Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

rabidbeta
Adept I

Apex Legends Is Crashing To The Desktop

Hiya all!

The reason I'm here, is that word round the campfire is the driver 19.2.1 for my R9 280x is suppose to optimize APEX LEGENDS, the new incredible BR everyone is doting on. Apparently, if you search for AMD drivers that work with Apex Legends, AMD released the 19.2.1 for the very purpose of optimization between card and game. 

And to be clear, the game runs great on my potato rig...that's a non-issue...

The issue is that 1 out of 5 matches crashes. Always mid-game at random times. And it's harshing my vibe. This happened with 19.2.1 and the previous version (whatever that was). 

19.2.2 is an optional driver as of now...should I try that? EDIT: I tried this .2.2 and it crashes also.

My specs:

Win 10 64bit

ASrock MB

i5 3570

AMD Radeon R9 280x (driver 19.2.1)

16gb DDR3

Please help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope. This game is the best BR to date...why is it the only one that crashes?

Thank you in advance. 

85 Replies
mathecat
Journeyman III

Got exact same issue with R9 280. It crashes whatever my drivers are. Hope they fix their game soon.

0 Likes

Yes load 19.2.2 and do a clean install with the internet disconnected when you do.

Can you please be way more specific than crashes. What happens exactly? Exits out to desktop. Whole computer locks. Momentary screen black but still here audio etc. 

Have you set you power limit slider in Radeon Settings to it's maximum? This often helps fix game crashing.

I've been giving Apex a chance but find it extremely boring. 

0 Likes

You find Apex extremely boring? Dude...what do you need in life to excite you? Apex is a perfectly paced BR with excellent gunplay, gameplay, and mechanics. If this kind of game bores you, I'd seek professional guidance.

I'll try the power slider thing.

I'll also re-install the game. Not sure what the unplug the internet thing is about...can I even do that with an Origin game?

The game will crash mid-game by freezing the game for 5 seconds or so...then it crashes to desktop. 

I don't like games that take a ton of time to load then gather your gear and then you get shot your done. Counter strike does this right IMHO. I prefer games like Battlfield, Killing Floor, Rainbow 6 Seige, Halo, Destiny 2, Titanfall 2. I love great single player campaigns like Tomb Raider, BioShock or Metro for instance. We all have our personal preferences that is why different game types exist. I have played most of the BR type games, and so far I don't find this game to bring anything new or better. Seems more drawn out for not much time actually playing the game. I get the Battle Royal is popular, but it's probably my least favorite game type. Again it's just my opinion. Not sure I need guidance because I don't like the types of games you do.

0 Likes
flowem
Journeyman III

Same here...

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for the post. 

If anyone is experiencing crashing on Apex, please provide the following information.

GPU: Eg Radeon VII

Driver: Eg 19.2.2

Reprouction Steps: Eg How to reproduce the crash (please be specific)

Video Settings Used: Please provide details of the imega quality settings used

Symptoms: Display will, at first, freeze, then both displays flash black, displays then both say "no signal", then recover, but then go black again, and say no signal. System becomes unresponsive, restart via power button necessary.

Edit: After building a new system with a Ryzen 2600 and my Radeon VII, only components the same between the two builds are the GPU and PSU, experiencing the same issue, but if I leave the computer alone on the black screen for about a minute, my system will start responding again. This is happening on both Apex Legends and The Division 2. If I don't use the "reset display driver" shortcut in windows (win+ctrl+shift+B) after I recover from the initial black screen, my system will repeatedly black screen.

Edit 2: New system running 19.3.2

GPU: Reference Radeon VII
Drive : 19.2.2
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763.316 (Win10 RS5)
Displays: 2 1080p@120hz displays via Display Port
Reproduction Steps: Play Apex, happens at random, sometimes not at all for hours, sometimes multiple times in an hour. Tried multiple Wattman settings, default, auto undervolt, manual undervolt. Happens on all. Junction temp never climbs above 100C

Video Settings Used: (Max)

