Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

matthandre
Adept I

RX 5700XT crashing on Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Hello,

My Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse is regularly crashing on several games, mostly Assassin's Creed: Odyssey but also sometimes World of Tanks and Rocket League (much rare fortunately). Attached are the logs from Windows regarding the latest crash on AC:O. Please let me know if I can get some more data in some way as I can easily replicate, it happens that often.

I have noticed two behaviours:

- Games freezes for a few seconds, then goes back to Windows and system is usable. However, launching any game at that point will trigger a full crash.

- Game freezes, and I have to restart my computer with the power button to solve the issue

Card is stock, no overclocking / undervolting. I have already tried reinstalling the games, the drivers, and Windows. Nothing fixes the issue.

Setup is MSI Tomahawk B450 Max / 3600X / 16GB RAM / Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse / Windows 10 64bit / Adrenalin 20.4.2 (also occurred on previous versions).

Should I RMA the card for this, or is it a software issue that can be fixed?

Thanks for the help

9 Replies
hlebka
Journeyman III

Hello, I have same problem as you. I purchased AC Odyssey today and when at menu screen, if I open steam overlay my game will crash immediately. I tried disabling steam overlay, crashing from menu screen was fixed but right now I'm experiencing crashes while playing game. I tried undervolting my card, adding voltage to CPU+GPU. Nothing worked, my card is RX 5700 SAPPHIRE Pulse. My drivers are 20.4.2

My crash goes like this - Screen goes black or freezes, I hear buzzing sound / freezed sound from my speakers and I have to hard reset with power button.

Exactly the same as my issues, apart from the crash with overlay (which works fine for me). Tonight I also had 3 crashes on World of Tanks in less than 1h of play... In the meantime I ran FurMark with no issue whatsoever, so issues seem to be limited to games.

Really thinking about returning this card and going green despite the price premium :-/

0 Likes
syverus
Adept I

Hello,

I had the same issue (crashing game with working desktop which crashes too once a game is started again). I managed to fix that problem but I got a new issue which is even more annoying and renders gaming impossible.

As I think it might help you in future (if I receive a response), I post my message to AMD right in here.

Hello,
I have severe problems with my brand new Radeon RX 5700 XT or more specifically with its drivers. The whole system is brand new but I cannot make it work properly. I will provide you much information on how the issues manifest and what I have tried so far.

At first, I want to mention that I am Computer Scientist holding an M.Sc. and do also have a deep history in gaming itself and gaming hardware. I do only mention this to sort out 1st level support or questions like "Is the RAM correctly installed?" or anything alike.

I bought and assembled the following components to my new desktop gaming machine:

• Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: Corsair DDR4-2132 2x16GB
  • Mainboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (MS-7B85) (BIOS Version: 7B85v1B)
  • SSDs: Force Corsair MP510 (C:) and Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (D:)
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 80 Plus Gold 550 Watts
  • Display: 2x iiyama ProLite E2783QSU-B1, both connected via DP

So, what is the issue?
After assembling the machine, I installed the latest (recommended) driver hence the AMD Software Adrenaline. Playing Hunt Showdown with these drivers resulted in random game crashes (VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR as well as TDR_Timeout). It seems that I managed to fix them by one or multiple of all the things I tried which I summarize later.

Once I had fixed these problems, I experienced sudden black screen-restart routines randomly during Hunt Showdown as well as instantly when starting to play AC Odyssey or directly after starting its own benchmark. As a matter of fact, the exact same problem as well as very similar problems occur for plenty of 5700 [XT] users even in June 2020. I have read tons of suggestions in threads of multiple forums all of which I tried. None of them worked. I am really frustrated and I am on the verge of sending the card back buying a Geforce 2070 as it just works. Really, it is a 400€ card which was released last year.

