cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hac
Journeyman III

Chipset installer not working

I recently upgrade my pc, changing from intel CPU to the Ryzen 5 3600 with a new tomahawk B450 mobo. I was told to setup the power setting to "AMD Ryzen balance" and to do that, I need to install a chipset driver so I went on this link https://www.amd.com/en/support. I downloaded and install the ryzen master but after the message saying "Install successful" nothing is installed. I tried downloading the chipset but when run the file AMD_Chipset_Software.exe, there is a message "This installer is intended to be deployed onlyon an AMD system" and basically terminate the installation. I check with my device manager and see the new CPU, Ryzen, was listed as active processor. Does anyone have an idea on what I should do? Thank you in advance.

20 Replies

This User with a current AMD Thread as the same exact problem as you do: Cannot install chipset driver 2.04.04.111 on X399 chipset 

Seems to be a serious bug in the latest AMD CHIPSET.

I suggest you also reply at the above link.

Also I highly suggest meantime that you open an Online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) to let them know of this specific bug in the latest CHIPSET from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form  

For the time being, Install the last previous CHIPSET that will install successfully until a fix is provided in the next CHIPSET driver set.

amdmatt

Same issue here

"This Installer is intended to be deployed only on an AMD system.Exiting installation as the requirement is not satisfied."

Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.836)
MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium (BIOS 7A31v1MR)
Ryzen 5 3600X

I uninstalled previous drivers (v1.11.22.0454). Issued a "shutdown -s -t 0" using the run command.

Restarted PC and attempted to install the new drivers .......

Ive sent the report to AMD .........

type1tech
Journeyman III

Can confirm - MS tool from the other post corrected problem for me on Threadripper 2950X & X399 when trying to install June update from AMD. Thx for reference @elstaci.

Details for anyone interested:

When installing AMD chipset software it complains that the system is not AMD. Turns out that error was misleading. For me it was a bad MSI path.

I had recently scrubbed tmp folders during PC cleanup in prep for Win 10 2004 update and thus removed old AMD installation media. New install would hang when it tried to uninstall individual components of old package because main MSI from old package was gone.

Main installer package calls several other packages during installation. All of these other MSI packages get a registry entry containing a removal string with the current package's GUID that reference the main package's GUID as the source.

Individual MSI packages were still available since Microsoft secretly stores all MSI locally in C:\Windows\Installer. I could issue MSI removal commands to individual MSI packages (such as GPIO) but ran into same removal issue due to missing source.

Ran MS tool on any failing MSI packages found above. For me it was Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and Chipset Drivers. Once corrected by the MS tool I rebooted & ran the main installer again. All packages installed & power plan is active.

with a clean install of windows, there is a basic chipset update pulled from the update servers that works fine

no real need for more 

0 Likes

hello,

take care with default windows chipset driver, many users reported few issues with heat and core speed lock. Power plan seems to be outdated and not so reactive than 2.04 and after. Perhaps windows send now more recent version, last time I tested, windows default chipset driver date from end of 2019.

0 Likes

i use the power saver plan, it seems to be stable on my box

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

hello,

AMD chipset installer 2.04.04.111 have a little issue if the previous 1.91 is already installed, just uninstall it before.

I don't tested the last from early June, 2.04.28.626.

I suggest to install version 2.05 supposed to have corrected this install issue (AMD official but I don't know why it's not present on AMD website but only on Asrock website), I made a little post here showing my test experience.

AMD Chipset Drivers Ver. 2.05.04.352 from May 21, 2020 

mongoled
Adept II

I resolved this issue by using a 3rd party uninstaller to remove the AMD drivers after having recovered my system using "System Restore".

So this seem like an issue where the AMD uninstaller is not removing all the relevant files and registry entries.

The response from AMD was subpar IMHO, as the information that was given them (log error file) was enough for them to determine that there response to me should not have been

I suggest you check the issue status by extracting the driver folder first instead of clicking on the .exe file and turn off antivirus and firewall protection, then right click and ran as an administrator and please let me know the status.

Please report those finding to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

I have already reported it to them, though looking at how they responded to me, its not a good look .....

0 Likes

I hear you. While I recommend contacting them because frankly you run out of other options. I have very bad luck of them even responding. What can you do though. It is the only option you have to contact them. They don't help here. When I have gotten a reply it has been canned answers or worse advice than I can give myself. Mostly I don't get an answer. While I have a pretty negative opinion on the luck of getting any help from them. I always am polite and explain the issues well. You either hope they answer there or move on in whatever way you can to get back to computing and not trouble shooting. 

I have had to RMA 2 MSI boards the second because the replacement for the 1st came in DOA. There support however was immediate and the replacement while too long for my liking was within normal standards, especially with a pandemic going on. 

I don't think a bios issue is the blame. I have 3 of these boards and they and ryzen master installed on all of them but never with this chipset version driver. AMD and their installers seem to have random trouble with Windows where I have experienced this with no other drivers or apps. Something they do does not play nice with with windows update and the fast startup option. I have seen this behavior in other drivers from them so it does not surprise me. I hope they ultimately fix this. End users dont' deserve such hassle of a simple software install. 

rojmiller
Journeyman III

The issue seems to be related to the bios that is installed on the system. On my system with a relatively recent MSI bios (AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B), the new installer worked perfectly. On an otherwise identical system, but with an older bios (prior to AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab), I got the same message as above. My solution was to install an older driver from: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 . The latest one that worked was 2.01.15.2138, from Jan 16 2020.

0 Likes
solution-design
Journeyman III

Ryzen 1800x on Crosshair VI Hero, Bios 7704, 12/16/2019. The same Problem "this installer is intended to be deployed only on an amd system"

I've installed the chipset-driver as "run as system". I'm used this Tool PsExec - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs . In this Case, the Installation was completed without error. The MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab did not help, despite the specified repair. I checked the Installation with the "DriverStore Explorer" GitHub - lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer: Driver Store Explorer [RAPR] 

I hope that this emergency solution will help you too.

0 Likes

A clean install of windows finds a chipset driver on windows update

it seems to work fairly well

0 Likes

The chipset drivers from Windows Update are obsolete. I noticed this with older games like Crysis 1 under Windows 10 20H2. Despite the latest Nvidia drivers from July 2020. So Windows Update is never a solution, even if it seems that everything works. It also works, until the first problem.

0 Likes

I have not been able to get Crysis to work for years. Game is borked.

Crytek is working on a remastered version, so maybe that will work.

0 Likes

You're making excuses, getting off topic. What was the question from the first poster again?

0 Likes
kiloalphaindia
Journeyman III

After some research I finally found a solution, that worked for me.

Start Local user manager:

* Open Run command (Win + R)
* execute lusrmgr.msc
* go to users and open user administrator
* enable the administrator accounts
* close user administrator
* optionally change the password of Administrator by right click and selecting change password
* log out from your account
* login as user Administrator
* install the chipset driver (really it worked!)
* reboot

Don't forget do disable the Administrator account again. (Win +R -> lusrmgr.msc -> User -> Administrator -> disable).

NOTE: My Windows is in german, but I tried my best to guess the proper english names.

omg. Thanks bro! It worked!!!

0 Likes
tomipirinen
Journeyman III

Hello, I don't know if anyone is still dealing with this problem, but  I managed to solve it by creating a new administrator account that dah do space in the name of it. I just named my account "withoutspace", gave it a password and administrator rights and managed to update the chipset driver.

0 Likes