"VideoConfig"
{
"setting.cl_gib_allow" "1"
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_base" "0"
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_multiplier" "1"
"setting.cl_ragdoll_maxcount" "8"
"setting.cl_ragdoll_self_collision" "1"
"setting.mat_depthfeather_enable" "1"
"setting.mat_forceaniso" "16"
"setting.mat_mip_linear" "1"
"setting.stream_memory" "4592762"
"setting.mat_picmip" "0"
"setting.particle_cpu_level" "2"
"setting.r_createmodeldecals" "1"
"setting.r_decals" "256"
"setting.r_lod_switch_scale" "1"
"setting.shadow_enable" "1"
"setting.shadow_depth_dimen_min" "512"
"setting.shadow_depth_upres_factor_max" "2"
"setting.shadow_maxdynamic" "4"
"setting.ssao_enabled" "1"
"setting.ssao_downsample" "0"
"setting.modeldecals_forceAllowed" "1"
"setting.dvs_enable" "0"
"setting.dvs_gpuframetime_min" "15000"
"setting.dvs_gpuframetime_max" "16500"
"setting.defaultres" "1920"
"setting.defaultresheight" "1080"
"setting.fullscreen" "0"
"setting.nowindowborder" "1"
"setting.volumetric_lighting" "1"
"setting.mat_vsync_mode" "0"
"setting.mat_backbuffer_count" "1"
"setting.mat_antialias_mode" "12"
"setting.csm_enabled" "1"
"setting.csm_coverage" "2"
"setting.csm_cascade_res" "1024"
"setting.fadeDistScale" "1.000000"
"setting.dvs_supersample_enable" "0"
"setting.gamma" "1.000000"
"setting.configversion" "7"
}

Display freeze 2 sec and crashes without errors. 2 out of 3 matches crashes.

GPU: RX 470
Drive : 19.2.1, 19.2.2

Reproduction Steps: Play Apex, happens at random at the beginning or middle of the match

Video Settings Used: high (1080p)

0 Likes

IMHO the best way to get the Windows build is via running the 'winver' command (don't think it needs admin)

Game will cause a hard crash/display freeze. The last freeze showed geometry irregularities (polygons sticking out of her face) in the model of a Wraith character's face when I shot her. Reset required to recover.

GPU: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB

Monitor: Nixeus NX-VUE24 via DisplayPort @144Hz, Freesync disabled

Driver: 19.2.2

Reproduction Steps: Just play the game for a while and it will happen.

Video Settings Used: Freesync disabled in Radeon Settings, texture filtering on Performance, +50% power limit, clocks and voltages auto/default,  all in-game settings on lowest except textures set to 3/4GB. V-sync off. Origin in-game enabled, disabled shows no difference. Framerate uncapped through config file. Advanced launch options: +exec autoexec -forcenovsync -fullscreen

autoexec.cfg:

fps_max 0

try the 19.2.3 driver. There are reports of WOW for instance being fixed now and it  wasn't in the release notes as fixed. maybe you will get lucky! report back if you do. 

0 Likes

No luck with the 19.2.3 driver, same thing is still happening. Going to try and downgrade to 18.X.X driver to see if I'll have any luck.

Been having this issue recently after I bought a Vega 64.

Replaced my GTX 970 with an Asus Strix Vega 64. When I was using the 970, the game only crashed the first week of release. The crash goes back to desktop without any "send error report" thingy appearing like it's a normal thing.

GPU: Asus Strix Vega 64
Driver: 19.2.3
Reproduction steps: Game closes/crashes after plane drop, mid game and top 2 situations. Tried undervolting to 1100 and 1150mV, underclocking, adjusting game settings lower than my settings with the GTX 970 even, (pretty weird but) looked up to the sky while dropping to reduce GPU stress if that makes sense.
Video settings: Almost everything on High except for the shadows and in 4GB settings

0 Likes

GPU: XFX RX 580 Black Edition

Monitor: MSI MAG24C 144hz, 2nd; LG 25UM58p (Oc'd to 75HZ via CRU)

Driver: 19.1-19.2.3 

Game Version: started happening after the first weekly update ()

Reproduction Steps:

My Launch Options:

• -novid (Skipping the splash screen in the start)
  • -forcenovsync (completely disabling VSYNC)
  • -refresh 144 -freq 144 (to make sure my game is running at optimal refresh rate)
  • +cl_showfps 4 (to render my ingame FPS)
  • +fps_max 100 (further elaborated later)

Settings: 

All settings on the lowest available, textures on low (to reduce GPU usage, will elaborate)

Limiting the FPS and thereby lowering GPU Usage has been somewhat of a temporary fix for me, the game still crashes most of the time when I'm jumpmaster, if I just look up at the sky or directly down while flying (reducing GPU usage), I don't get crashes.