In order to fix these instant or sudden restarts (which render playing impossible), It tried all of the following things with no success (or at least the success in removing the TDR or VIDEO_SCHEDULER errors but that does not really help because the restart issue still remains)

• Uninstalling drivers using DDU and installing the recommended driver (20.4.somewhat)
  • Uninstalling drivers using DDU and installing the optional (20.5.1)
  • Complete uninstallation of windows (which was already new) and reinstalling using older drivers (19.somewhat)
  • Disabling hardware acceleration on all softwares I could find that use it (Discord, Browsers, Steam, Thunderbird, ...)
  • sfc /scannow
  • chkdsk
  • Setting Power Plan to "High Performance"
  • Disabling Link State Power Management
  • Disabling Windows Fast Startup
  • Setting TDR Timeout to 8 via the registry
  • Flashing the BIOS to its newest version
  • Setting the PCIe version from AUTO to gen3 in the BIOS (even though there is no gen4)
  • Raising Power Limit to 20, 25 and 50 using Wattman
  • Lowering Power Limit to -20 and -50 using Wattman
  • Undervolting the GPU using Adrenaline
  • Underclocking the GPU using Adrenaline
  • Disabling ALL features Adrenaline provides such as FreeSync or something like that
  • Probably even more which I already forgot

Nothing of these methods solved the issue even in combination with all others. However, this one thing I tried last finally seemed to work: I uninstalled AMD Adrenaline which does not uninstall the drivers themselves. And finally I managed to start the AC Odyssey benchmark and I could even play it! However, I am stuck at an average of 40fps. Additionally, the game does not really feel smooth. I can hardly explain it but something just feels not right. But at least it worked.

However, I then started Hunt Showdown which started but it is pain to play without the software. There are probably no crashes or sudden restarts but the frames raise and drop from 20 to 100. When using vsync, they are obviously capped (at 60) but the game stutters heavily. It's just not playable. After one round, even the menu was hardly usable (20 fps). Once quitting the game, even the desktop was stuttering. Whilst gaming and afterwards, in GPUz, I noticed that the GPU clock raises and lowers from 6 MHz (as for example in the menu) to 1800MHz. This could explain the strange fps raising and dropping randomly.

To sum up: Playing without Adrenaline solves the crashes and restarts but without the software, the game is hardly playable. It feels like the graphics driver was corrupt. One last thing I try is removing everything with DDU again and then installing the latest drivers without Adrenaline over the device manager. I don't think this will work though.

I hope you can help me with this. From my point of view it seems like Adrenaline was the problem. It does simply not work properly. I don't know what it does (with all features being disabled) but it does do something to make the games work properly considering fps and so on. But which part of adrenaline makes the PC restart or the drivers crash?

Regards,
Simon Amelunxen

PS: This is not a temperature problem. Not a single measured temperature raises above 80°C with the average overall temperature being 58°C.

I will inform you in case I get an answer and of course, I will paste the answer here.

0 Likes

Hey,

I stopped trying to solve my issues around a month ago, and contacted Amazon. They offered to swap the card for another one (same model and brand), even though I had bought my card back in December.

I agreed to the swap and haven't had a single crash with the replacement card. So I clearly had a hardware problem with the previous one. The new one also consistently boosts higher, so I'm quite happy with the change.

One thing that was an indication of a hardware problem was that the card could run fine for 1hour, but once I had a crash, any game would be unplayable even after restarting the system. It would crash almost instantly for sure. If I waited a bit with the computer turned off, it would then resume working for longer.

Good luck on solving your issues. The card is great value for money, but it's clearly a game of Russian roulette at the moment. Almost one year after release, it's really unacceptable.

Cheers,
Matthieu

0 Likes

Thank you for your answer although you don't experience any problems anymore.

I had uninstalled the drivers (this time using the AMD Cleanup Utility) and installed the newest drivers afterwards by using the device manager instead of using the Adrenaline setup. Now the instant restarts are back directly once I start AC Odyssey. The random Hunt Showdown crashes are back too.

Now I lost my trail which leaves me completely frustrated. I guess I am going to send it back and try a new one. If that does not solve the problems, I will switch to nvidia and never go back to AMD graphics again.

0 Likes

I feel you man, I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Hopefully a new

card fixes your issues!

0 Likes

Against what I mentioned earlier, I won't try a new Radeon 5700 XT. I bought a Geforce 2070 SUPER which will arrive tomorrow. I am pretty sure that is the only rational solution for my problems as I mentioned here as Siam1205. I will let you know whether that works :-D

LeonMelo
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same issue with this game on my RX 580. I think the fault is on the latest drivers because I have downgraded mine to 21.2.3 (released in February) and it looks like the problem has stopped. Maybe try doing that and see if it works for you.

0 Likes