cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dligac
Adept II

New Ryzen 3900x x570 random restarts, WHEA-logger error ID17, PCI Express Endpoint, no bsod, no log, no dump

3900x w x570 mobo is crashing, new build, random freeze but (way more frequently) restarts with no events in the evenviewer present before the crash happens. It just looks like someone pushed the restart button. I've read about the WHEA-Logger events in the eventviewer and intdeed it seems to be my 2080Ti is causing some issue with the PCI Express slot.
Whether or not this is the reason why my PC restarts is not definitive tho as I have literally no way of determining which component causes the crash. I have an 850W gold rated EVGA power supply so that should not be an issue. Also I was able to play metro exodus with all the fancy raytracing turned up all the way with no issues whatsoever. Then I just checked the windows app store and it suddenly restarted. I have no clue what to do about it. 

157 Replies
fredoz13
Adept I

I have the same problem , I have random restarts when i'm playing Black Desert Online or other games. My configuration is Ryzen  3900X, Msi x570 meg Ace with the lastest bios  , rtx2080 and 850w PSU.  I see the famous Whea-Logger in my eventviewer and also a critical error Kernel power id41 (63).  I have made some PSU test with OCCT during 2h and it works fine. So its nice since I have 3900X / X570 i can't play. What can I do ? Need help

What I'm going to try is use HWinfo logging ability to see what is going on shortly before it shuts down (assuming the file gets saved).

I hate to say this but I honestly did not expect this level of sloppiness from 500 euro processor and 200 euro board. I think this is unacceptable.

Just if its can help, I have solved the problem. I bought a new PSU (Seasonic ultra prime 850W platinium) and now everything run fine. If you have Kernel Power 41(63) error and computer crash without bsod, you can be sure the problem is the PSU.

Good luck!

This is not how PC works. Just because you have solved it by replacing a PSU doesn't mean everyone else "can be sure" it's related to a faulty PSU. I know for a fact now that my problems were caused by memory instability because if I run it on XMP downclocked to 2933mhz it runs just fine. And thanks to ryzen memory calculator I got it to work at advertised 3200mhz CL16. My PC don't seem to restart anymore on a newest bios AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB. The default XMP still doesn't work but timings from ryzen calculator seem to be working fine.  

Sorry I sound like a simpleton, but what is AGESA? I'm running my RAM according to the BIOS XMP profile, as per spec timings. The sticks are g.skill neo units, optimized for ryzen. As to PSU: I use a seasonic prime ultra titanium, 1000W. I sincerely doubt that would be the issue, since it ran fine on my previous build (i6700k on Asus z170 Deluxe. I would hate to think switching it to amd would suddenly cause it to malfunction). Side note: I did have to get new ram because my old ram, Corsair vengeance lpx 3200 was highly unstable, constant bsod. The new ones seem very stable at advertised speeds. 

0 Likes

dligac wrote:

This is not how PC works. Just because you have solved it by replacing a PSU doesn't mean everyone else "can be sure" it's related to a faulty PSU. I know for a fact now that my problems were caused by memory instability because if I run it on XMP downclocked to 2933mhz it runs just fine. And thanks to ryzen memory calculator I got it to work at advertised 3200mhz CL16. My PC don't seem to restart anymore on a newest bios AGESA 1.0.0.3ABB. The default XMP still doesn't work but timings from ryzen calculator seem to be working fine.  

In the great majority of cases, XMP seems to be working fine ROOB.  It has for me through three Ryzen motherboards--an MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, an MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon, and my current mboard, an x570 Aorus Master.  The same ram has worked perfectly in all three mboards @ 3200MHz by doing no more than setting XMP.  My hardware currently:

Windows10x64 v1903, build 18362.10005
19.8.1 Adrenalins
AMD 50th Anniversary 5700XT
Aorus Master x570 UEFI bios F5l (!003ABB)
Corsair HX-850 PSU (72a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X @ 3.8Ghz default clock, 4.4+GHz boost
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite PV416G320C6K @3200mhz 16 16 16 36 1T
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
ST2000DM SATA III 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
BenQ EW-3270U 4k, HDR monitor

0 Likes
conraire
Adept III

Have you tried setting the PCIe lane to PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0?  The only other thing I can think of, is similar to what I had to do for stability, would be to adjust cpu load line calibration setting up or down until it becomes stable.  Also make sure PBO and Auto OC are turned off/disabled. 

