cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts

MD unveiled its new Radeon RX 5700 line of graphics cards with 7nm chips at E3 last month, and with just days to go before they launch on July 7th, the company has announced new pricing. In the "spirit" of competition that it says is "heating up" in the graphics market -- specifically NVIDIA's "Super" new RTX cards -- all three versions of the graphics card will be cheaper than we thought.

The standard Radeon RX 5700 with 36 compute units and speeds of up to 1.7GHz was originally announced at $379, but will instead hit shelves at $349 -- the same price as NVIDIA's RTX 2060. The 5700 XT card that brings 40 compute units and up to 1.9GHz speed will be $50 cheaper than expected, launching at $399. The same goes for the 50th Anniversary with a slightly higher boost speed and stylish gold trim that will cost $449 instead of $499.

That's enough to keep them both cheaper than the $499 RTX 2070 Super -- we'll have to wait for the performance reviews to find out if it's enough to make sure they're still relevant.

AMD fires back at 'Super' NVIDIA with Radeon RX 5700 price cuts 

1,953 Replies

The release notes seem to be incorrect. Many people are reporting the same problem. 
I installed the Adrenalin 2020 driver with DDU in safe mode. 
I am not the only one reporting it is blacking out. 
You can see my testing results of all the new features and GUI interface here: 
https://community.amd.com/thread/246238 
Thanks. 

0 Likes

I have to install drivers via the INF file. simply unpack them and manually update the drivers

so the new interface freezes as bad as the old one

0 Likes

And to go off on another tangent, the 5500XT launched today, and Anandtech and Techspot are the first up with a review. It's incredibly sad. INCREDIBLY. Performance falling between an RX 580 and RX 590 for a higher price than the RX 580 launched at, a price so high it's competing with the GTX 1660, a card that's both faster and more feature rich, as Techspot pointed out.

At least review sites aren't fawning over it the way they did with the 5700/XT, so maybe AMD will actually slash prices quickly...Then again all they have to say is "FREE GAMES!!!!! $90 VALUE!!!!! YOU'RE GETTING THE CARD FOR $120!!!!" garbage and justify it to themselves...

AMD 5500XT Reviews Go Live: Slower, more expensive than GTX 1660 (non Super)

even with a hatchet job on price, i usually do not plink down pesos until a substantially better card is available

i have 24GB of memory which has not been a problem

my rx 480 has 8GB so it can handle 64-bit games handily

my cpu is 4/8 which is more than enough for gaming, most of the heavy lifting is done by the Radeon card

my rx 480 is actually overclocked by sapphire so it's still fairly respectable

Yes I saw those 5500XT reviews. I couldn't believe it.  

As for the AMD Rewards Games - only one of two titles this time. I think it is a benefit if you absolutely want the available games and those games have just launched. However if you wait then the game prices drop drastically. 
Xbox Game Pass for 3 months is so cheap it is worth maybe 15. It is  and not that great anyhow with many limitations.
I have seen the advertised value of the reward bundle at ~ 2x it's actual cost (ignoring game sale prices) from some retailers.
I notified them about it, they still continue with the adverts. 

Nvidia have been doing some great game givaways in comparison recently. 
I purchased another new Palit RTX2080 OC earlier this year and got Control and Wolfenstein Young Blood free.
Obtaining the codes and games was completely hassle free

0 Likes

nVidia gives something much better than games on most of their cards: cash rebates. Take the GTX 1660 for example, which, thanks to mail in rebates, is now the same price as the RX 5500XT, making the RX 5500XT irrelevant. Free games are worthless, especially if they're tied to online stores you don't use or are buggy as heck for a year until they're fully fixed, cash in hand is worth the cash, especially if the segment you're competing in is very performance-per-dollar oriented, which in this world of heavily inflated GPU prices is all of them except the ultra high end.

0 Likes

Another:
Top 5 Best GPUs of 2019, RX 5500 Update - YouTube

From Hardware unboxed.

Their recommendation seems to be: 

For budget - 100-200 : Pick up a RX570 4GB/ RX5808GB or RX590 8GB on sale. Hoping RX5500XT cost can drop next year when 7nm cost drops.
For low end. 200-300. Maybe AIB Vega 56 8GB depending on cost. They prefer GTX1660 Super. Much lower power. Look for discounted RX5700 at 300.
For Mid Range: 300-600 They claim locked down by AMD with RX5700/XT 8GB versus RTX2060/2070 Supers.
For High end. 600-1000 RTX2080 Super. 15% faster than RX5700XT. Reluctantly as AMD have no alternative.
For Enthusiast Extreme end 4K gaming.  >= 1000 RTX2080Ti. Only choice for gamers seeking max performance.

