Adept II

DX Error Causing Game not to Start

Specs
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.30GHz
16GB ram
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X 19.9.2 WHQL Driver
Windows 10 Home 1903

Hope Im in the right forum....

I play a flight sim IL2 - Battle of Stalingrad, and back on Aug 28th, I updated to Windows version 1903, from 1803. I didnt think nothing of it until I tried to play IL2, havent played the game for over a month now, and get this....

DXBufferMan11::vb(..)

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED (0x887a0005)

I have searched everywhere, tried so many uninstalls/reinstalls, the regedit thing, rolling back drivers, updating drivers, reinstalling drivers, scan disk, reinstall DirectX, and so on and so on. My poor computer cant take it.

Has anyone with an AMD card, not an Nvidia (this error seems popular on those cards) had this and successfully fixed it and was able to get it to work?

Thanks.

PS: This is what IL2 support officially sent me after I sent them dxdiag, tasklist and msinfo, obviously, they have no clue as to how to fix this. Waste of time really, seems like im talking to Microsoft on their forums.

Dear user,

Try the following steps: - to introduce the game to the exceptions list security features or to disable them. - disable the Programs that use your video adapter in parallel with the game and utilities from the Manufacturer. For example, we have feedback from pilots who have had similar problems. They claim that some of these utilities have had a negative impact on the stability of the Game. - re-Install the drivers for your video card , It may make sense to try earlier versions of the Driver. - exit/disable all unnecessary processes.   take a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815069/en-us

0 Likes
1 Solution

I found the solution. So simple, I feel terrible. For anyone else who has this error, please try what I did.

- reset all your graphics settings, the game actually started for me, I was so happy

- start the process of elimination, turn on what you normally have, the, start turning things off

-for me? Under Anti-Aliasing Mode, I always had it on Enhance Application Setting. Seems IL2 does not like that. Turn on Use Application Settings, game starts, I am happy again.

- I do hope this helps others, this was a huge issue for over a month!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
khun_doug
Elite

I'll take a stab at helping with this. While I have not had the same exact error you are seeing, I have seen some odd things with games after an OS update, and that were specific to a brand of GPU. In my case I had a game that would not accept an NVIDIA GTX 1060 as a card capable of running a game that was several years old already, and would run fine on much less hardware.

Your error is definitely something related to Direct X. I do know that Microsoft changed some game related graphics support in build 1903. Do you know if this game requires the PhysX support library? Even though that software is by NVIDIA, there are plenty of games that still need it to work, even with an AMD GPU. Also, there is one specific version of PhysX that has support that was not forwarded into updated PhysX builds. In the case of games that use those old entrypoints, there is a special PhysX build to allow them to play.

As for the game, is there anyway to bring the game up in safe mode so you can navigate the settings menus to check and change video related settings? Perhaps a toggle on the game executable. Have you tried any of the Change High DPI Settings in the shortcut or executable for the game? And in Adrenalin have you tried changing any of the game related settings? If Adrenalin does not recognize the game you can manually add it and then override the defaults.

You can also try searching for D3D errors related to that game. Perhaps others with that game and different hardware have experienced similar errors.

0 Likes

The game IL2 does not require PhysX. I havent seen anything related to PhysX as of late that required it to be installed.

To answer your last statement, I cant even start the game at all. That error pops up as soon as I click the exe. Ive tried changing all setting in AMD software as well. Even tried the last good driver that worked with the game.

It stopped working the minute I updated to 1903. I had driver 19.8.2 with Windows 1803, and same driver with 1903. The response I got back from IL2 support tells me they have no fix. I am gonna post in Microsofts forums. Last place. If I cant find a solution, I will just uninstall. Not worth it anymore.

Thanks though, the response is appreciated.

0 Likes

Wow, this really is a curiosity. I know you said you reinstalled DirectX. But just to be sure, look for the DirectX Web Installer, and let it run again. I know that I have seen some odd behavior with updates making changes to DirectX and needing to use the web installer to put it all back. The error you're seeing is something about a DirectX library not being available. I know that may not be much help, but it is the best I can think of.

One thing that did work for me and might be a solution for you was/is to use VMware. I have Sherlock Homes Versus Jack The Ripper and it refused to recognize the GPU as something other than a low-end GPU and would only run at the lowest level of graphics and details. I already had VMware WS Pro so I virtualized a Win 10 install and put the game on there. To my sheer amazement, the game ran in highest level detail because of VMware's DirectX support and their virtualized GPU. It could be worth a try, depending on how much effort you want to put into it. For me, I hate having high-end stuff and older code that won't work. Best of luck with it!

0 Likes

I found the solution. So simple, I feel terrible. For anyone else who has this error, please try what I did.

- reset all your graphics settings, the game actually started for me, I was so happy

- start the process of elimination, turn on what you normally have, the, start turning things off

-for me? Under Anti-Aliasing Mode, I always had it on Enhance Application Setting. Seems IL2 does not like that. Turn on Use Application Settings, game starts, I am happy again.

- I do hope this helps others, this was a huge issue for over a month!

0 Likes