cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jlogan
Journeyman III

Is there a processor that will support both windows 7 pro & windows 10 pro; in the same PC?

I am sick of windows 10 pro; a system built with families in mind, not small businesses.

I will be installing a windows 7 pro hard drive into my tower today; for a vacation from the stress of resetting everything after updates. I have been contemplating updating my processor for a while, as windows 10 seems to have no idea what to do with my quad-core processor, but cannot find info on which processors would be compatible with both. I really want the option of going back & forth now that Microsoft is offering windows 7 updates after the cutoff date; at a price, of course.

It still amazes me that windows 7 runs like a dream on a quad-core processor while windows 10 has no idea how to use it.

I would really appreciate some feedback cuz I'm stumped.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Windows 7 reaches end of life on January 1st, 2020, so installing it now is a very bad idea. As for official support for Windows 7, Microsoft blocks updates for AMD Ryzen and Intel Kaby Lake and newer processors on 7, and all support for Windows 7 motherboards comes from the motherboard manufacturer and varies between manufacturer and model, so, officially, you need to use hardware older than those.

0 Likes

@black_zion

Thank you for the info.

Since Windows 7 updates will be available via a paid subscription /monthly charges, I feel that it is worth it.

Being there are still more Windows users on Windows 7 than 10, it was a smart move on Microsoft's part.

As for the blocking of updates from AMD Ryzen [I haven't read up on Intel - don't use it] on Windows 7; 

can you share where you read that?

Being Windows 10 is cutting quad-core teeth on/for AMD Ryzen, it just seems odd that they would block the updates for Windows 7 users... although, it wouldn't really surprise me that much. 

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge 

Windows 10 version 1903 improves performance for AMD Ryzen processors • Pureinfotech 

0 Likes

Paid Windows 7 updates will only be offered to enterprise and education customers, not individuals. As for update blocking: Re: Microsoft blocks ALL Windows 7 & 8.1 updates for AMD Ryzen & Intel Kaby Lake Users

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

Sounds like the OP would be much happier with Win10x64 Enterprise:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise?ocid=tia-258262000 

Not built for families--built for business--rollouts and updates handled much differently.

0 Likes