Yes when I first saw the whea logger I didn't even know about this whole problem and that was the first thing I did. However I have to say my restarts are very rare. They happen only once or twice a day and I can game hours on end sometimes. However it's still unsettling and still in the back of my mind I am waiting for it to hang and shutdown.

conraire wrote:

Have you tried setting the PCIe lane to PCIe 3.0 instead of 4.0?  The only other thing I can think of, is similar to what I had to do for stability, would be to adjust cpu load line calibration setting up or down until it becomes stable.  Also make sure PBO and Auto OC are turned off/disabled. 

All nVidia GPUs to date automatically set themselves to PCIe3.x as nVidia does not yet make a PCIe4 GPU--only PCIe4 peripherals can utilize the PCIe4 lanes fully.  I have an x570 Aorus Master and a 5700XT (50th Ann.) and have no Whea warnings, blue screens, reboots, etc.  Instead of trying to use "sleep" mode in a high-powered desktop system, I boot from my NVMe drive--I post in ~5 seconds, boot to Win10 desktop in 5-7 seconds--from cold boot to Windows desktop is ~10-12 seconds.  Works every time, no problems.  Sleep-hibernation otoh, causes problems in desktops traditionally-- so I turn it off in Windows, completely.  Of course, you can still have your monitor drop into standby mode every so often if no keyboard/mouse activity occurs, as this function does not require either sleep or hibernation. 

0 Likes
ultimatethor
Journeyman III

I have been having the same issue. Once every day or two my computer will randomly shut down and it requires a hard reset (flipping the psu switch) to be able to boot again. Also the way the Mobo boots seems like its almost like when recognizing new hardware as it posts twice. My temps are fine at all times and I'm at a loss for what this could be. My specs are below.

MOBO: X470 Asus Crosshair Hero VII 

CPU: Ryzen 3900x

CPU Cooler: Kracken X62

Ram: 32gb G.Skill RGB @3200htz 

GPU: Zotac 2080ti

NVME M.2: 512gb Intel 660

PSU: Corsair HX850i

I don't have quite the same problem, mine just restarted HOWEVER I did figure out my problem, and looking at your build it's worth a try. I see you have 32GB of 3200mhz memory is is dual channel or quad channel? I have 32GB of 3200mhz dual channel RAM and it just wouldn't want to run at that speed. However it seemed like no issues were occuring without XMP eituer on 2400mhz (different kit same specs) or 2133. I tried punching the timings clocks and voltages myself to no avail it restarted even faster. So I enabled XMP and underclocked to 3000mhz. It's been running all day long yesterday and today and seems stable. So maybe my issue wasn't whea-logger tho I still get the error in the event viewer sometimes. 

I got the same issue, it freezes for 3 secs then reboots TWICE per day at least randomly.   My entire PC is brand new, ALL new parts in it.  32 GB RAM, 850 PSU. 

0 Likes
ian_klein
Adept I

Hi, I'm also getting the same issue it just restarts randomly whether the pc is idle or in full load. I already tried a couple of things and managed to use the computer all day I thought I fixed it but it started restarting again, the screen just goes black(power is still on) and it restarts. 

I tried:

adding voltage 0.1 voltage to the cpu in bios and resetting it through ryzen master to get 1.3 voltage

setting PCI-E to 3.0

installed ryzen power plan and other drivers from the AMD and MSI website

I also tried to run a full load test on the CPU, GPU and RAM using Heavyload for 30 mins and it went fine

-- Also my PSU only has a single 8pin 12v rail and the board has 2 8pin connectors for the cpu but I think that is not an issue since I'm not overclocking anything.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

MOBO: MSI X570 Ace Meg

CPU: Ryzen 3900x - stock cooler

Ram: 32gb Corsair vengeance pro 3200

GPU: Galax GTX1070

PSU: Seasonic m2ii 620 modular

0 Likes

Your mobo is higher priced but similar vrm to my aorus elite (honestly anything x570 between 200-400 range is pretty much the same in terms of performance minus the features) and you have the same cpu and most importantly ram. I have the exact same kit (unless yours is quad channel 4x8gb) and what seems to help me is underclocking the ram to 3000mhz. As I come to understand, ryzen loves samsung b-die chips however corsair uses hynix chips. Other user reports he can't get the ram work at anything over 3000mhz unless it's a b-die chip. So try that and let us know if it helped.

