in ProRender with no problems, both in render and viewport).

Any help will be very appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance!

M.

0 Likes
10 Replies
bsavery
Staff

Hi there.  With the eGPU you to use it with viewport rendering (not final) you have to go into the plugin in a file called "Config.py".  There is a setting there called use_gl_interop = True  set that to False.

Unfortunately there is no way we can automatically detect this.  

Hi bsavery‌! 

Thank you so much! That worked like a charm! I'd definitively recommend to add a note about this on the documentation for future eGPU users. 

Many thanks again!

M.

0 Likes

When you say "go into the plugin" is that before it is installed or is it on a folder on the harddisk? I can't seem to find it?

0 Likes

Where exactly is this on a Mac. I am having a hard time trying to find the right config.py to change. Blender on a Mac really does a great job of hiding plugins etc. Do you need to access it from inside Blender. 

Anyway I have exactly this issue with my external GPU. I can render and its nice and fast but Viewport is grey

cheers in advance

Richard

0 Likes

Sorry.  Should have been more clear here.  In macOS your plugin is installed to ~/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.82/scripts/addons/rprblender

Also I should mention the next version will have a checkbox in the UI to do this.

Yup this would be very useful. 

0 Likes

I did some digging and found it by going into the add ons in Blender. Thanks for clarifying though

0 Likes

This worked for me! I had the same problem, works great now. Thanks!!!!!

0 Likes
admin
Adept II

I am experiencing the same problem. I have a 5700 XT+ and also a MacbookPro with an internal Radeon Pro560. If I check both GPUs, Blender crashes immediately. Also, when I am using my eGPU only (the 5700XT) all materials turn grey.

0 Likes