Problem is that i've had some days crash-free for hours with a 120 FPS limit in the launch options, some days although (like today for exampe) I get crashes every single game with a 100 FPS limit.

"Then why exactly is that a Problem if you can play the game crash-free?"; 

I recently got myself a 144hz Monitor and I have found playing at high refresh rate to be a really big advantage and in general just a really awesome experience; if I leave my FPS on unlimited I am easily able to sustain 120 FPS most of the time and over a 150 in close range encounters, playing at a 90 FPS limit does not even get close to the feeling of a silky smooth 144hz.

Also before I got this monitor I had a an LG ultrawide monitor; the increased resolution and higher Field of view (1920x1080 vs 2560x1080 on ultrawide) obviously results in higher GPU stress, which is why I had to limit my fps to an even lower 80 FPS, to avoid crashing every game, further complimenting that this problem is indeed related to usage.

Other things I have tried;

• resetting the video settings via the ingame button; actually let me stay crash free for some time, with FPS dipping down into the 50s, sometimes 40s and Triple buffered VSYNC on; not a solution to the problem I have / what I want to achieve, could be a solution to some though.
  • reinstalled windows, reinstalled all drivers (Downloaded fresh ISO, fresh drivers, played with only Apex and Discord installed, Discord and Origin overlays disabled)
  • tried leaving all drivers except GPU at stock, updating them later
  • turned off all overlays (Discord, Origin, AMD Settings)
  • running Apex as administrator, Disabling fullscreen optimizations, running in Compatibility mode (Windows 7, 8)
  • uninstalled other Programs like e.g. Razer Synapse
  • using the Adaptive resolution feature ingame, setting it to my fps limit (e.g. 100FPS); this does further reduce crashing, doesn't eliminate it (Crashing every few games usually)

Overclocking:

My GPU is mostly running at either stock clock speeds (1405Mhz core, 2000Mhz VRAM) or the OC+ (Factory tested Overclocking values, provided by XFX), meaning 1425Mhz on the core and 2025 on the VRAM. Adjusting the powerlimit (I have tried -10% to +20%) did not seem to help a lot, although my card doesn't really go above 1395Mhz on core with the stock Powerlimit, so having it reach 1425Mhz consistently does reduce crashing by providing more headroom before hitting 100% usage, doesn't even get close to eliminating it though. Note that these settings have not caused my GPU to crash any game yet; they're factory tested so that's what they should do eitherway. Temps stay below 80°C while playing, when leaving furmark run for a few minutes the card reaches up to 83°C.

I've seen very few people over on reddit and on the EA-Forums talking about the fix I used and it has definitely helped most of the people having issues with amd cards.

I have yet to see anyone encounter this exact problem with an Nvidia cards (They still get crashes, usually with error messages though), link me if you find anything on that.

TL;DR:

At least for me, the issue is related to GPU Usage hitting 100% for an extended period (Dropping in the start or getting respawned and jumping from the ship can be enough), this can be fixed by limiting the FPS.

DXDIAG if it helps;

https://pastebin.com/i8XxKfQ6

0 Likes

I have this same card. At 100% they throttle like crazy. I use a custom fan curve which helps this a lot and makes my card very stable. Most RX 580 and 480s benefit from maximum power limit too. You should set it to it's maximum of 50 and leave it there. It uses the power dynamically so raising it doesn't mean it's always using it, only that it's available when it needs it. On your card yes 1425 what XFX says it will do OC'd as a guarantee. Mine does even better but as I said throttles badly, so use a custom fan and temp curve, and yes it will make the fan noisier. If you don't have good case ventilation you might consider opening the side of your case too. I am attaching my Wattman settings for reference. I would not overclock anything just set the power limit I have and the fan curve and see it that does not help. I am able to run Apex at 1440p at acceptable frame rates without crashing. Have I had some crashes yes, but it's game related crashes not my GPU. The game is still a bit buggy. I get the same crashes on my 2 nvidia rigs too. 

