24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 8:16 AM by vzzoli

Ryzen 7 2700x freezing on Windows 10

ethaniel

Hello,

My new AMD Ryzen 7 2700x is freezing on Windows 10 x64.

CPU: 2700x

MB: Biostart B350GTN (with latest bios - B35AK417.BSS AGESA Pinnacle PI 1.0.0.2a update)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC DIMM CL14 (2x4GB) Black (CMK8GX4M2A2400C14)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GT 610

PSU: Plenty Superblack 3 550W (Dec 2016)

I've just finished installing Windows 10 on this new build and I've noticed that Windows hangs randomly. Sometimes during boot, sometimes a few minutes in.

I've read through the forums, tried disabling C-State in the BIOS, didn't help.

Any ideas?

• Re: Ryzen 7 2700x freezing on Windows 10
          misterj

ethaniel, you look way short on power.  I suggest 750 Watts.  Hopefully you can borrow one for testing.  Enjoy, John.

ethaniel

I don't know if it makes a difference, but on some boots I manage to run Prime95 (the cpu stress test) on all 16 threads for 5-10 minutes. I'll try to borrow a 750w though.

misterj

Thanks, ethaniel.  Please see this thread.  Enjoy, John.

ethaniel

PS Calculator shows 319w for me which means that my 550w PSU should be OK.

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 23.55.38.png

misterj

Thanks, ethaniel.  I hope you will still try to borrow a 750 and let us know if it corrects the problem.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Is your memory on the Vendor MB Qualified List?

waltc

The problem is not overall wattage--it's usually an issue of amperage on the 12v rail--that rail feeds your cpu, and if it's not high enough, especially if the rail is shared in the PSU, you are going to have problems with the CPU that occur when when the shared rails subtract amps from the 12v rail to feed a temporary spike on another voltage rail in the system..  I don't know why people get these really low wattage psu's and think that wattage is everything--actually, you might say that amperage is actually more important.   As a rule, the higher the wattage rating the higher the amperage on the 12v rail--cheap psu's however, often scrimp on the 12v rail amperage. 

Off hand I would not think that a 95W TDP would be a problem for a 105W TDP cpu, as some leeway is always designed into the better mboards.  That said, I've never owned a Biostar mboard--and always thought of them as relatively "budget" in terms of cost and components used.  And if you are planning to overclock the 2700X then there's a good chance you'll have trouble, either with the mboard or the PSU or both--so I would advise strictly staying at default cpu clocks!  I have a 95W TDP motherboard and an R5 1600 clocked @3.8GHz  (from the stock clock of 3.2 GHz--a whopping 600MHz overclock achieved by simply upping the multiplier)--but my cpu has a TDP of 65W, so there is plenty of room to spare for cpu overclocking--and my PSU is a 750W  Corsair, with a *single* 12v rail of 62Amps.  Never have trouble with it.  If your PSU is any good at all should have the 12v rail amperage listed in a label on the PSU itself.  Check it out.

My advice would be the following three steps in order:

1) Set all of your clocks in the system back to stock settings--cpu, gpu, etc.  If that doesn't work...

2) Replace your PSU as recommended with one that has at least 60 Amps on the 12v rail (if single) or if multiple rails, when added together.  If that doesn't work...

3) Replace the motherboard with a better brand that supports a higher TDP

But all else being equal, you'll likely correct the problem by step 2, above, I should think.   

losschris

I had this same problem, I enabled wi!n 10 support and disabled c state in bios on my X470 msi gaming pro fixed it.

ethaniel

losschris what's the "win10 support"? I heard about the "disable c-state", but not "win10 support".

losschris

For me it was on my MSI X470 Gaming Plus Pro called Win 10 WHQL Enable.  It seemed to help with the issues of hardware, not sure every motherboard manufacturer has it though.  Another thing I found is putting your power options into High Performance and turning off PCI link state to disabled. 

misterj

losschris, I have never heard of "wi!n 10 support".  All W10 x64 drivers must be WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Laboratory) signed.  Only signed drivers should be used on W10 systems.  Non-signed drivers must be forced installed in W10 x64, so do  not get there easily.  I don't know what corrected your problem,  but signing - probably not - maybe c-state.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: ethaniel, how goes the 750 Watt test?

waltc

What he's talking about is UEFI mode secure boot--that's what some motherboards--like the MSI mboards--call that option.  Turn off the "Windows 10WHQL support" in the bios and secure boot is turned off.  Frankly if you are going to turn off secure boot you might as well not be using UEFI mode at all, as secure boot is the whole purpose behind UEFI...;)  I cannot see how turning secure boot off would benefit anyone, unless they are trying to boot Win10 with something they shouldn't be running that secure boot doesn't like, and so in that case the system will simply refuse to boot until you turn off secure boot.  But then you are booting with something that may be compromising your system, etc.

vzzoli

Hi,

Are you installed the latest windows release? Few days ago I bought a ryzen config with 2700x to replace the old Intel. I moved the old system disk into the new machine. The windows worked well, but I read that recommended to reinstall on a new machine especially in the case of Intel-Amd platform change. I had 2 older Windows 10 iso (both were approx. 2 year old). I installed both, and faced same issue. The machine randomly freeze totally. Usually in this case I take the machine to rma, because it seems to a hardware error but I remembered I used to work with the old (but updated) windows half a day without any problems. Finally I made a windows installer on a microsoft site with the mediacreation tool which uses the latest version and installed. Since then it is works well. I hope it solve your problem too