cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Anyone using Ryzen 5 1600 YD1600BBAFBOX?

I purchased a B450I Gaming Plus AC motherboard from MSI. MSI states it, "Supports 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD® Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics / 2nd Gen AMD® Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics and Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Desktop Processors for Socket AM4". After reading that, I grabbed a Ryzen 5 1600 and thought I was good-to-go. I didn't notice it was YD1600BBAFBOX and not on the supported list. This thing seems to be in no-man's land if it's not 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Gen.

I'm having a very hard time finding any supported CPU. With the difficulty of replacing the CPU, now I'm hoping to keep the CPU and replace the motherboard, but that's not looking any easier. I feel like this build is dead. Anyone currently using YD1600BBAFBOX or a mini-itx mobo? Any work around like a boot kit?

0 Likes
12 Replies

Have you talked to MSi support about the issue? I know some newer bios drop support for 1st gen chips. Maybe you just need to regress the bios if possible. I would talk to MSi support. 

0 Likes

I have help a few Users who purchased that same CPU and found several Motherboards that support that new specific CPU. Not many but a few.

PCPICKERS Website has all the motherboards that support that specific Ryzen 5 1600AF Processor (12NM):http://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/AMD/Ryzen_5_1st_Gen/Ryzen_R5_1600_AF/2663/Compatible_Motherboards 

Found this MSI Motherboard from above link that is similar to yours that supports that CPU: Support For B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI G... 

This seems to be an updated webpage from above link from PCPICKERS: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=8HqBD3 https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=8HqBD3

The Rzyen 5 1600AF is basically a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU processor:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Review - TechSpot 

EDIT: Before purchasing the Motherboard, go first to the motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST and verify that is supports that 1600AF Processor and what BIOS version you need to get it recognized and to be able to boot up.

Appreciate the replies. Yesterday I was able to talk to MSI (closed Sat-Sun). They said it would work out of the box with that mobo. MSI rep suggested trying another CPU to rule that out, and if that didn't work to return the board because the CPU socket must be bad.

The seller of the CPU is sending me a replacement. *fingers crossed* Hopefully that does the trick.

just checked your Motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST and it is listed as being supported with BIOS Version 7A40vA1.zip: Support For B450I GAMING PLUS AC | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

That BIOS Version is the second BIOS update(2018) from the original BIOS version. So if you purchased the Motherboard in 2020 it should have that latest BIOS Version installed from that date of manufacturer.

0 Likes

I got the replacement CPU today and no luck. I got the motherboard a couple weeks ago but don't know when it was made. I saw online Asrock has a sticker on their boards showing the BIOS version. I can't seem to find it on my board. I'll triple check with MSI.

If I could find another mini-itx compatible board in stock, I would probably buy it and just return this one. Most likely going to have to send it to MSI though.

0 Likes

Are there any Trouble LEDs or Digital lights codes on the motherboard that will indicate what is wrong with the motherboard?

Found out your MSI Motherboard has EZ DEBUG LED codes on it to let you know what area or hardware is having issues on the Motherboard.

Which  EZ DEBUG LED is lit up on the Motherboard?  What color of the EZ DEBUG LED that is lit up?

0 Likes

Yes, the EZ Debug LED is what tipped me off. CPU light immediately comes on. Neat feature. I also tried booting without anything else, piece by piece. Then I tried booting outside of the case.

0 Likes

It is unbelievable that MSI doesn't indicate with a BIOS Sticker on the Motherboard what Version is installed. But if the Motherboard was recently purchased it should have either a 2019 0r 2020 BIOS version installed which does support your processor.

So most likely you got a defective Motherboard. To bad you don't have another compatible AMD Processor to install just to see if it will boot up or not.

0 Likes

I found an ASRock board on Amazon I'm going to try. I spoke to one of ASRocks' reps on the phone to confirm the CPU is compatible. He said it is and should be out of the box, and even if it wasn't out of the box, since it's a 1,000 series it will at let me update BIOS. If it was 3,000 series, that may be a different story.

I just double checked with MSI that it works out of the box. They said all first gen Ryzen will work out of the box. They also don't have any info on the board showing the BIOS version.

It's RMA for me, unless I can return it and find something else to buy. Appreciate all of the replies. Thanks!

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Your assumption this is a 1st gen Ryzen is wrong...  It's the "AF" and is actually a 2nd gen Ryzen...  basically a 2600.  MSI is correct. however they are just saying a 1600 should work out of the box...  you will more than likely need to flash the BIOS to get it to work.

QB

No, they are not just saying the 1600 works out of the box. They are saying the 1600 AF works out of the box and is first gen. Both times I talked to them I was very specific about the model of the CPU. Same with ASRock.