0 Likes

I tried turning off XMP and it went with the default speed of 2133 - it seems to restart more frequently

then I tried so turn on XMP and set it to 3000mhz - it still restarts but not as frequent as when it was set to 2133(more like every 30 mins up to an hour or so)

I have set it back to 3200mhz now with XMP on. This was the same settings I used earlier and it didn't restart for the whole day. I'm still getting the same error as the above(WHEA-Logger ID 17 and Event 41, Kernel power). By the way, I have the same ram but I'm running 8gb X4, I also tried running 8gb X2 the same random restarts are occurring. I normally use my computer all day at work, are you not getting the issue with your current setup?

0 Likes

8gb dual channel should be the most stable. Do you have all the appropriate motherboard drivers? Lan drivers, sata drivers, ESPECIALLY latest bios etc. ? It seems as if ypur board doesn't play nice with the ram, my guess is you'd need to tweak the ram timings maybe. Have you tried just one stick? Have you tried setting the voltage on your ram manually? Try to do that maybe your board is undervolting on auto causing instability. 

For me it's been running 2 days and 2 nights straight with no restarts I keep playing games, watching videos, rendering images, since I'm on vacation trying to test is as thoroughly as possible.

0 Likes
dligac
Adept II

I'll just post my build here if anyone's interested:

CPU: Ryzen 9 - 3900x (using stock cooler)

GPU: GeForce RTX 2080Ti (Zotac TwinFan)

PSU: EVGA gold 80+ 850W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz CL16 2x16GB kit (currently stable at 3000mhz)

MBO: Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 

Not sure that it can help you, but I had some similar issues before installing the latest APU/Chipset drivers from Gigabyte: https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

I don't really understand why this fixed my issue but it worked for me.

0 Likes

@3po3po3po wrote:

Not sure that it can help you, but I had some similar issues before installing the latest APU/Chipset drivers from Gigabyte: https://www.gigabyte.com/fr/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

I don't really understand why this fixed my issue but it worked for me.

what issue u had before.
in Asus page ther s same Chip driver
(AMD Chipset Driver V2.09.28.509 for Windows 10 64-bit)
my problem is 
when i enable DOCP i get random restart 5-6 times in 10 minutes. just low load.

0 Likes
abrown1983
Adept I

I am having the same problems.  Whea errors, random restarts, and at least 2 blue screens.  Weird thing is, the restarts usually happen after hand braking a movie to a different format, not while it is hand braking.  One blue screen while I was browsing the web and one while the computer was sitting idle.  Whea errors for video card and wireless nic, havent seen any for my nvme drive yet but I didnt look them all up.

ROG Strix X570-E

Ryzen 3900x - stock cooler

EVGA 1080ti FE

750w Corsair psu (if  I remember correctly)

4x8gb Ripjaw 2400 cl 15 (plan on upgrading)

Corsair mp510 1tb nvme drive

Most overclocking I attempted was enabling xmp so the memory ran at 2400.  Disabled to see if that stopped the restarts but it did not.  Bios is up to date and AMD chipset driver is installed.  Will also mention my h110i gtx was not capable of keeping this processor under 90 degrees under a load.

not under 90c.. you could be hitting thermal limit

0 Likes

If you have geardown enabled memory cl timings can only be even numbers. Check that your bios doesn't round it down to cl 14, it should only round up. I had similar issue, my memory is CL19 but it defaults to cl20 if i tried to manually set it to cl19 and turn off geardown mode pc would not even boot. CL18 worked but id get bsod's every once i a while. so i stuck with CL20 and just oc'ed mem bus and infinity fabric by another 33mzh to counterbalance slower CL timings.

0 Likes

the same ,continuous whea errors

0 Likes
peandreo
Journeyman III

I had the same problem only 3 times, with the error WHEA-logger error ID 17, pci express and is not a thing happens only if you do a certain thing, i had a blue screen of that error playing, another one i was on net in youtube and the last one i was shutding down the computer.

No overclock, temperature of cpu not more than 74ºc playing and in idle 46/56 ºc.

Asus Prime-Pro x570

Strix-1060 6GB Nvidia

650W corsair psu

16 GB  2x8 GB GSKILL

2 SSD

0 Likes

Have you tried changing your power plan setting?  Set it to ryzen balanced or high performance and maybe changing min processor state, increasing like 10%?

You might be running into some kind of issue where the processor goes into its downclock and its crashing..  seems like I've read people having this issue..

