AnsweredAssumed Answered

Fan curves not curving/ramping

Question asked by thegreatfalcon5 on Dec 14, 2018
Latest reply on Dec 16, 2018 by mineplay011

Hi,

I have an XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB and have installed the lastest drivers (Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.2).

I have adjusted the fan curve as required to keep the card cool under load (almost 100% all the time...) and everything works as commanded: The fan go to their requested speeds at the requested temperature.

However, this is the problem here: they don't ramp up. They just go straight to the specified % without fading or anything. Like at 80C they'll go from say 60% to 70% all of a sudden. No smooth ramping from 60% to 70% fan as the card goes up in temps. The card being very loud at anything above 50% fan this is quite anoying as under gaming condition the fan will spin faster/slower randomly instead of simply easing it's way to the requested %.

Is this normal operation? Is there something wrong with my card? Maybe I don't have the correct drivers?

Sidenote: When leaving the fans to auto, they seem to ramp from one % to another. However, for a reason that escapes me, the fans won't ramp up over like 25-30% even when the card reaches temps above 90C (instead the Radeon Settings software shows a useless notification: Your card exceeded recommended temps)

Thanks

Attachments

Outcomes