24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 8:13 PM by elstaci

Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU

schlitzbull

I just got done trying to change coolers on my 2700x. After removing the latches, the heat sink would not pull off the CPU with a normal amount of force. I slighted turned the cooler to the left and right to try to break the seal. When it would give, I gently pulled straight up. However,the CPU had melded with the heatsink and was ripped out during removal. I have a couple of bent pins on one corner. I assume AMD is going to tell me to kick rocks as far as warranty goes but I figured I would check.

I've been building computers since my late teens and i'm now in my 30s. I would not consider myself a novice.

Thanks.

• Re: Swapping stock cooler ripped out CPU
          schlitzbull

Also, is it possible this has done damage to my socket? There is no resistance on the latch anymore.

misterj

schlitzbull, sounds like you were using liquid metal for TIM - known to destroy AMD processors.  This is a user forum and most who help here do not work or speak for AMD (I certainly do not).  Please open an AMD Online Support to contact AMD.  I think if you post a picture here of your socket, then someone will comment.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

schlitzbull

I used the thermal paste that came on the cooler. Ive already opened a tickey, was just curious if anyone on the forums had gone through this before.

fnordie

hi misterj!

how do have the idea he used liquid metal paste?

i ripped out my older FX cpu too... i am sure that it was because of the FACTORY APPLYED TIM on the boxed cooler. these pre applyed thermal "pads" are much harder than actual paste, especially when cold and old.

first thing on my ryzen was removing the factory thermal paste.

i am VERY careful when i remove AMD coolers. let the system run hot so paste is softer.

schlitzbull

my fx cpu/socket was fine after beeing ripped out.

i am very sorry, maybe you can bend the pins straight with a mechanical pencil? look for tutorials

@AMD

I hope we get a better (ripp out proof like threadripper or intel) socked design some day. warrany should cover this!!

schlitzbull

Tech suppory just responded with their warranty information and bolded

"incorrect installation". I was hesitant to buy AMD in the first place.

Never again. Its too bad too because it was a nice CPU.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            gwlin

You are suppose to heat up the CPU heatsink to melt the phase change thermal paste before removing the unit.

elstaci

LoL, You knew they were going to say that. When the Ryzen was ripped out and damaged it was due to Customer Error which nullifies the Warranty.

Try bending the pins back again. From my experience it probably will break unless you find a way to bend them back without breaking. They are very fragile since they are so tiny and thin.

schlitzbull

Not sure exactly how that that is customer error. Unless by design the

cooler should rip out the cpu. I even made sure the CPU was in use prior to

removal. Temps hovering in the mid 60s. It is whatever. Ill mess with the

pins later this week. Same thing happened with Kyle at . But im sure hes

just a noob just like me.

fnordie

If you look on Reddit and forums it's posted regularly. It's a common problem IMHO. I agree.

heat up cpu before removal, sure but is this writtenin the manual? i can not remember such a thing. also the bond can become very hard even when hot, when the surfaces "match".

IMHO it would be more user friendly if they include a small pack of thermal paste with the boxed coolers. so it can not dry out while in the warehouse. (when it happened to me i blamed the stock TIM) but paste for ryzen is better than on fx.

elstaci

Wasn't trying to degrade your comment. But generally, Customer Error is any error that doesn't involve a defective CPU,  Imho.  Like installing or removing the CPU or installing or removing the CPU Cooler, As far as I am concerned, Manufacturers don't have any controls on how Users physically install or remove their hardware except showing them instructions on the proper way to do it. If you damage the hardware, the Manufacturers are going to say that you installed, removed, or incorrectly used it (Overclocking etc) causing the damage.

Even though the CPU Cooler adhered to the Ryzen and you ended up damaging it while removing it, That isn't AMD fault that occurred unless you can prove to AMD that the Thermal paste was defective which caused the Cooler to adhere strong enough to rip off your Ryzen and damage it in the process.

Was the Ryzen properly installed tightly?  Isn't the Ryzen installed in a bracket with screws?

I can sympathize with you about what happened. Same thing happened to my FX 8350 CPU. I needed to refresh the Thermal Paste after more than a couple of years due to overheating issues. When I unlatched the CPU Cooler and tried to lift it, it was difficult. Eventually when I lifted the CPU cooler off it removed my CPU with it. Luckily it wasn't damaged. The thermal paste (Non AMD) had hardened from being old and heated for so long that it acted like like a glue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                            fnordie

I also was lucky and my FX and board survived.

Non threadripper Ryzen cpu use AM4 socket, looks same as AM3 of your FX 8350.

I think the cpu will be fine if no pin broke off.

And it can happen with any paste I know.

Also Ryzen have decent stock coolers I think made by cooler master, so paste is good.

elstaci

I don't have a Ryzen, but I thought they were all installed with a bracket and screwed down on the motherboard. If non-ThreadRippers are attached the same way as AM3+ CPU then the Motherboard manufacturers are going to need to find a better way of securing these CPUs securely so that won't come out.

schlitzbull

It has two plastic pieces that screw to the motherboard. Each one has a tab. The cooler attaches to each tab and then has a retention clip on it.

This has gone exactly as I expected. I guess the homer in me thought it might have gone different. I'll post later in the week when I have time to try to fix the pins.

elstaci

Hope you are able to bend the pins back erect, otherwise you will have a very expensive paperweight.

elstaci

Hopefully your Motherboard's plastic brackets for the CPU weren't damaged when the Ryzen CPU came out forcefully. If the Ryzen is not properly secured you are going to have CPU problems or it won't boot up due to not making proper contact with the motherboard especially with the vibrations from the CPU cooler while running.

Don't know if those brackets can be replaced or sold separately. I know that 3rd party CPU Coolers come with their own brackets which you can install on the motherboard and replaces the Motherboard's own install CPU Brackets.

When I installed my Cooler Master Hybrid 212 EVO CPU cooler, I needed to remove the old Motherboard's brackets (Lever type) to be able to install the new brackets (Uses screws) that would hold the new CPU Cooler to the CPU.

misterj

fnordie, I have seen pictures of Ryzen using liquid metal TIM and it looked like the kind of mess that could result in the processor and HS fusing together.  I have not used a boxed processor in a long time and have bought my own CPU Coolers - usually AIO water.  Enjoy, John.

schlitzbull

Thanks for all the insight guys. Everything appears to be working ok now. Ended up bending the pins back into place. I'm in the process of re-installing Windows. The PC at least turns on now. I did one Windows install and it seems to be acting a little funny but it was weird from the get go with this sata m.2. So hopefully it was just a wonky Windows install and i'll be back to normal soon.