cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Discussions

timewalker
Adept I

Ryzen 3 2300X/2500X use TIM, or it's soldered?

Whether second generation Ryzen Zen+ CPU's(Pinnacle Ridge) - Ryzen 3 2300X/2500X use TIM, or it's soldered to IHS? I plan to make a purchase а 2300X, and use it with Asus X370-Pro/X470 Pro motherboard, but not seen this CPU in the CPU Support list…although it should be supported by this chipset?

0 Likes
7 Replies

According to this review, AMD has decided to use IHS Soldered rather than use TIM on all Ryzen 2xxx Processors: AMD Confirms 12nm Ryzen 2 CPUs Will Feature Soldered IHS For Better Cooling 

ajlueke
Grandmaster

As far as I was aware the 2300X and 2500X were OEM only.  I don't think you'll be able to just buy these models off the shelf.

You are correct. Those particular Processors are OEM only.

Here is a review that states what you mentioned: AMD Ryzen 5 2500X and Ryzen 3 2300X Conclusion - The AMD Ryzen 5 2500X and Ryzen 3 2300X CPU Review 

timewalker
Adept I

Here in Bulgaria, the 2300X CPU is available and can be bought for $ 95.46 USD / € 84.35 Euros, so I buyed one unit and paired it with Asus X370-Pro motherboard and 2x16GB, DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz(CMK16GX4M1B3000C15 ver. 5.39). Mobo comes with BIOS ver. 4406, its accepted the 2300X's and 2x16 GB RAM(only 2666 MHz maximum). I update the BIOS to ver. 4602.

Now the problem is that, the memory refused to run on 2933 MHz. I achieved to reach 2666 MHz with 14-17-17-35 CR1 timings stable, but anything above 2666 Mhz, gives me black post screen or black post screen with three beeps. I tried this tips with no success:

- set D.O.C.P. to 2933/3000 MHz

- manually set the speed to 2933/3000 MHz, without D.O.C.P.
- loosen the RAM timings
- swap memory slots
- run with one stick(16 GB)
- raised the SOC voltage to 1.15 / 1.20 V
- raised the DIMM voltage to 1.35 V

- tried once the "DRAM Calculator for Ryzen" ver 1.4.1(but maybe I put wrong timings/values)

Ryzen 3 2300X.jpg

0 Likes

I went to Asus Support site for your motherboard. Under CPU Compatibility your Ryzen 3 2300X is not even listed: PRIME X370-PRO CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

So it is a good bet, there might be some incompatibilities with your CPU and RAM Memory since there isn't a specific BIOS version for your Processor for your motherboard.

Plus your RAM Memory is not quite listed in the QVL List of your motherboard although it is very close: PRIME X370-PRO Memory / Device Support | Motherboards | ASUS USA 

It seems the Maximum speed for that RAM is 2933 Mhz.

timewalker
Adept I

Yes, Mr. elstaci, you're right. Before buy the mobo, I had read carefully CPU/Memory support list, and I was wondering why Asus didn't list that CPU(2300X) in X370-Pro, when MSI, Gigabyte, Asrock support that CPU in their X370 / X470 chipset line. I had read this, and made decision to buy X370-Pro, but... this time I was disappointed from Asus. I don't know where the problem lie - bad SPD table, the memory chip vendor(Samsung, Hynix, Micron), the CPU Memory Controller, X370 chipset limitation...I'm still not frustrated, but I'll try again with Ryzen Dram Calculator.

I would suggest Open either an Online Asus Chat in Support or open an Online Support Ticket with Asus. That article does state that Asus motherboard supports those OEM AMD Processors.

Yet as you see, it is not mentioned under Asus Compatible CPUs.  That might be because those two Processors are considered to be OEM. I would contact Asus Support and find out if they have a special BIOS versions for those two processors for your motherboard or the current BIOS versions are good enough or compatible.

You can't go by what other Motherboard manufacturers does with those processors. Each Motherboard Manufacturers engineers their motherboards according to their own personal specs concerning the type of processors that can be installed or be compatible.

EDIT: I looked at most of Asus X370 & X470 motherboards. none lists those two OEM Processors in their compatible CPU lists. Yet, as you stated, at least MSI and ASRock X370 does list those OEM CPUs in their compatible CPU Lists.