shandyvali

AMD Global Wattman/ RX 590 freeze & crash

Discussion created by shandyvali on Mar 2, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 21, 2019 by anarky

Okay, so I posted as comments in a few other forums saying how my PC would freeze and crash, due to the GPU shutting down; I would then have to hold down the power button to do a hard shut down and reboot. This usually happened during gameplay - more so with GPU intensive games - but it also happened during regular PC use (browsing web, YouTube, working, etc.). It also happened twice as soon as I booted up my PC for the first time that day. Perusing through forums, it seemed as the issue was Global Wattman itself being super buggy. I uninstalled and reinstalled the AMD software resulting in a driver update (which some also suggested doing) and said I would update as that seemed to fix the issue. 

It has not fixed the issue ENTIRELY. It has gotten better though. Instead of my GPU auto-shutting down, the PC jst freezes like any normal freeze, goes to a black screen (as if the monitors are on, but the PC isn't), and then comes back up. Usually, if I'm on a game, it most definitely crashes, and maybe a few other apps, but for the most part everything comes back after this freeze. I'm getting a few more fans hoping that increasing airflow in my case will also help, but I'm not 100% sure it will (I need to get them anyway though, because of how hot this GPU runs anyways).

SPECS: Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3 RAM: T-Force Vulcan 16 GB DDR4 2400 GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 590

I'm hoping further driver updates will help this issue. But if anyone has any further ideas, please send them along. 

Outcomes