Question asked by azjazz on Dec 5, 2019
Latest reply on Dec 8, 2019 by azjazz

Computer Type: Desktop

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 w/ 6GB VRAM

CPU: Ryzen 3900X

Motherboard: MSI X570 ACE

RAM: Samsung NVMe 970 32 GB

PSU: EVGA 750W

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 x64 (v10.0.18362.476)

GPU Drivers: v441.41

Chipset Drivers: AMD Chipset v1.11.22.454

Background Applications: Avira, Sync.com

Troubleshooting: All other background apps were terminated or prevented from starting, with no effect.

Hi - I have a new Ryzen 3900X-based system that I recently built.

I have been trying to get my system idle CPU temperature low and stable. After initially installing Win10, my idle CPU temperature would shoot up to 52 DegC and then drop to about 36 DegC, cycling this way every 7 seconds.

To get my CPU temperature down, I found a post in a forum that recommended enabling Precision Boost Overdrive in Ryzen Master, and then selecting the Win10 Power Saver power profile.

At first, this looked like the perfect solution! My idle CPU temperature dropped down to 33 DegC, and didn't fluctuate at all. Ryzen Master showed about half of the cores randomly going into "Sleep" mode. Running some benchmark tests showed that the CPU would immediately boost to 4200 MHz when needed and Vcore would rise as high as 1.35 VDC.

All seemed good, but then I noticed something weird: Certain apps and activities seemed to "freeze" for no apparent reason. For example, I tried installing an application, and it froze at 78% during the install for over 10 minutes! Loading a saved configuration into a different application took about 90 seconds, where previously it would load in about 30 seconds. When I set the power profile back to Ryzen Balanced, these freezes would not occur - but then my CPU temperatures started fluctuating again.

I don't know if this is a CPU issue, a memory or SSD access issue, or X570 chipset issue.

Does anyone know what is going on? Is there another setting in Ryzen Master or my BIOS that I need to adjust?

Thanks,

AzJazz

Outcomes