My settings:

0 Likes

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB

Driver: 19.3.1

OS. Microsoft Windows 10

Reproduction: happens randomly in game, sometimes immediately when I drop, sometimes during closing out screen, sometimes while running around, no clear indicator.

Video Settings Used: The lowest of low. Texture Streaming Budget 1-2GB, everything off or low , sometimes insta closes the game, sometimes display freeze and then crash.

0 Likes

GPU: rx6600

Driver: 23.7.1

Reprouction Steps: it crashes after every 30 min no matter what i am doing in game!

Video Settings Used: max

0 Likes
zoko91
Journeyman III

Hello dear AMD community,

First of all

-GPU: rx480

-Driver: 19.2.2

-Reproduction step: Play and it'll happen randomly

-Video settings used: Everything in low, 8gb of VRAM, 1080p, also tried 720 but still same crashes.

Also,

Similar problems or crashes but nobody knows why only for amd graphics card owners happened in fortnite in the past. Don't get me wrong I know what Im saying. 

I wonder if it is still really worth buying amd GPU's but at least I won't recommand it to anyone know.

Communication of fixes really poor.

I have no problems on any other games, playing overwatch at 300fps without any issue. 

0 Likes
benlolo
Journeyman III

I have an RX 480 and here is what I did to attempt to solve the issue. 

1. Disable full screen optimization by right clicking on the desktop icon, properties, compatibility, and check disable full screen optimization.
  2. Download current Vega 64 drivers. The reason being I know someone with a Vega 64 and they had no issues so I decided to give it a shot and so far nothing bad has happened for him or myself since I downloaded them.
  3. N e v e r, E V E R   tab out. If you do, restart the game fully. 
  4. Pray the game doesn't crash 
0 Likes

If you set the game to borderless window, it looks like fullscreen and alt-tabbing doesn't mess stuff up as bad.

0 Likes

true,

also doesn't change anything for crashes

0 Likes
warzey
Adept I

GPU: RX 470 4GB

Driver: 19.1.1

Reproduction: It seems to happen at random, usually its during the game, but sometimes it happens during the initial jump. Game would freeze for a few seconds and then crash to desktop without any errors. The amount of crashes is very inconsistent, sometimes I won't have any crashes during the session, but sometimes it will happen in almost every game. 

Video Settings: High graphics settings, Full screen mode, vsync set to triple buffering, 1920x1080 resolution.

I'm not having issues with this game (but have not played it a lot) so wondering if it a setting you have different than me. I see you say you are using VSync Triple Buffering. I have VSync disable. You might try changing a setting at a time in the game menu and see if one of them actually makes a difference in game stability.

0 Likes

I've tried multiple stuff, vsync does not seem to influence anything. On the other hand, I feel like I had considerably more crashes when i run in borderless fullscreen. Of course all of this is very anecdotal. 

Most of the friends I play with use Nvidia cards and they're not complaining about random crashes. 

It's unfortunate but true that many games optimize for the one team over the other. At this point most are optimizing for NVidia. It really give AMD an unfair black eye. AMD is up-to-date with true DX12 support, they have always contributed to and promoted open standards. So much of why games will run on NVidia is that instead of the game developers actually making sure they are following the DX standards they are actually coding for the GPU and and proprietary technologies. Such as CUDA  and now RTX. The list goes on and on over the last 20+ years of NVidia trying to keep it unbalanced in their favor and not jumping on open standards that help the community as a whole.

That being said it doesn't excuse AMD for having almost uncountable issues with their drivers in how they control their own hardware not so much as the gaming drivers they seem overall pretty good. But again there are those handful of titles that just run better on NVidia and unfortunately some of those are some very popular games. I don't know if AMD cant or wont fix those issues. They have had plenty of time with many of those games to have it fixed if it is possible. Then you have games like Warcraft and more so with PUBG that are just bad engines that don't work great on anybody's hardware.

I currently have 10th gen Nvidia cards my first green cards in over 15 years. To be honest they work fantastic. The older game support though still sucks compared to AMD. I am actually picking up an RTX 2060 to try out, got it on an open box deal at Micro Center for under 300 bucks. I really am just wanting to verify for myself what it does at 1440p, I see a lot of conflicting information online in benchmarks. Will report back what I find.

