carclis

Radeon VII Memory Clocks Stuck at Slow Speeds

Discussion created by carclis on Jun 17, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 30, 2019 by kirurus

Hi,

I've been finding lately that sometimes when I play games that the HBM2 clocks will be stuck at 350Mhz with the occasional jump up to 800Mhz. This results in significantly reduced performance (20%+). I've found this only seems to happen after I've had Firefox or Discord open for a while (say 20-30 minutes) but I haven't worked out which one it is linked to. Accompanying this behaviour I have noticed that the UVD clocks in GPU-Z seem to be locked at some value above the 33Mhz idle so essentially the card thinks it is at load when it isn't. Only workaround I have found to this issue is a system restart (No I didn't leave my browser windows open). I've attached GPU-Z screens which show the normal and strange behaviour I am seeing.

Update: So it would seem that using Google Chrome fixes the issue. Still not sure if this is a driver bug or Firefox being dumb but this seems to be a workaround for now.

System is:
Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z 3333Mhz
Radeon VII
Samsung 950 Pro 500GB
Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
Samsung 840 Evo 500GB
WD Black 2TB
HGST Deskstar 6TB
WD Red 10TB
Corsair AX1600i

With the latest build of Windows, checked today.

Outcomes