They base the above on cost per frame and benchmarking.
No mention of driver reliability comparison in that calculation.
I don't think they tried benchmarking on Adrenalin 2020 19.12.2.

I wouldn't expect AMD to drop the prices of their cards until nVidia launches Ampere, and even then only because they're the better part of a year away from replacements, since they can say that their entry level discrete card (5500XT) beats nVidia's entry level discrete card (GTX 1650), and they can claim for performance tiers below that there's their APUs.

AMD priced themselves out of contention, maybe they're doing it to disguise the lack of Navi GPUs, maybe they're doing it to keep consumer demand low so they can put more into higher margin FirePro cards, or maybe whoever is in charge of pricing is dumber than a sack of hammers.

0 Likes

Ampere may be delayed as Samsung has also had problems with yield on the new node. Samsung and Intel have both struggled to find adequate solutions for mass production.

Navi 2 may ship before Ampere surfaces.

0 Likes

The RX5700XT is the Polaris replacement based as shown by AMD slide here: AMD E3 2019 Tech Day: All Slide Decks (Ryzen 3000 "Zen 2", Radeon RX 5000 "Navi", etc) | TechPowerUp 
Read what it says on the fan.
RX 690 ...
The name was changed late in the day, likely because if the card was called RX 690 no one would purchase the RX590/580 unless prices were cut.  
You should expect an RX690/RX5700XT to perform better than an RX590/580 on something, three years after RX480 launch - in this case gaming FPS and power consumption.

RX690 / RX5700XT / Navi or whatever you want to call it does not replace RX Vega 64 Liquid on Compute performance and is similar performance in gaming.
There is also the Radeon VII of course which is a compute card, and has one of the shortest lifetimes of any GPU I can remember.

Speaking of the VII, it seems AMD has cut the price on it. Still too expensive for what it is.

If I thought the Radeon VII would get software support I would be interested in one for compute at 500, but I just do not think it will because the lifetme is so short.  The Radeon VII were down as low as 500 a few months ago from some retailers.
Not seen any mention that the Radeon VII are EOLed at any retailer website.
Prices have increased in European websites to as high high as 800.
Maybe they will drop in price when/if "big Navi" is launched.

0 Likes

I doubt the price will drop much more on it. It's a more prosumer oriented card with higher compute performance than Navi, akin to nVidia's Titan, and I haven't read if AMD has a Navi based replacement for it, or if such a card would be possible with Navi architecture being tuned differently than Vega. That being said, the number of VII cards on the shelves at Newegg is extremely limited, only two models, and Amazon doesn't have any left, so it shouldn't be long before that's out of the conversation completely.

Seems unlikely.  AMD is apparently replacing the pro/machine learning lineups with Arcturus, which is still GCN based.  I guess RDNA will be for consumer/gaming purposes only.

0 Likes

Isn't the fact that they changed the name, more of an indication that it isn't a Polaris replacement?  If it were intended to be, why not leave it the same?

"RX690 / RX5700XT / Navi or whatever you want to call it does not replace RX Vega 64 Liquid on Compute performance and is similar performance in gaming."

Right, which is why Vega still exists in the pro and machine learning space and Navi does not.  Navi replaced Vega in the consumer/gaming GPU space because it now occupies the exact pricing tier Vega did, and Vega is well, gone.

Navi is a bit faster in gaming than Vega, uses less power, and more importantly, is much cheaper to make.

0 Likes

RE: Isn't the fact that they changed the name, more of an indication that it isn't a Polaris replacement?
No not at all. RX5700/XT is the Polaris RX590/580 replacement. The die size is the same, and the die size should determine the price point as the manufacturing process matures.
Bigger version of Navi will be the Vega replacement.
I do not think you can call the RX Vega 64 Liquid or RX5700XT an enthusiast level GPU.
I think they are both mid range GPUs today.
They are both ~ RTX2070 / Super perfomance level in gaming, without any Ray Tracing hardware included.

0 Likes

"X5700/XT is the Polaris RX590/580 replacement."

Except it isn't.  By the simple meaning of the word "replacement".

"The die size is the same, and the die size should determine the price point as the manufacturing process matures."

