cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rainingtacco
Challenger

20.2.1 -some youtube videos on chrome cause chrome window to appear all black

So everything works on Microsoft Edge, and it appears the 20.2.1 is the problem. I can disable hardware acceleration in chrome and everything is fine, but i can also remove the drivers and everything is also fine. So it's clear as day that the drivers are the cause. Please fix this, as i didn't have this problem before. 

28 Replies
lebreezyaf
Adept I

Same issue with my RX 5700 XT and AMD Radeon Software 20.2.1.

It seems to occur on Chrome 80 only, downgrading fixes the issue.

Just to be clear -downgrading the driver to 20.1.3 did nothing and the problem still occured. You have to downgrade chrome to version before 80!!! 

AMD STOP RELEASING DRIVERS EVERY FEW DAYS/WEEK PUSHING MEANINGLESS STUFF THAT IS UNTESTED, MAKE UPDATES EVERY MONTH, BUT MAKE IT COUNT AND FIX REAL ISSUES AND NOT THE SUPERFLUOUS THINGS LIKE YOUR APP OR UI. WE NEED GOOD DRIVERS, AND NOT MINOR FIXES TO RELIVE!!!

0 Likes

To be fair, it's not AMD's fault, but rather Google's for pushing a broken update.

Well the chrome works fine when you don't install AMD driver, so i guess the fault lies on both sides, as earlier chrome versions work fine.

0 Likes

I understand your reaction but i think AMD really improved their drivers since the beginning we should keep faith in them

But yeah they should fix all bug before releasing new features!!

0 Likes

Same issue here,
works fine with h.accel. disabled or by reverting chrome to version 79.xx, but that's unfortunate still
5700xt

Youtube is working fine on my RX 480 with a fresh install of windows

20.2.1 seems to be free of BSOD problems too

0 Likes

Yeah the latest Chrome update seems to give issues on RX 5700 (both XT and non-XT) only.

A friend of mine with an RX 5700 non-XT has the same issue.

I don't have the problem on chrome lower than 80, no matter the driver, so it's clearly some AMD driver-chrome bad interaction. When you disable hardware acceleration it goes away, but that's not a good solution!

I have 5700 XT that might be a problem.

0 Likes
liscu
Journeyman III

Same here -5700 xt. But  isn't driver problem. I had it on older drivers too. 

0 Likes
cjromix
Adept I

My Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse stopped supporting YouTube & Facebook after updating Chrome to v.80, I spent all day on solving this problem with Google technical support, a day has passed and the problem has not been solved so far! So I deleted Chrome and will never return to it again. I installed the latest version of Yandex Browser and it works fine! Moreover, Yandex Browser on the fly picked up all the settings of Chrome - all bookmarks and passwords and even extensions! So let Google amuse itself with the thought that it’s impossible to do without Chrome even further, that's enough for me!

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)
this new version may solve some problems
0 Likes

I have problem in this Version 80.0.3987.87

yendys
Adept II

I am reporting the same problem ... I can only help with this: switch windows to HDR in windows settings. Then I can at least close that broken video all over Chrome! God!

yendys wrote:

I am reporting the same problem ... I can only help with this: switch windows to HDR in windows settings. Then I can at least close that broken video all over Chrome! God!

Does your LCD support HDR for Windows 1809 and above? I have an LG 4K panel that does properly support that feature.

Check your LCD panel documentation.

0 Likes

Yes. supports HDR. Without HDR support, the setting to turn on HRD cannot be used.

My problem with "black" Chrome and YT is just off HDR. If I turn on HDR, Chrome will start displaying the video ... It's just gray and ugly ...

0 Likes

yendys wrote:

Yes. supports HDR. Without HDR support, the setting to turn on HRD cannot be used.

My problem with "black" Chrome and YT is just off HDR. If I turn on HDR, Chrome will start displaying the video ... It's just gray and ugly ...

Can you post a link to your particular LCD so I can look over the specs carefully

0 Likes

Samsung C27HG70 - LED monitor 27"
(Links were rejected by the administrator!)

0 Likes

Feel free to edit your post and add the links as it was rejected in error.

0 Likes

yendys wrote:

Samsung C27HG70 - LED monitor 27"
(Links were rejected by the administrator!)

The panel seems to be fairly standard. Do you have videos locally that play OK?

FreeSync on my LG panel has to be enabled on the panel as it is disabled by default

0 Likes
mretnie
Adept II

Hey guys, I have the same issue.

RX 5700 here on 20.2.1 and Chrome 80.x. If you disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome it once again works. Also if you enable HDR in Windows 10 (besides everything looking fracking muted and colorless then).
What has anything to do with anything?

0 Likes

This is not only Chrome bug, the new Edge by Microsoft have same problem ((

However Cent Browser work fine & Yandex Browser of course!

cjromix
Adept I

Install this App from Microsoft store Microsoft VP9 Video Extensions 

Some videos start to work, but unfortunately not all ((

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

This issue has been acknowledged in the Chromium tracker here

Contained in that link is a potential workaround. Also mentioned that disabling hardware acceleration may resolve the issue. 

amdmatt wrote:

This issue has been acknowledged in the Chromium tracker here

Contained in that link is a potential workaround. Also mentioned that disabling hardware acceleration may resolve the issue. 

I use Chrome and it works with Youtube on my team red rig.

Mostly I watch music videos from Vevo which are better quality

0 Likes

Thanks for the info.

cjromix
Adept I

Go to chrome://flags/#use-angle and set it to anything other then D3D11 or Default and fixed it.

D3D9 seems the most stable option.