Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rngjuice
Journeyman III

Ryzen 2200g GPU Freezes during Game

Issue Description:

During some games (Hearthstone mostly, CS:GO it happens less frequently) the GPU will freeze, then come back after 10 seconds.

Computer doesn't crash, windows is responsive in the background, but the game freezes due to the GPU freezing.

Happened at stock settings, and I've tried using Ryzen Master to OC, no change.

I've updated windows, drivers, etc.

I've tried using regedit to set TDRdelay to 8 seconds

Attached a screenshot from taskmgr - shows the GPU essentially "flatlined" at 0, meanwhile the disk 0 (C: drive) is spiked to 100%.

Also attached a screenshot from Ryzenmaster - shows the profile I'm trying to apply.  I've tried to set CAS Latency to 15, not 16, but upon restart Ryzen Master doesn't show all changes applied... which is weird.  Some work, some don't.

Hardware:

Ryzen 3 2200g after-market cooler

Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H

2x 4GB DDR 2400 HyperX Fury

Kingston 480Gig SSD

Software:

Win 10 home

these are the drivers I installed:

mb_driver_chipset_b450_w10_18.10.20.02

mb_driver_lan_realtek_10.026.0521.2018

mb_driver_audio_realtek_8475_dch

mb_bios_ga-ab350m-ds3h-v2_f2a

win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-2019-edition-18.12.3-dec19

0 Likes
8 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

rngjuice, I am curious why you have SMT turned off?  Please do a Clear CMOS, especially if you do not intend this.  Please be sure to get your AMD drivers from the AMD Driver Download site.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

John,

Thank you for the reply - how do I turn it on?  It's permanently "greyed out" in all profiles of Ryzen Master.  It has never been 'ON'.

Should I reset to default settings in Ryzen Master and start fresh?

Coincidentally - most attempts I currently make changing settings in RM require me to restart clearing the CMOS (read: the PC won't restart on it's own without clearing CMOS).  no changes stick.

0 Likes

Sorry, rngjuice, I am wrong.  The 2200G does not support SMT.  Please see here:

2200G.jpg

Please open an AMD Online Support Ticket.  The specifications says it is Unlocked but ask Support - your experience says it is locked or RM is messed up (as it has been the last few weeks).  Please let us know what you learn.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Thanks for clarifying John. Update:

I have cleared CMOS and successfully booted into BIOS, managed to recover "default settings" ... so, seemingly all good there.

So I'm asking advice - do you currently recommend avoiding using RM to OC the CPU, APU, RAM etc.?  Should I wait for an update / driver to be released?

0 Likes

rngjuice, I do not OC, so cannot really advise.  You will need to decide, but I suspect if you keep you temperature below the maximum, you should be OK.  I do encourage you to open a ticket and ask AMD if the maximum is really 105C.  The 2200G is the only processor I have seem above 95C.  I recommend that AMD drivers be DLed only from the AMD Driver Download site, not the MB vendor.  I also get all my drivers from manufacturers not the MB Vendor.  Make sure you have the latest drivers and UEFI (BIOS) and you should to go.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
rngjuice
Journeyman III

Current theory: Windows power plan

So far I have figured out that the disk usage rising to 100% at the same time as the CPU / GPU flat-lining to zero is related, but the root-cause (I believe) is actually the windows power plan... took some googling to find that answer.

As such, I've changed the windows power plan from "balanced" to "high performance" - so far, no repeats of the freezes.  I will update in a day or two with more results.

0 Likes
rngjuice
Journeyman III

Second update: freezes came back after the changes to windows power plan.  Symptoms remain the same: computer freezes, CPU flatlines to zero, disk usage spikes to 100%

Tried disconnecting SSD cable and reconnecting (both board and drive), changed from SATA port 0 to port 1.  No improvement.

0 Likes

The APU is not really well suited for gaming. Go find a RX 560 and use that for games so you can keep the CPU from baking in the heat.

0 Likes