Is this a rule that companies have strictly sworn to adhere to?  Is this in any documentation?  Or is this just your personal belief on how things should work?  That is how it did work, once upon a time, but it is pretty clear, that currently, performance dictates price.  

"Bigger version of Navi will be the Vega replacement."  It will replace Radeon VII sure, but Vega has already been replaced, again, by the simple meaning of words.

"I do not think you can call the RX Vega 64 Liquid or RX5700XT an enthusiast level GPU."  

Well, AMD did call the 5700XT an enthusiast level GPU in the marketing material I posted above.  So you certainly "can" call it that, because, well, they did. 

The real problem is that NVidia didn't move the price/performance barometer at all with Turing's launch.  Turing GPUs were priced exactly as their Pascal performance equivalents.  AMD, then, has been slotting in their GPUs where they fit, relative to performance, into NVidia's pricing structure.   Not sure if Ampere or RDNA2 will shake up the price performance morass either.  It could be that they will again be priced exactly the same as the similar performing previous generation, with the higher end GPUs occupying ever higher price tiers.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.  If NVidia doesn't change the pricing structure with Ampere, it seems unlikely that AMD will push things lower either.

0 Likes

RE: but it is pretty clear, that currently, performance dictates price.  
No not true.
Prices are determined by what people are prepared to pay.
I do not think they are worth more than 250 so I will not be purchasing one.
I wish more people would think about the way GPU prices have moved, what they are actually buying, and be sensible and not give in to these prices.

Sadly there are quite a number of people with more money than sense, and many times that number who shrug and can't wait to hand over their money for a product at inflated prices. I think what happened in Japan with the 3950X's launch at the equivalent of $900 proved that yet again, and the billions nVidia has made on very inflated, first generation RTX cards proves it again, though both are really due to lack of competition. Heck, there's articles out today about how a third party modder has created a custom nVidia ReShade filter for Halo Reach which adds ray tracing lighting effects, and charges $5 for it.

Well, I think this goes back to something you said on this thread some time ago.  AMD used to be the brand that would push those prices down.  Now they are content to let NVidia dictate the price and just slot their GPUs in where they fit performance wise.  It seems more and more like cooperative price fixing versus actual competition these days.

Sad thing is, as long as this keeps showing green, we aren't getting any relief.

I guess I can't complain.  I picked up some of their stock 4 years ago at $1.92 a share.

I can complain, I had a chance to buy 1000 shares right before Ryzen debuted, and I passed...

I only use an older GTX 1060 so I am not motivated at all over ray tracing which dates back to the early days of PCs

0 Likes

I know I didn't buy a 5700xt. I just got a 2070 Super to pair with my new 4k tv. Aside from all the known reasons to choose it over the other is that the AMD card still has tons of complaints of driver issues and instability. Until they have a product that has feature parity and driver stability it just is not a comparable choice at least not at the same price point. Lower the price by a hundred bucks and maybe it becomes worth dealing with the caveats. AMD always had the reputation of buggy cards at release but they did used to get the issues sorted. We have now gone a couple generations of cards without many, many problems really disappearing and those that do still require changing settings if not hacks to get things working. All I know is none of this is the issue with any of my green cards and I now have 4 of those. A 1050ti, 1060 6gb, 2060, and now 2070 super. I can honestly say no issues with any of them hardware or software from day one they worked at defaults out of the box. To me I am willing to even pay a 50 dollar price premium if it means no hassle 

I had not had a green card till a year and a half ago for well over 10 years, but honest AMD gave me no viable choice. 

That said I am very happy with my B450 board and R5 3600 setup. AMD has the processor side figured out, but I had serious stability issues with that setup pairing with my RX 580 that I didn't have with that card and my i7 7700k. The new  2070 super works just fine with the new AMD system though. For some reason it seems that AMD graphics and CPU/MB are just bad to mix. I don't know why nor do I care. I just think you should be able to install the stuff and load drivers and be good to go. 

I got my 2070 Super as an Open Box deal for 450, about 40 bucks off. It is the Zotac Mini. It OC's like crazy and has performed awesome so far. 

0 Likes

Here's an interesting story too: nVidia G-Sync monitors will now work with AMD GPUs.

https://www.wccftech.com/amd-graphics-cards-and-consoles-will-work-with-future-g-sync-displays-nvidia-confirms/

Sounds more like they are just now adaptive or FreeSync compatible then G-Sync. However G-Sync Compatible is how they describe being FreeSync Compatible. 