0 Likes
crazyman64335
Journeyman III

Created an account because i'm having this exact same issue, i've had this error everyday (Kernel Power 41) for the last week and i'm really frustrated by the lack of acknowledgment from AMD / motherboard companies, hopefully it gets fixed soon

Specs

Ryzen 3700x (Stock)

Corsair H115i Platinum

Crosshair VIII Hero x570

Asus Strix 2080

G Skill Trident Z RGB 3200 16gb

EVGA Supernova Platinum 850W PSU

0 Likes
ian_klein
Adept I

Update:

Rebooting issue and WHEA-logger error and Kernel power 41 - Resolved by installing the latest bios

With the latest bios the voltage hits 1.45-1.5 with stock settings and the idle temps are a bit high, I have offset to 0.1 in bios.

Now everything runs smooth, I'm running 3900x @4ghz and I have set my ram back to 3200mhz as well.

Thanks for all your suggestions 

Hey I have been using the MEG Ace and have been having this same exact issue. Did you update from 1.0.0.3a to 1.0.0.3ab bios? I am trying everything at this point.

0 Likes

I updated to 1.0.0.3ab. My board initially came with bios ver E7C35AMS.100 build date 05/30/2019

I also installed the latest chipset driver here(check which driver are already installed first and only select if it shows a newer version):

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2019/07/30/community-update-5-let-s-talk-clocks-volt...

0 Likes

Be sure that you have the newest chipset driver installed and the newest version of Ryzen Master.  If you are using Nvidia be sure you have the newest graphics driver installed.  I haven't had near the issues once I updated the chipset driver and Ryzen master.  I did just install the new bios for my board which was released on the 15th I think which is agesa 1.0.0.3 abb I think.  It is an Asus strix x570-e.  I also ran my memory without xmp to make sure that wasnt causing any problems.  I now have xmp enabled without issues.

0 Likes

I have the exact the same problem. Random restarts without BOSD and Kernel 41 errors in Event Viewer.

My new built is: 

Board: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Formula (Latest Bios update 1105)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X (I 'm waiting for Ryzen 9 3950X)

Cooling: Stock Fan (For Ryzen 9, I 'll be using Thermaltake 360, Water 3.0)

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3200Mhz CL16 8GB x 4

GFX: Asus Rog Strix 2080 TI

PSU: Termaltake Tough Power Platinum  1200 Watt

SSD: M.2 Samsung Evo 970 NVMe 1TB x 2

HDD: 3 TB W.D. Nas

I 've done all of the suggestions across different threads. Turned of Fastboot, didn't use XMP or used in both cases, turned of PBO... But still no luck. It is fine while I 'm playing a game, well mostly. But when I left the PC idle, (or simply watching youtube, it restarts...) I 've even remove the whole ram kits left 2 of them, changed the PCI express lane of GPU, disconnected the front panel, checked pins on the motherboard. Updated chipset drivers from the AMD offical web site, updated latest drivers for others, Not using any utility programs of motherboard, using the latest update of Windows 10 (May 2019). But no luck... 

When I download a game on Steam, it usually holds like 48 hours without restarting. But not other cases. Sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes after 2 hours. 

Can you tell me what is the 0.1 offset stands for? Which value should be setted in bios? I 've no experience in overlock. I 'm more of a guy that use your things as long as possible. So I could use some information about it to fix this annoying issue. 

0 Likes
kagemaru
Journeyman III

Similar issue here. PC just randomly turns off since upgrading motherboard/cpu/ram, literally like someone pressed the power button on the case. No errors in the error log except the aforementioned WHEA-logger issues from my 1080TI, it also turns on again perfectly fine like nothing ever happened. There's no rhyme or reason to when the shutdowns happen really, I can be running an intensive game and then alt tab to check a chat message or something and it'll just shutdown then while I'm alt-tabbed instead of while gaming...

Under normal circumstances I would have thought it was the PSU, but considering the PSU isn't that new(or old, I bought it late last year) and it should be a decent make I don't see how it would randomly fail now.

The fact that some people have solved it through a BIOS update gives me a small bit of hope... My BIOS is up to date atm, but it doesn't seem like the latest one from Gigabyte fixed the WHEA-logger errors.

Specs -

Ryzen 3700X (Stock)

Aorus Pro X570

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

Nvidia 1080TI

EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold

Edit: Oh and I forgot to say, I had the temperatures up when all of these happened.There was nothing out of the ordinary. They were well within normal limits.

