cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

vandersexxx
Adept II

Stable 60 fps feels like 30 fps

Hello! I just switched from my geforce 1050ti to rx 590, and I am having an issue in some games. Even if FPS sky rockets up to 300 gameplay is not smooth, it looks like frame skipping or smth like that, even at locked 60 or unlocked fps It feels like 30 fps, no other graphical issues, only image and gameplay are just not smooth.

Games not affect by this: Dishonored 2, Dark Souls Remastered, Pillars of Eternity 2, Endless Legend, Endless Space.

Games affected: Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Dishonored 1, Dead Island Remaster.

I never had a problem like that on 1050ti in any game.

All drivers are up to date, I already did clean installation of them with DDU and without. No overclocking, never used wattman, etc.

My specs: Win10, sapphire rx 590 nitro+, core i3 7100, 16gb RAM, 500W PSU KCAS, 1920x1080 hp monitor via hdmi.

0 Likes
5 Replies
khun_doug
Elite

Without having any of those games, the first thing that comes to mind is V-Sync. Your HP monitor will have some refersh rate specified. And the HP monitor should also support Freesync. The games that have a good feel may default to having V-Sync enabled. The other games may default to V-Sync disabled. I would try enabling V-Sync on the problematic games. Also, limit your FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor. You are likely to experience some tearing if you exceed the monitor refresh rate.

0 Likes

My monitor doesn't support freesync, sadly. And I forgot to mention, that v-sync, or enhanced sync has no effect on that issue, limited or unlimited framerate also.

0 Likes
vandersexxx
Adept II

I thought it was my mouse, but it's not, I just tested with another one. So it appears, that GPU utilization mostly stuck at 0% in L4D2. GPU core, memory: everything is working like PC is idling at 300-400Mhz or smth like that, power consumption is stuck at 30W-40W and that's it. However, It works fine in Dishonored 2. I'm out of ideas actually. But I swear to god, I never had an issue like that with 1050Ti.

0 Likes
khun_doug
Elite

In Adrenalin, go to Gaming -> (The game you are looking at) -> Profile Graphics. You should see Chill (FPS) and Frame Rate Target Control. For the problem games I recommend turning off Chill. I have a DX11 game that does not play properly with Chill enabled. That game does exactly what you are describing, playing in slow motion. I turned off Chill and the game returned to normal. You also have the option to enable/disable Wait for Vertical Refresh (V-Sync), Radeon FreeSync, etc.

If you game is not listed, you can manually add the game. Back in the Adrenalin Game Explorer, use the Add button.

0 Likes

Chill is off by default, this game is DX9. It's not slow motion, it's like frame skipping. Looks like this but not that intense:

The Witcher 3 GOG Mouse Stuttering Issue [SOLVED IN DESCRIPTION] - YouTube 

P. S. Just ran Pillars of Eternity 2- super smooth, no mouse jittery. Only windows reinstallation left...

0 Likes