I really have enjoyed supporting AMD, I love supporting the underdog. Plus the products were top notch for so long but this last 1.5 years since Wattman driver came out and the instability of the latest products. Plus the flagship products being so overpriced for the performance level. AMD is IMHO in bad need of a return to their roots, top notch products at a great price. I have not lost hope, I hope navi and beyond knocks our socks off. It's just been too long and too little at this point.

Same with me--exact description of occurrence. 

Win 10

ASRock Z77 MB

i5-3570

R9 280x (19.2.1--also had two versions back, as well as 19.1.1, and it still crashed the same ways)

16gb DDR3

1 Potato

bloodykinggr
Adept II

If you crash and you enter to desktop without error there is no driver problem don't blame AMD, NVIDIA has exactly the same problem. Plenty of people have this issue including me. Developers know about it and there planning to fix it as soon as possible. Check EA's forums it's full of this crash thing

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blame this one on AMD. As you said, game is crashing all over the place, I've tried multiple different "fixes" with no success. The problem is that nobody knows what exactly is causing the crashes, so I'm just checking and providing feedback where I can. 

What led me to believe that it might be problem with AMD is that my friends with nvidia cards didn't complain about crashes. 

honestly it is likely a bit of everyone issue to fix. Reporting the issues to all parties like you are doing is the very best thing you can do!

0 Likes

Yes I understand that. Well, the only sure is that this annoying crash will be fixed. They already deployed a patch last week for PS4. The devs seems to know what their doing not like blueballs no worries from me just patience 

moppen
Journeyman III

GPU: AMD RX 580 Sapphire edition
Drive : 19.2.1

Reprouction Steps: I start a match i play like 5-10min then the game freezes and quits to desktop without any error.

Video Settings Used: Everything on the lowest

I also tried switching over to my old nivida GPU and i never crash when i use that. I also reinstalled windows and the game without any luck. Ive tried all these fixes where you try to run the game in win 7 comp, fullscreen opt, and capping frames at 60 FPS also without any luck. 

It would be great to play the game, looks like there is more people having trouble on AMD card then on Nivida.

0 Likes
alancp
Adept I

Anyone actually found a fix for this or is it completely in Apex Legends hands? I'm probably going to try driver 19.1.1 since it's recommended.

0 Likes
moppen
Journeyman III

I feel like its a FPS limitation problem. Since if i lock my frames to 60 FPS i do not crash. Havent crashed in like 20 games

Limiting the FPS didn't help in my case. Still a problem on Apex's side.

alancp
Adept I

Okay I have found something very interesting. I had made it through 10 minutes of a game, which is very seldom, then my game stuttered, froze and crashed. Weirdly enough, the game then reopened itself some 30 seconds later and continued from exactly where I crashed, except I was outside the circle and downed. I then made it to the end of that game, started a new one and the game crashed on landing, but this time didn't reopen. Anyone else experienced this?

alancp
Adept I

I have managed to fix the game from crashing. I reverted to driver version 18.2.2. I done all the usual stuff such as repairing the game, cleaning the temporary Origin folder from within %appdata% and updating all other computer drivers such as the chipset.

I then launched the game with these launch options:

+fps_max 60 -refresh 60 -dev -console -preload -threads 4 -forcenovsync -fullscreen -high -dxlevel 95

Obviously change these settings as per your requirements. E.G. change - FPS/REFRESH/THREADS

Also it's worth mentioning that I run the game at 1080p in all Low settings except for Anti-Aliasing (x2) and Model Detail (Medium).

Hope this helps someone else too.

Wait, so what card do you have? I have an R9 280x...I can't find 18.2.2 on the AMD site for my card. For my card, rolling back to Win 8.1 gives me the driver: 17.7.1

Do I install that one?

0 Likes

If for some reason the link from the driver page isn't giving you a specific driver, look for the driver under another card choice. As long as it is a desktop driver not apu they are all the same. You can verify that it supports your card when downloaded by reading the release notes. Only issue you might have is if tried to load a driver that pre-dated your card. If you are having issues with the AMD site, guru3d_com has links to most of the older drivers too on their site. 

0 Likes

I've tried 18.2.2 driver without any launch options and still have crashes, although I feel like they happen less often. 

I'm currently trying to run with launch options and I did not have any crashes so far (in a 2 hour session), I'll update if crash occurs. 

UPDATE: Game still randomly crashes. 

0 Likes