Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thisab
Adept I

3900x - MB slot B1 doesnt accept XMP (DOCP) profile

Config:

Asus TUF gaming B550M-plus and coupled with a 3900X and 2 pairs of HX432C16PB3K2/16. The memory is on QVL for use in the 4 slots.

Using DOCP with all 4 pairs in I got random issues (BSOD,etc).

Then I decided to test each ram on each slot. I could get many configurations to POST with DOCP profile (A2-B2,A1-A2-B2, only A1, only A2, only B2), except when there was any memory on slot B1. 

When testing with RAM only on B1, I swapped the RAM with all identical 4 DIMMs that I had and still didn't work.

However, when B1 is populated I can get a POST when removing the DOCP profile.

Using JEDEC spec only I get stability with the 4 RAM sticks.

The Motherboard is using the latest 1004 BIOS.

I thought about some issue with the b550m, but is there a chance of being something else? Like the CPU?

7 Replies
thisab
Adept I

Btw, there was no attempt of overclocking manually whatsoever. The system is new and I used default BIOS settings and enabled the D.O.C.P. profile.

0 Likes

First off did you buy a quad kit or 2 dual kits? Quad kits are will often work where 2 different kits may not. Sometimes that can be the issue. Plus a lot of memory may be on a QVL as being compatible as dual Chanel qualified but not 4. So check that too. 

I would talk to ASUS support they would be the ones that would help with their motherboard not AMD. Qualified memory is not done by AMD and is done by each motherboard. They would be best to assist in figuring out the issue. 

Assuming it is all on the QVL my gut instinct is it is a motherboard issue. If you are not on their latest bios you might want to try that before contacting their support department. 

thisab
Adept I

I bought 2 dual kits, but that were QVL for all 4 slots.

However, even a single DIMM wont work on B1 slot, only using JEDEC spec.

Sure, I strongly think that is a motherboard issue and it is on the latest firmware.

0 Likes

I think you are likely correct. Best bet is to talk with Asus support. 

0 Likes

Here is your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM MEMORY and your RAM is listed:

Here are the meanings and explanations: SS = Single Sided (RAM chips on one side of the PCB) DS = Double Sided (RAM chips on both sides of the PCB)

Possible it could be a BIOS issue or your motherboard is defective.  Try installing the last previous BIOS Version and see if you see any difference.

Just to eliminate either a bad Motherboard DIMM Slot or RAM try running MEMTEST86 and with DOCP enabled and disabled and see if it shows any errors.

You shouldn't get any RAM errors whether DOCP is enabled or not.

Note: if it was a CPU problem I believe it would occur all the time whether you have DOCP enabled or not, in my opinion. I could be wrong thou.

Thanks elstaci.

Well, I did test that DIMM_B1. Any config with that slot populated at 3200MHz either: do not POST or get memtest64 errors+BSODs+kernel panic.

Regarding the firmware rollback, I think Asus only lets you upgrade, not downgrade, unless you use a 3rd party tool and lose your warranty.

The weird thing is that with JEDEC on 2400MHz the system is very stable in any configuration. Makes me wonder why? Perhaps the MB does something wrong with the voltage/frequency when using that slot?

0 Likes

Hi, I have an update:

Ive tested the Asus TUF gaming B550M-plus with another processor (3100). Same results.

That could condemn the MB, but Ive done another test.

Got those same 4 RAM sticks + 3900X and tested in a Gigabyte Aorus Elite. Individually, they work fine in XMP, but when I try placing all the 4 sticks to 3200MHz (XMP) I got multiple errors on Memtest86. Same happened with Ruzen 3 3100 on that same motherboard.

Why cant I achieve the desired speed with 4 sticks now? Cant Ryzen 3rd gen handle 3200MHz with 4 sticks? Or is it something else?