AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Frequent discord crashes

Question asked by omti on Oct 14, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 30, 2019 by sanyo5

Hello,

I've got a problem with my Radeon RX 5700 XT. As a gamer I'm also a discord user. Now I've got the problem that my discord regularly crashes while the GPU stays at 100% in the windows task manager. I also cannot close the final process that's pushing the GPU at 100%. I can only make this stop after rebooting the computer. Even then the GPU often shows 100% usage in the task manager even when there's no open process. (Anti-malware programs haven't found a crypto miner). This can persist over multiple reboots, only resetting when I reinstall the driver.

Since the current stable version had some known discord bug, I tried updating to the "optional" version of the driver, but this only made the problem worse. Previously this only occured when I viewed pictures in discord (though it wasn't reliable), now it just randomly occurs (for example when switchign channels or even just trying to type something). I have reset the driver to the stable/recommended version, but this didn't really make things better.

While I had no issues in any games I played (except when the discord crashed this also crashed my game (factorio in this case) since it apparently deactivated the GPU for a moment) the increasing frequency of the discord crashes makes me worry this does damage the GPU. Especially since I can't not use discord.

I hope you can help me.

Omti

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.2 Recommended (WHQL)
  • Display Devices
    • Some HP office screen
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair CX550M (550 Watt)
  • RAM
    • 16GB

Outcomes