Why is my gpu overclock itself?

Full system specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

16GB DDR4 3000mhz ram

Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700xt

Corsair RM750x PSU

Driver version: 20.1.1

Note: I have not changed any settings in wattman. And all that happens when playing games.

At first my gpu uses 180-190W and clocks around 1800mhz in Silent Bios and in Performance Bios 210-220W and clocks around 1900mhz. Wich is completely normal. But after a while it starts to act weird. Power usage starts to fluctuate from 150W all the way up to 270W and clocks jump from 1700mhz up to 2100mhz. Does not matter what Bios setting im using at the time and when it starts act weird bios switch stops working alltogether.

I dont know what triggers this issue, seems to be random.

Only way to get things back to normal is do reinstall drivers using DDU. But this aint permanent fix as it starts to act weird again.

Some people wouldnt find it as a issue since free performance right?  but since i have pretty silent build and using Silent Bios is pretty much a must for me because of the fan noise and lower temperature.

Does anyone have counter this issue before? or know how to fix it? Would be great help.

PS. Sorry about my poor writing since english aint my first language. I hope you understand.

8 Replies

Video cards have a boost feature to improve performance in games if there is lots of power available

Sorry, i should have used different title and be more clear. I know how boost works. Raises clock speed according to temperature and power. But my issue is that it raises power limit by itself. It suppose to stay with power target set by bios and not use 50% more power. In silent bios it suppose to max out at 190ish Wattage but it does not. After a while it starts to use up to 270W.

warric wrote:

Sorry, i should have used different title and be more clear. I know how boost works. Raises clock speed according to temperature and power. But my issue is that it raises power limit by itself. It suppose to stay with power target set by bios and not use 50% more power. In silent bios it suppose to max out at 190ish Wattage but it does not. After a while it starts to use up to 270W.

About the only way to reduce the power used is to use software like MSI Afterburner which control the power with a slider. You can also undervolt the card to reduce power more at the expense of performance.

At the end of the day top cards are demanding. I use the HX1000i because of the demands of brutal games can push my older RX 480 up to 225W as well. The RX 480 was sold as a 150W class card vs the GTX 1060. I have both cards.

Here is gamer nexus video and look at the first graph starts around 4min12sec. Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+ Review: In-Depth Thermals, Noise, Overclocking, & Power - YouTube 

Now at first my card does the same, everything good. But after a while, sometimes after a hour playing, sometimes after few days it starts to use 270W. Does not matter what Bios setting i use. And to get things back to normal i have to reinstall drivers using DDU.

If u say it is normal than idk...

I use DDU extensively myself, but with a 1000W PSU I have been resigned to having my card use all it wants.

My card was the top model back in the day and it is still potent to this day for gaming.

0 Likes

What utility is showing those power readings, wattman has misread/glitched read out in the past.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Yeah, i use amd own performance overlay. But with gpu start use more power, it raises temperature also. 

0 Likes

I have a Gigabyte card (not dual vbios), not seen any excessive power use spikes.

I do not have wattman enabled or any 3rd party oc/fan app.

Are you getting the same high power readout from another app, eg. HWINFO64 running in the background ? 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes