cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max Discussions

PuChiNg
Journeyman III

Radeon ProRender 2.7.2 R9 280x compatibility

Hi there, i was wandering if R9 series, 280x specifically, is compatible with Radeon ProRender 2.7 for 3ds Max 2020, in Windows 10 x64. As far as i can see in this link is specified the r9 280x in the system requirements section, but in this one is not listed as compatible hardware, this is a mistake from AMD since it's impossible to both of them be true, correct the wrong one.

0 Likes
1 Solution

a few months ago, last year in fact, The developers of ProRender made only the RX (400 series and newer) GPUs and newer GPUs compatible with ProRender.

Your GPU isn't compatible anymore even though it may still work. Depending on the Non-RX GPU and Prorender version being used.

Reason why I know because another User was having ProRender Plugin issues with his R9 GPU last year and I suggested he open a thread at ProRender Forum. One of the Developers of ProRender advised him that all Non-RX GPUs are now incompatible even though some may work still.

The Manager of ProRender then updated the Compatibility List for ProRender excluding all Non-RX GPUs from the list.

I opened a thread letting other Users know about this change in ProRender compatibility list.

EDIT: The second link (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorender-3dsmax-v2-7) was the list that the developer of ProRender changed and updated and eliminated the R9 Series GPU which was listed before.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

a few months ago, last year in fact, The developers of ProRender made only the RX (400 series and newer) GPUs and newer GPUs compatible with ProRender.

Your GPU isn't compatible anymore even though it may still work. Depending on the Non-RX GPU and Prorender version being used.

Reason why I know because another User was having ProRender Plugin issues with his R9 GPU last year and I suggested he open a thread at ProRender Forum. One of the Developers of ProRender advised him that all Non-RX GPUs are now incompatible even though some may work still.

The Manager of ProRender then updated the Compatibility List for ProRender excluding all Non-RX GPUs from the list.

I opened a thread letting other Users know about this change in ProRender compatibility list.

EDIT: The second link (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorender-3dsmax-v2-7) was the list that the developer of ProRender changed and updated and eliminated the R9 Series GPU which was listed before.

david_s
Miniboss

Hi,

Yes this is correct R9 280x is not officially supported. but even if it says uncertified in the Render settings hardware selection. this does not mean it will not work at all.
you may expereince some issues though.