cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

Forum notifications are not working

amdmatt‌ it seems that the forum notifications are borked, not getting any at all so I cannot follow up with any discussions

1 Solution

The forum notification issue has been resolved, thanks for being patient folks. 

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Thanks for confirming the problem. I thought it was just me. I PMed Ray_M about it just now and also Kingfish to see if he can PM me back to see if I get his PM back in my Inbox Notification.

My Inbox hasn't been updated since yesterday.

Sounds like AMD's JIVE software is having issues at the moment.

EDIT: I tried to see if in my Preference something got turned on or off. Couldn't find anything.

0 Likes

I have experience with phpBB which has been well maintained in an age of spam bots from hell.

Captchas have also been beaten which shows that more research is needed.

0 Likes

I noticed it is not showing my messages as read no matter how many times I view them. You guys think this is related?

0 Likes

Most likely, JIVE controls all those features. It is possible that AMD is doing maintenance or doing some other things that is affecting JIVE from working fully.

Just taking a guess though.

I imagine Ray or Matt will mention something later on.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Most likely, JIVE controls all those features. It is possible that AMD is doing maintenance or doing some other things that is affecting JIVE from working fully.

Just taking a guess though.

I imagine Ray or Matt will mention something later on.

Hopefully somebody will get to this soon. I am sure there are a lot of inquiries that are not being handled due to the problem.

0 Likes

I PM'd Ray early this morning...I don't think the messages are going through.

I'm sure they are aware of the problem by now.

elstaci‌ I didn't get any message

kingfish‌ I suspected as much. I was hoping you would reply to this thread and mention it if you received my PM or not.

I mentioned to Ray in my PM that I wouldn't be able to see his reply if Ray does reply,

As far as I know this started at least a day ago according to the last notification I received on a thread in my Inbox.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks folks, i will file a ticket with Jive so they can investigate. Notifications are not working properly for us either.   ray_m

amdmatt wrote:

Thanks folks, i will file a ticket with Jive so they can investigate. Notifications are not working properly for us either.   ray_m

Thanks for responding and letting us all know that this issue is widely extant.

0 Likes

This issue is still open with Jive and they are investigating. Apologies for the inconvenience caused in the meantime with the lack of notifications. 

The forum notification issue has been resolved, thanks for being patient folks. 

It has been at least 6 days since I had my Notifications and Inbox working.

Any update concerning JIVE or has Notifications and Inbox been removed as a feature at AMD Forums or is it being replaced with an updated version?

Kinda annoying have to physically visit all the threads you have participated to see if you received a reply or not. Plus you can't PM anyone or at least receive any PM from others.

Given the cost of JIVE, open source is far more stable

Lots of companies back open source, it is easier to maintain with the source code

0 Likes

I think this was said while the forums were still on the old software, and it's worth saying again.

AMD spends millions on F1 sponsorships, yet they won't spend tens on their official support forums. This shouldn't be the last place people go to get support, after social media...

0 Likes

AMD finally repaired JIVE. This morning I saw my first Notifications in about 2 weeks.

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

AMD finally repaired JIVE. This morning I saw my first Notifications in about 2 weeks.

I noticed that too, only problem all the previous notifications are MIA

So lots of dangling queries on the forum to contend with

0 Likes

Just guessing, But since JIVE wasn't aware of any posts after it became defective it won't be aware of them now after being fixed.

0 Likes

Hopefully they will -finally- make the long overdue jump to new forum software which will have the capabilities of other forums, such as a system specs popout display (and mandatory system specs to post), and will not have such crazy autoflagging systems, such as using the degree symbol, or block posts as offensive for using words such as ßutt, even if it is part of a longer word or name.

The ASUS forums, for example, have a popout display for system specs.

I believe this is the JIVE program AMD uses for its Forums: https://www.jivesoftware.com/ 

JIVE has it disadvantages but JIVE has many advantages also.

1- JIVE maintains a Ratings for each User by giving them points and Rewards in various categories. This is an incentive to keep active at AMD Forums for Users that like that type of stuff. A feature that other Forums don't use or if they do use a similar feature it is very limited in scope.

2- With JIVE the Users are able to upload Images and links and Attach certain sized software or programs. Some Forums you are not able to upload images or attach files to a reply.

3- JIVE Notification system is similar to other Forums and is easy to send PMs to other Users or Moderators.

4- JIVE censorship could use some tweaking and not make it so restrictive. I needed to change the name of a Malware in a Article I uploaded because the Malware's name was a slang name that was considered to be derogatory in the past.

5- Also when JIVE turns a User's reply to be Moderated by one of the Moderators. It could be less restrictive and a better process of having the Moderator authorize the Reply faster.  Something that I wished Nvidia GForce Forums has. That Forum is like the Wild West. Anyone can reply no matter how derogatory or insulting it is without censorship. Nvidia Code of Conduct is basically a Paper Tiger. worthless.

6- With JIVE you can edit or delete your Reply or Post in a thread. Many Forums don't have this feature.

EDIT: The above comments are just my personal observations and views.

They're working again

0 Likes

Yes, unfortunately none of what was posted in the down time has notifications. 

0 Likes

elstaci wrote:

Just guessing, But since JIVE wasn't aware of any posts after it became defective it won't be aware of them now after being fixed.

I guess the slate is blank so back square one.

All I know is that Jive is far from game friendly. Open source has tons of plug-ins for all occasions.

0 Likes

In my Inbox under "Notifications" I just received 2 weeks of Notifications. So I guess JIVE is catching up to those posts during JIVE's issue.

Yes, unfortunately it was down for around two weeks which made keeping track of posts I'd responded to rather difficult. 

elstaci wrote:

In my Inbox under "Notifications" I just received 2 weeks of Notifications. So I guess JIVE is catching up to those posts during JIVE's issue.

Not on my end, only new notifications from when the problem was fixed are appearing.

0 Likes

It may be the case that some previous notifications were not picked up, but it should ensure all future notifications arrive in your inbox.