Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin, 33.3% performance loss between 16.9.2 and 19.4.3

Hi everyone,

Here are my specs,

Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (up to date)

16GB (8x2) HyperX Fury DDR3 1866Mhz RAM

AMD FX 8350 stock clocks

MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G (19.4.3)

MSI 990FXA Motherboard (latest BIOS)

So I have noticed a 33.3% drop in performance in a few areas of Hitman 2 Silent Assassin. I have noticed it throughout the game so far, but will attach screenshots of a area affected in the fourth mission "Kirov Park Meeting" where I stand on the right side of the Church facing the area where the two generals meet.

In driver 16.9.2 I have a constant 64FPS (limited with Riva Tuner) and in driver 19.4.3 I have a constant 38-40FPS (limited to 64FPS with Riva Tuner since no in-game frame-limiting present with Radeon RX 480, but possibly triple buffering). Furthermore it might be related to the same issue as Unreal Tournament 3, so maybe it will improve with the new fix for Unreal Tournament 3.

Here are the screenshots,

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes
9 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Thank you for reporting it. Yes, it might be related to the FPS drop issue reported here: Radeon RX 480 driver performance issues and bugs, OpenGL, Vulkan, DirectX, Mantle . Anyway, I've shared the above observation with the concerned team.

Thanks.

Hi dipak

Thank you I appreciate your efforts!

It is not my intention to cause a disturbance, but I am experiencing underutilization with my RX 480 in a lot of games, especially pre- Directx 11 games, but also in a few DX11 games and in these cases it really does not seem like a hardware bottleneck since I have also tested numerous of these games with my i5 8400 which has no shortage in single-threaded performance.

I am trying to make posts with the described issues, but I can not get to posting all of them, since there is almost too much, thus I feel like some tests/benchmarks is being overlooked by the driver team to push new games and features at the expense of consistency and playability in older popular titles.

Just recently I purchased Borderlands 2 which is also unplayable with my RX 480 50% of the time, again due to underutilizarion of the card, possibly also due to drivers.

I really hope there will be some fixes soon, and that the driver team can manage to refresh their drivers to some extent, because the fan base doesn't just care about post 2016 games.

OpenGl also deserves some care and attention with the Radeon Overlay, FRTC and Chill. I understand that there are time constraints, but I also find Wolfenstein The New Order and Wolfenstein The Old Blood (OpenGl games) unplayable on my RX 480 due to underutilization of the card, 50% of the game runs between 40-50FPS with my experience on Radeon cards with low utilization which is not necesarrily the case with a nvidia card in the same system.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I really appreciate your efforts for posting all the detailed observations that you have shared till now.

I do understand your situation and what you are trying to point out. I will pass your feedback on to the driver team so that appropriate measures can be taken to improve the driver quality.

Thank you once again for your patience and efforts.

Hi dipak

Thank you, I do appreciate all your help!

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Update:

The concerned team was able to reproduce the performance drop issue for Hitman 2 Silent Assassin. They are now investigating the issue. Once I get any further update about it, I'll share with you.

Thanks.

Great work dipak‌!

Thank you!

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Please note that both of these screenshots were taken at the exacts same in-game settings as well *.ini settings, which is high settings at 1920x1080 resolution. In addition, this is Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (a 2002 game) not the new Hitman 2 (2019 game).

As seen in the screenshots, 16.9.2 gives 17% GPU utilization for 64FPS and 19.4.3 gives only 10% GPU utilization for a mere 38-40FPS. The only changing factor is the driver.

Kind regards

Jacques

0 Likes

Thank you for the clarification and sharing these additional information.

Thanks.

hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi dipak‌, dorisyan‌, amdmatt

I would just like to know if any improvements has been found on this driver issue, because I have made new findings in the meantime where my Nvidia GT 710 in this exact system of mine performs twice as good as Radeon RX 480 drivers even at double the resolution.

Herewith I am attaching screenshots,

Nvidia GT 710 @ 1920x1080:

hitman_2_silent_assassin_nvidia_gt_710_1080p.png

AMD RX 480 @ 1280x720

hitman_2_silent_assassin_amd_rx_480_720p.png

Please have a look guys

Jacques

0 Likes