Edit 2: I think I managed to solve this at some point, though not entirely sure how. Was either a cable that was very very slightly loose, or multiple sensor programs conflicting with each other.

0 Likes
abrown1983
Adept I

Just an update.  I pinned most of my restarts to when the computer was going into sleep mode.  I disabled letting it go to sleep in the power plan and I haven't noticed any restarts since.  I have had two blue screen since then.  Once when I was looking at temps in Ryzen Master and once messing with the xbox game bar.  I am not sure if Nvidia is still working on a fix for their drivers or not.  From what I had read, they found an issue that was causing blue screens.  I have updated to the latest chipset driver 1.07.29.0115 and the latest version of Ryzen Master.  I am also currently running the newest Nvidia drivers 431.60.  As far as I know AMD is still working on a new Agesa version to fix some issues but I still haven't seen a bios update for my strix-x570-e.

0 Likes
fredoz13
Adept I

Just if its can help, I have solved the problem. I bought a new PSU (Seasonic ultra prime 850W platinium) and now everything run fine. If you have Kernel Power 41(63) error and computer crash without bsod, you can be sure the problem is the PSU.

Good luck!

0 Likes

fredoz13 wrote:

Good luck!

People really need to check the amperage readings printed on their PSU's for the 12v rail.  IMO, the more amps the better--plus, PSUs that have single-rail options work best when configured to a single 12v rail.  And of course "modular" beats non-modular every time.  Consider 62 amps on the 12v rail an absolute minimum--this usually works out to a 750W PSU, but you absolutely cannot take that for granted, because el cheapo PSU's may claim "750W" but when tested,  the 12v rail amps on some of them hardly deliver 40 amps--definitely not enough for a Ryzen 3K cpu and a 5700XT or especially a 2080ti! 

0 Likes
derridada
Adept II

Hi,

Just commenting to say I have the same issue.

Using the 3900X on the Asus Rog Crosshair viii hero (wi-fi): it shuts down randomly, and then just reboots. No error codes – seems as if it hit the 95 C max and reboots for safety, but there’s no way to tell.

My PSU should not be a problem, since it’s not even a year old, a Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W 80 Plus Titanium. It runs fine when plugged into an older i7-6700k test system.

I’m running the latest chipset driver plus BIOS, and BIOS is stock. I notice my voltages are +1.4 even in idle and just 1-3% CPU load. There’s no reason boost should be this aggressive since it happens in windows balanced / Rizen balanced power plans. Plus: it's all using the latest chipset driver, BIOS, firmware etc

Specs:

R9 3900X + Asus Rog Crosshair viii hero (wi-fi)

RAM: 4 x G.Skill 3600C16-8GTZNC (Neo) DDR4-3600

Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W 80 Plus Titanium

OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 2 TB

Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-U12S, with 2 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM fans

Windows 10 Pro, version 1903

I’m a bit paranoid now about higher CPU loads, just in case things shut down.

0 Likes

Update: the issue is still there. Under load playing, the cpu temps get very high. At a certain point, the system blackscreens and reboots, apparently because it’s going over 95 C.

This is on balanced power, both the ryzen and windows plan.

0 Likes
yany
Adept I

Exactly the same issue. I have restarts in 15 minutes.

No error screen, nothing but restart randomly.

Config:

MB: MSI MEG X570 Ace with BIOS v1.44

CPU: 3900X

RAM: 2x16 GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 3600 CL17 (already in the mobo QVL)

VGA: Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+ 8GB

PSU: Enermax Platimax 1700W

Cooler: NH D15, my CPU is always below 63°C even with high load.

Drivers: all driver is the latest to date (chipset, vga, etc.)

In the BIOS, everything is on Auto, RAM is using XMP profile. This sets up the ram using CL18 and CMD 1T. If I disable Gear Down mode, it switches down to CL17 and 2T, but the issuue is the same.

All temperatures seem to be absolutely normal (chipset, cpu, ram, etc).

I don't use any RGB lighting, but standard Noctua fans to cool the case.

0 Likes

Sadly I found this issue to be directly caused by my x570 MEG Ace motherboard. I returned my motherboard and replaced it with a Gigabyte Master. 0 issues. It is either really bad bios, bad hardware, or EXTREMELY bad memory compatibility (I sometimes restarted at default 2133 timings). MSI really dropped the ball this gen and I will never be buying from them again.

0 Likes