Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vetur
Journeyman III

Error Thread stuck in device driver

Error Thread stuck in device driver

I bought my computer less than 1 month ago, and every time I play something after spending a few minutes or hours playing my computer crashes and the blue screen showing this error appears. I already took the test to stress the computer and it doesn't show any kind of error, it literally only happens when I have an open game.

MotherBoard: Battle AX B450M-HD, Bios version 5.14

CPU / APU: Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3700 Mhz

Power Supply: Aerocool KCAS 600W 80+ Bronze

RAM: 2x 8GB @ 3200Mhz

0 Likes
17 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I suggest you buy a GPU. A limited number of users with similar systems are having problems and the error message you are getting is a driver error.

0 Likes
ywdz
Journeyman III

What graphics driver do you have installed? What game are you playing?

0 Likes
vetur
Journeyman III

I tested several versions of the drivers and they all had this same problem,I play games like monster hunter, resident evil, dark souls, etc. the problem is that I can play for a few hours and have no problem, but if I open a game and the problem occurs, so the way it happens is quite random and I’ve already tried several solutions such as: format, restore, leave with windows drivers themselves but none of that worked, I always think that some of the "solutions" may have worked but then the blue screen or black screen comes and discourages me again xd

0 Likes
ywdz
Journeyman III

Could you please share a dxdiag log of your system and the memory.dmp file of bluescreen?

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

I have the same problem with adrenalin 20.8.1 , and had it with 2020 version before 20.4.2 , I advise you to install 20.5.1 to see if it happens again ... for me it solves the problem (gpu driver related problem with my radeon VII)

0 Likes
vetur
Journeyman III

I'm going to test this version and then I answer here saying if it worked or not, thanks

0 Likes

yup , use DDU as well in windows "no-failure mode" at startup to uninstall previous AMD drivers

0 Likes
vetur
Journeyman III

I tried to do the method you recommended me but the problem happened again, I just didn't understand why the BIOS was reset after the error occurred, can you tell me if this could be related to bios configuration? the only thing I do is to increase the frequency of the RAM but I have already tested it as a standard to test if this was the problem and the error occurred in the same way.

0 Likes

I think first thing to do is to let everything on default in bios, not trying to push anything unless the problem is solved to be sure not to combine several problems

on this forum they have the same probleme , maybe related to motherboard :

"Thread Stuck in Device Driver" BSOD Error Almost Daily - Windows Crashes and Blue Screen of Death (... 

check your motherboard bios version (last bios version seems to be 1011, i don't see nothing related to something like 5.14)

COLORFUL-BATTLE-AX B450M-HD V14 

0 Likes
vetur
Journeyman III

I tried again to solve the problem but nothing resolved, I left the BIOS as a default, put the latest version, even followed the steps to install the drivers that are on the Colorful website following the link you sent and even resolved the blue screen but in compensation it gave me frozen screen problems that needed to restart the computer to solve. So .. I have no idea what else I do to try to solve this

0 Likes

A user with a very similar system had just bought all the parts. RAMs were 1.35v on the compatibility list. In other words, (s)he was getting errors even though (s)he bought everything as (s)he should. I can list things you can try on this page but these are unnecessary. I have given you the solution to the problem at the top of this page. A nVidia GPU costing $50 will likely fix your problem. However, before making this spend, do a CPU test (for 10 minutes for AVX and for no-AVX) with OCCT. Make sure your processor is stable before buying a GPU.

Remember to disable the IGPU with the BIOS after the GPU connection is done. I don't know the cause of this problem. If you want, try to learn about what to do on that page... https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

freeze is a different kind of problem , do you monitor your temperatures ? as mstfbsrn980 said , you can see this in occt while testing it,

maybe try to underclock things to see if it helps

if no problem with occt , there is furmark to test the gpu and see temperatures

0 Likes

I respond to my answer as I solved my "thread stuck" bsod problems by restoring a 3 month old windows image backup, my system is now  perfectly stable (i began to have bsod with 20.5.1 too after some time, so it was not the problem because I know 20.5.1 have been perfectly stable on my system before), and then reinstalled 20.8.2 , and it is still perfectly stable now

so I suspect a windows driver corruption or incompatibility that is now solved for me and was not related to amd gpu drivers

0 Likes
jonmc
Journeyman III

Hello i am having the same problem can you help me? what do you mean by restoring 3 month old windows image backup

0 Likes

Hello, is your windows 10 installation old enough ? I had an installation that was upgraded to all versions from 1806 to 2004 ...

windows makes image backups (i don't know how often etc) , when you go in the windows troubleshooting for restart (hold shift in windows start menu and click on restart, then you should be displaying an option menu with a blue background) navigate through the options,  and search for the one that restores an old windows backup (if existing)

but since, I reinstalled the whole system with an 2004 windows iso and everything still ok with new 20.9.2

0 Likes
neerg
Journeyman III

hi xlox bro how i am encountering same problem stuck up thread driver Ryzen 5 3400g,battle ax b450m hd mobo. can i ask on how to do same as you did to you bsod and how to get 3 month old windows.. mine is windows 10 pro. thank you in advance

0 Likes

hi , so your windows was working ok before ?

when I restored a 3 month old backup in fact It just confirmed that it was working before (without reinstalling) with 1909 version of windows

But the problem reappeared after updating again to 2004 version and trying to reinstall every updates of every drivers...at the beginning the only thing i was trying to avoid is to reinstall

the fact is that reinstalling directly with a 2004 windows 10 ISO did make the problem disappear (and using latest updates for my system), my previous windows was pretty old .. .so the problem must have been a windows conflicting driver or something in the update that was corrupt i don't really know ...

0 Likes