Hi everyone, my name is Jacques
I was supposed to post in "OpenGL & Vulkan" as suggested by developer xhuang, but since I am a newcomer I am only allowed to post here.
I am having performance and bug issues in certain games which mostly seems to be driver related to my RX 480 and a lot of other RX 400 and 500 Graphics cards when I read through the forums.
My current system configuration:
Windows 10 64-bit
MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G
MSI 990FXA Gaming Motherboard
2x 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz HyperX Fury RAM
FX 8350 processor at stock clockspeeds and motherboard settings.
One DirectX9 game that definitely degraded in performance since Crimson 16.9.2 is Unreal Tournament 3 Black Edition:
* I can confirm a constant 62FPS+ on driver version 16.9.2 on most maps, but
* Since approximately Crimson 17.7.1 or 17.7.2 up until the current 18.10.2 drivers performance has degraded dramatically in this game for my card and can easily be observed in the following scenarios,
> Frame rate fluctuates between ~30FPS-62FPS (when framerate smoothing is enabled in-game) on almost all of the maps, but is more apparent some of the following maps:
> In capture the Flag on Facing worlds the higher up the castle you get, the lower the FPS, GPU Usage gets; in addition, when flying away in spectator mode and looking towards the map FPS
falls down to 30FPS, but in Driver 16.9.2 it stays at 60FPS consistently.
> In warfare on Market place when looking at the center-node from the enemies base FPS also drops down to 30-40FPS with low GPU usage.
> It is important to note that this problems was not apparent in 16.9.2 and that not of the CPU cores max out when this low GPU usage scenarios occur.
Another DirectX9 game that seems to be affected by newer Drivers is Stalker Call Of Prypyap, although the game supports DirectX 11 features, I think the game is natively DirectX9.
To name games that seem to always have performance issues with any of the drivers and this setup even though CPU usage doesn't max out on any of the eight cores are,
* Far Cry 3 (30-40FPS in hometown, but the GPU usage issue was eliminated in this game when paired with the i5 8400. In addition, the performance is related to Water Quality setting)
* The Elder Scrolls of Skyrim
* Just Cause 3 (FPS fluctuates between 30-60)
* Call of Duty WWII
* Crysis 1
* Crysis 2
* Crysis 3 (the GPU usage issue is still persistent in this game when paired with the i5 8400)
* Arma 3
* Hitman 2016 (improves a little when switching to DirectX12, but introduces a lot of stuttering)
* Wolfenstein The New Order
* Wolfenstein The Old Blood
* Sniper Elite 3 doesn't render textures and graphical effects properly when the Mantle executable is used.
Rage developed by ID Software:
> This game performs quite well, but does not render character and vehicle shadows properly when paired with an AMD card, even though it does with intel onboard graphics and nvidia graphics.
Wolfenstein The New Order and Wolfenstein The Old Blood:
> In these two games I believe their are definitely OpenGL driver issues, since not a single CPU core is nearly maxed out at any time, but there are numerous areas where frame rate fluctuates between 30-60FPS while GPU usage is low in these areas.
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus:
> This game performs exceptionally well, but recently there exists an unplayable graphics issue, where the water in the submarine shines so bright it lights up the whole room and you can't see anything but white light in the room.
To conclude, in the majority of the cases with the games listed above, the problem is low GPU utilization in areas where the CPU is not showing bottlenecking on any of the eight cores.
Hope this can get to the driver team.