0 Likes

Yes I think the AMD Processor side of things is good versus stagnant offerings from Intel.
I now run R7 2700X on X470 and R5 3600 on B450 motherboards.
Lack of Thunderbolt on AMD platform is an issue but I can run M.2-PCIe ADT-Link adapters now.
I have another dual motherboard multiGPU build on hold for now as I wait for significantly faster / higher IPC processors from AMD and Intel at reasonable price. 

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Yes I think the AMD Processor side of things is good versus stagnant offerings from Intel.
I now run R7 2700X on X470 and R5 3600 on B450 motherboards.
Lack of Thunderbolt on AMD platform is an issue but I can run M.2-PCIe ADT-Link adapters now.
I have another dual motherboard multiGPU build on hold for now as I wait for significantly faster / higher IPC processors from AMD and Intel at reasonable price. 

Thunderbolt is going nowhere fast. Both of the R7 2700X and the R5 3600 will run way better on an X570 platform like my MSI X570-A PRO which outperforms the various X470 Gaming Plus motherboards easily with the same pieces.

0 Likes

Thunderbolt 3 is a powerful technology especially when used for eGPu connection, and is supported by AMD XConnect Technology.
According to this, it is likely that Thunderbolt and USB 4.0 will converge: With USB 4, Thunderbolt and USB will converge – TechCrunch 
It looks like the technology is here to stay.

RE: Both of the R7 2700X and the R5 3600 will run way better on an X570 platform
Why?
Only difference is PCIe 4.0 support which not many will really need.
Yes you can use very fast M.2 Gen 4 SSDs that will improve data load/save times but that will not help in game performance.
That will not help with any AMD or Nvidia Desktop GPU performance available today.

Those X570 motherboards are far more expensive than the X470 counterparts.
I have not seen any data showing that an R7 2700X or R6 3600 will perform significantly better in gaming on a top end X570 versus top end X470 motherboard.

0 Likes

I found this advice about X570 versus X470 versus B450:
Should You Buy a X570, X470, or B450 Motherboard for Ryzen 3000 CPUs? - TechSiting

I have Ryzen 2700X running 64GB of 3200MHz Samsung B die DRAM at 3200MHz on ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI motherboard.

It took months of tweaking and many BIOS revisions and weeks of work testing and discussing with motherboard and RAM suppliers to get it minimally pass memory tests at that DRAM speed. It still needs more work to improve stability.

Maybe an X570 motherboard with some faster DRAM might perform better with the Ryzen 2700X which is speced to run with 2933MHz memory, but at that point I may as well buy a new Ryzen 3950X processor which has a system memory specification of 3200MHz, buy faster DRAM, and hope that the X570 Motherboard will allow me to run that processor at higher than spec frequency.

0 Likes

My boot times are way better with X570

0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Don't expect any price relief from Intel.  Apparently, things aren't going well if the latest rumors are to be believed.

Intel discrete GPU struggles: won't compete against NVIDIA or AMD 

I can believe it. AMD and nVidia have both had a number of really big disasters on the road, probably most people will remember AMD's first DirectX 10 card, the HD 2900/XT/Pro was unbelievably hot, loud, and blown out of the water by nVidia (I had a 2900 Pro...), and nVidia had the GTX 480 and 580 (Fermi) which was also so hot AMD made fun of them in a Youtube video, although the 580 thrashed AMD's offering, even the 5970 outside of very few Crossfire games. I just wish some state or country would start slinging this word around and do some investigation...I can't think of a better word to use when one party sets prices equal to a second party when they have an inferior product.

0 Likes

My MacBook has Intel 5300 graphics, it has 192 intel shader cores. It has 345 GFLOPS which is enough to run basic stuff.

It is not very powerful but it's still light years ahead of the HD 3000 and HD 4000 graphics.

0 Likes

Can you think of a single reason to buy any Navi card?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15090/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-super-review

0 Likes

The Adrenalin 2020 19.12.3 Driver GUI/UI?
Only joking.

0 Likes

I think I will pass a second hand Radeon VII after seeing this: The Disappointment PC 2019: Worst Parts of the Year - YouTube 

0 Likes

You couldn't give me a VII, it's too hot, too loud, and too power hungry...And it still amazes me they still sell for going on $600 on eBay second hand.

According to Intel, DG1 isn't suffering and will be on track probably for a CES reveal, although DG1 is still going to be very entry level, although since AMD and nVidia have both abandoned the sub $100 space, they will be in an uncontested market.

https://www.wccftech.com/intel-fires-back-at-dg1-gpu-rumors/